Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Worst Protagonists Ever

Castle Bleck

(edited)

Bubsy (Bubsy series).

Drake (Drake Of The 99 Dragons).

Jake Conway (Ride To Hell: Retribution).

Patroklos (Soul Calibur V).

"Donte" (DmC: Devil May Cry).

My reaction to all of them:

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

Drake (Drake of the 99 Dragons)

The try hard is strong with this one.

5 minutes ago, A.V. said:

Bubsy (Bubsy series).

I like Bubsy, though.

(edited)

- Aiden Pierce from Watch_Dogs, he ruins everyone's lives for his own personal gain for the sake of revenge.......and he's can't even be entertaining about it, he's such a boring character that's hard to give a shit about
- Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII, literally just a female version of Cloud, minus everything that made him interesting. Only whored out because of her creator's obsession with her the point of parody

Edited by PathfinderCS
  • Brohoof 1

Ted Hadrup/Hartrup from the Negotiator series by Zap Dramatic. He's supposed to be the hero, but with all the atrocities he commits in the series, he may as well be the main villain. Character shilling, being the favorite character of Michael Gibson, it just makes Ted overall very unlikable.

(edited)
54 minutes ago, PhantomJuice said:

Reboot Dante (or Donte) is totally the worst protagonist ever, or basically any try hard character that tries to looks cool and edgy, but fails horribly.

Not to mention he ignores everything that made the original cool. Dante was cheesy, Donte was edgy. Dante was a goofy pizza-loving, fun rock star looking demon hunter; Donte was a sailor mouthed edgelord who thinks talking about how big his dick is and being vulgar makes him cool. The atrocious PR following that didn't help matters at all

Spoiler

DmC-My Name Is Dante by nevachen

Edited by Alvin Yakitori

Meliodas (Seven Deadly Sins)

Not only is he overpowered just because, but he also regularly sexually assaults the female protagonist. Yes, I'm calling it what it is. It is played up so lightly in that show. Like it's not even the accidental falling into a female character's breasts you typically see in anime, it's just straight-up groping... First happening when she is unconscious, and the show always tries to play it up as "cute", but it's really gross.

If he were just a cliche overpowered protagonist without all of that, I wouldn't even be mentioning him here, but that is grounds for the worst protagonist for me. I'm sure there are other toxic ones out there that I don't know of or am just not thinking of.

Boo from Dragon Ball Z, I mean the Saga gave us some epic fights.  Just it felt heartless a lot of the times.

Ash from Pokemon - Okay, he's not the worst ever, but it always drove me nuts how he had to use his Pokedex on Pokemon he's already seen before. Like in the B&W series, he actually used his Pokedex on a Koffing. James from Team Rocket had a Koffing, which Ash fought many times. And I hate how he hardly tries to catch any Pokemon he encounters. In one episode he had the chance to catch a freaking Gyarados, but just didn't bother to. 

(edited)
On 4/6/2018 at 9:47 AM, Phill said:

Ash from Pokemon - Okay, he's not the worst ever, but it always drove me nuts how he had to use his Pokedex on Pokemon he's already seen before. Like in the B&W series, he actually used his Pokedex on a Koffing. James from Team Rocket had a Koffing, which Ash fought many times. And I hate how he hardly tries to catch any Pokemon he encounters. In one episode he had the chance to catch a freaking Gyarados, but just didn't bother to. 

My main complaint is about him always losing in his championships, tournaments, etc.

Sure, a Gary Stu who always wins can be too boring, predictable, etc.... But so can a constant chump, ironically.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'll get a lot of flak for this, but Gordon Freeman from the Half-Life series.

It's like he hardly exists, aside from everybody trying to start a conversation with a guy that's clearly a mute who has no interest in keeping one. I haven't even played much Half-Life and it already annoys me. It really doesn't work and just makes for the most awkward interactions ever.

(edited)
On 4/5/2018 at 9:01 PM, Whomps said:

- Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII, literally just a female version of Cloud, minus everything that made him interesting. Only whored out because of her creator's obsession with her the point of parody

IMO, XIII in general is worst FF.

And worse, they made a whole trilogy out of it.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

On 6/4/2018 at 4:29 AM, Kelldrick said:

Ted Hadrup/Hartrup from the Negotiator series by Zap Dramatic. He's supposed to be the hero, but with all the atrocities he commits in the series, he may as well be the main villain. Character shilling, being the favorite character of Michael Gibson, it just makes Ted overall very unlikable.

To be fair, all the characters in the Negotiator series are assholes with barely redeeming qualities. The best one in the cast is Duke only because "he's a terrorist".

• Brohoof 1

On 6-4-2018 at 5:51 AM, Envy said:

Meliodas (Seven Deadly Sins)

Not only is he overpowered just because, but he also regularly sexually assaults the female protagonist. Yes, I'm calling it what it is. It is played up so lightly in that show. Like it's not even the accidental falling into a female character's breasts you typically see in anime, it's just straight-up groping... First happening when she is unconscious, and the show always tries to play it up as "cute", but it's really gross.

If he were just a cliche overpowered protagonist without all of that, I wouldn't even be mentioning him here, but that is grounds for the worst protagonist for me. I'm sure there are other toxic ones out there that I don't know of or am just not thinking of.

