Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

the problem with canterlot in the mlp movie

F.A.D.E

the one thing that still bugs me about the mlp movie is canterlot's appearance. the fact that it looks completely different in the movie creates a continuity issue with the show. how did the city get the way it did in the movie? the only way i can explain it is that the entire city must have been renovated. but even that doesn't work as an explanation because in season 8 the city goes back to looking the same way it always has in the show. (with the exception of the throne room) how do you explain this? how does an entire city look different one day and then look the same as it has been the next? i can't wrap my head around it, it doesn't make sense to me. maybe i'm overthinking things.

• Brohoof 2

It’s because of two things

1. They were animating with a different program thus they would have to piece canterlot differently compared to the 2d animation in the show.

2. In the movie they were preparing for the festival in which canterlot would inherently be reorganized and thus look different.

But tbh I really think it was because they didn’t know how to capture the same look in the animation software. Canterlot is literally the only city/town from the show we see in the movie everything else was done from scratch and thus didn’t look out of place compared to the show because these cities and environments besides canterlot weren’t in the show to begin with.

• Brohoof 1

17 hours ago, The Whiteraven said:

It’s because of two things

1. They were animating with a different program thus they would have to piece canterlot differently compared to the 2d animation in the show.

2. In the movie they were preparing for the festival in which canterlot would inherently be reorganized and thus look different.

But tbh I really think it was because they didn’t know how to capture the same look in the animation software. Canterlot is literally the only city/town from the show we see in the movie everything else was done from scratch and thus didn’t look out of place compared to the show because these cities and environments besides canterlot weren’t in the show to begin with.

My point is, how do you reorganize an entire city? From a logical perspective it doesn't make sense, as you would have to displace a lot of people in order to take it apart bit by bit, which would take ages to do, and after all that is done, why go through the process again to change it back to normal? Sure, it's probably not meant to be taken this literally, but from a logical standpoint it's confusing. 

• 1 month later...

Well, lots of magic in these pony like creatures, so rearraging a city wouldn't be too hard.

But tbh, I agree with the others, probably wasn't really meant to be looked to much into... and we're even assuming we seen the majority of the city and not just like a section of it... and/or that's just the best they could do (or wanted to do) with the city for the movie.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2018 at 5:05 AM, Lucid_Nightlight said:

You know what bothers me!? The fact that Canterlot was taken over in 5 minutes! Where are the guards?

I expect defeated off camera. At least as far as I'm concerned there were massive battles between the guards, the wonderbolts (also captured) and various ponies who just stood up and fought. Its why some had muzzles and horn guards to ensure they couldn't keep causing trouble but when they mane 6 showed up with that cake the storm guards didn't react to their not having muzzles or rarity a horn guard. They just thought they were low risk prisoners who didn't try to fight.

Due to how limited resources in the TV show are what we got In the movie it's how the city is supposed to be looked like.