Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which form of Thorax do you like better?

Toastypk

Which Thorax do you like better?  

45 users have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Vanilla cheeselegs changeling
    • Noble technicolor lovebug

(edited)

large.pnglarge.png

I personally like his fancy good guy changeling design, but I know people have said they don't. So just wondering.

Edited by Toastypk
  • Brohoof 2

Though I like both, I prefer the original design from a visual point of view. I think his original design is cuter, though it resembles the (formerly) evil changelings. It fits his character very well – he is good but misunderstood by others.

On the other hand, while I don't like the new design quite as much as the original, the design change made the changeling reformation scene much more effective than it would otherwise have been. Both forms serve their purpose as such. :)

• Brohoof 2

Just now, PiratePony said:

The new form really matches his voice and personality.

This! Think of the Mane Six. Their visual design matches their personalities well. Same with Thorax in Love Bug form, as you stated. 

New form preferred, but Thorax is Thorax, no matter the form.

I've always described the transformation of his old form to his new form as going from a very hungry caterpillar to a beautiful butterfly.

Before Thorax's transformation, I thought they would always look like starving, intimidating creatures (pardon me for saying but they gave me the impression of zombies that feed on ponies when they first appeared). But the transformation made me realize the Changelings were meant to be like butterflies.

I'm OK with the new design now, but I still prefer his old form. It says more about a character when he looks like he'd be nasty but is really a sweetheart on the inside.

Besides, this will forever be my favorite shot of him:

post-25740-0-74777100-1489713750.png

Poor little puppy-dog-like changeling!

• Brohoof 1

The classic variant. It stands out from the world of bright pastels and technicolor that is Equestria. Thorax and the other changelings remaining the same could've been used to show the all embracing nature of friendship. Plus thee's something sorta cat like about the changelings. 

92aef383fe1da57400e82ac784d0f260.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I like the old design, but I'm not one of those fans going "REEEEE!!!!" over the new one, either.

I like his new design, and he definitely needed a change to fit the role of king, but I love the trope of finding beauty in unconventional things. I find good changelings quite cute, since my instinctual "beauty meter" is more tuned into character than looks.

Like, Thorax before he changed, while looking pretty much identical to other changelings, was quite cute to me. So was that changeling in Slice of Life. Artists have even managed to make Chrysalis cute (Not just in the sexy way, the huggable way. And I'm not talking about chibi, either.)

At the same time, King Thorax's design is a very good example of what I would think a king of the fairy horse people would be. And the changelings under him aren't bad, either. But if I were given a choice for what design I would want for reformed changelings, I would pick the original. Maybe his shiny wings, if there really had to be a visual difference.

Though if there was a separate race introduced that had the new designs, that would be even better.

At the same time, though, I understand the metaphor with the "metamorphosis into a beautiful butterfly." I remember liking the transformation, but then being sad that the old design was no more.

I really like both of his forms but I'm especially fond of his new form since he looks so fancy and shiny. What a majestic sight. :grin:

I prefer the new form.

For some reason, I felt like the older changelings looked alike too much as if Chrysalis was just constantly doing CTRL+C and CTRL+V in her hive.

Because even tough Thorax's his old design had some notable differences, it still wasn't something that would make you say "oh hey, there is thorax!" When he would be standing in a crowd full of changelings.

Also, I personally feel like his new form really emphasises his personality, not only did his design an upgrade, but it seems that his facial expressions had.

Let's be honest here, how can you not like thorax this way? 21cecda747f6aca23b4cd42a84c326cb.png

I liked how intimidating the changelings were, and I think altering their appearance discourages acceptance just because something doesn't look pretty. Thorax was also interesting as being the only changeling with a different perspective on things from the hive, and although I do think he has brought some good reform to the hive, he is not at all fit to be its ruler. Not all of the changelings look bad with their new designs, but Thorax looks ridiculous.

5 hours ago, SharpWit said:

I liked how intimidating the changelings were, and I think altering their appearance discourages acceptance just because something doesn't look pretty. Thorax was also interesting as being the only changeling with a different perspective on things from the hive, and although I do think he has brought some good reform to the hive, he is not at all fit to be its ruler. Not all of the changelings look bad with their new designs, but Thorax looks ridiculous.

Both forms have their symbolism that one can claim. The acceptance element actually works better for his new form due to how younger viewers (children under a certain age) look at their world. Showing a visual depiction of change actually sells the idea of not looking at external elements far better because of developmental psychology. Remember, the you have young viewers of this show are just now understanding things like empathy. 

Personally I just prefer the old version of Thorax, and even the old version of the changelings. The color pastels just never really appealed to me. They look silly and are now a joke of a once threating and fearful race.

12 hours ago, Mickey Adaptus said:

I prefer the new form.

For some reason, I felt like the older changelings looked alike too much as if Chrysalis was just constantly doing CTRL+C and CTRL+V in her hive.

Because even tough Thorax's his old design had some notable differences, it still wasn't something that would make you say "oh hey, there is thorax!" When he would be standing in a crowd full of changelings.

Also, I personally feel like his new form really emphasises his personality, not only did his design an upgrade, but it seems that his facial expressions had.

Let's be honest here, how can you not like thorax this way? 21cecda747f6aca23b4cd42a84c326cb.png

thumb.gif

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, Jeric said:

Both forms have their symbolism that one can claim. The acceptance element actually works better for his new form

And that's your claim.

I'll go with all those beautiful colors on the new one. I like the original design but the new look says so much about the true Thorax within and the real changes he's made. :sunbutt:

Edited by Dreambiscuit

All they had to do was take his original design, patch up the holes in his legs, change his palette to a less saturated combination, and his transformation would have been perfect.

I still don't like the new look. I'll take the original over Thorax the Green-nosed Reindeer any day.

• 2 years later...