I felt the same way, it was the one thing that turned me off from the series back then. However, after the recent chapters and reveals I'm more understanding of Meliodas' character. I'm not condoning it, but the backstory of Meliodas and Elizabeth is so incredibly sad and unfair. It has done some messed up things to his psyche, yet he still is a good person underneath. I'm surprised he never totally lost himself and gave in to despair.

He "only" groped Elizabeth and he never did it with any other female character. I can honestly say that he deeply cares for her, more than anything in the world.

Edited by JH24

2 hours ago, JH24 said:

I felt the same way, it was the one thing that turned me off from the series back then. However, after the recent chapters and reveals I'm more understanding of Meliodas' character. I'm not condoning it, but the backstory of Meliodas and Elizabeth is so incredibly sad and unfair. It has done some messed up things to his psyche, yet he still is a good person underneath. I'm surprised he never totally lost himself and gave in to despair.

He "only" groped Elizabeth and he never did it with any other female character. I can honestly say that he deeply cares for her, more than anything in the world.

I've heard the series later puts some context that eases some people's minds... BUT no matter what context it is put in, I can't justify Meliodas groping Elizabeth while she is unconscious. She was not consenting, and even if there is some fate that ties them together the time for sexual interaction can only be after she has come to realize it and is consenting. It just isn't justified at all. It's such a simple concept, too, a Shonen series should be above that. I mean a lot of Shonen have some crappy humor (like My Hero Academia and that one perverted kid) but at least in those series those perverts get punished. Although the series are taking their actions lightly, they're at least showing some level of overarching moral saying "This is wrong" that the reader/watcher can grasp onto. SDS shows none of that. Meliodas is not some wild savage. He should know better, or be shown better.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Roman Reigns: *Ignores suspension, trespasses, resists arrest, and attacks U.S. Marshals -- just in the first few minutes of one Raw.*

In the words of Linkara, "Our hero, everybody!"

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

On 4/6/2018 at 7:47 AM, Phill said:

You're right. He's not the worst ever. But if a few adjustments to his character were made then he'd be far better.

Ferris Bueller from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  I just hate how he disregards the rules all the time, drag his friends into his mess, and never face consequences for his actions.  His attitude of being able to do whatever he wants with no consequences just rubs me the wrong way.   I was rooting for his sister to finally expose him to their parents, to be perfectly honest.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

Ferris Bueller from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  I just hate how he disregards the rules all the time, drag his friends into his mess, and never face consequences for his actions.  His attitude of being able to do whatever he wants with no consequences just rubs me the wrong way.   I was rooting for his sister to finally expose him to their parents, to be perfectly honest.

I has ALWAYS bothered me that Ferris did not seem to give one shit that Cameron's Dad (or was it stepdad) was probably going to beat him to within an inch of his life over the car. So, while everyone I know LOVED that movie, I couldn't stand it because I was caught up thinking about what was going to happen to Cameron.

• Brohoof 1

Captain Janeway from Star Trek Voyager. The way she was written makes her very inconsistent. One episode she's a strict, by the book devotee to Star Fleet principals, making her rigid and inflexible. The next she wears her heart on her sleeve, her own emotions and personal ideals clouding her judgement. She calls out a villain or two for horrible things they've done, yet ignores all the rules she's broken and all the lives she's cost. 

Realistically, she would've been court martialed and sent to prison for her actions, not given a three rank promotion. 

On 20-4-2018 at 10:14 PM, Envy said:

I've heard the series later puts some context that eases some people's minds... BUT no matter what context it is put in, I can't justify Meliodas groping Elizabeth while she is unconscious. She was not consenting, and even if there is some fate that ties them together the time for sexual interaction can only be after she has come to realize it and is consenting. It just isn't justified at all. It's such a simple concept, too, a Shonen series should be above that. I mean a lot of Shonen have some crappy humor (like My Hero Academia and that one perverted kid) but at least in those series those perverts get punished. Although the series are taking their actions lightly, they're at least showing some level of overarching moral saying "This is wrong" that the reader/watcher can grasp onto. SDS shows none of that. Meliodas is not some wild savage. He should know better, or be shown better.

I totally understand. It made me uncomfortable back then and it still does now. Almost every scene where this happens makes me feel uneasy. It should be comedic relief, but it's overplayed and happening way too much. Although it's toned down later on. Not to mention Elizabeth just allows it, never does she say "enough is enough." Considering how much Meliodas loves her and would do anything for her, he would not go against her wishes.

My mind isn't really put at ease by the new reveals about their past if I look back at his behavior. But I do understand his character and his suffering better. Elizabeth is the only one who gives his existence meaning, she is his light and hope, and he loves her so much. 

I honestly think the series would have been better without those "scenes."

Edited by JH24

I don't like Kratos from God of War. I think it's easy to make a guess why. In the latest installment seems to rectify most, if not all his faults as a character

• Brohoof 1

On 4/20/2018 at 7:41 PM, Denim&Venom said:

Captain Janeway from Star Trek Voyager. The way she was written makes her very inconsistent. One episode she's a strict, by the book devotee to Star Fleet principals, making her rigid and inflexible. The next she wears her heart on her sleeve, her own emotions and personal ideals clouding her judgement. She calls out a villain or two for horrible things they've done, yet ignores all the rules she's broken and all the lives she's cost. 

Realistically, she would've been court martialed and sent to prison for her actions, not given a three rank promotion. 

IYO, who was more intolerable: her... or Wesley Crusher?