Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony Fantasy 1 Hack WIP

Toastypk

Wanting some critique here: I just finished the Royal Guard overworld sprite, and these 16x16 sprites have a lot more space restrictions and rules, so it was harder than just pixel tracing an existing image. I looked at a few different screenshots to get it right, but with so much less space it isn't going to be perfect.

guardprev.png

Rules:

The top and bottom half use two different sets of three colors, which can be set to anything, and even be set to different things on different maps, so color accuracy isn't going to be paid attention to. For instance, since I have Orange, Peach, and Black on top and Red, Peach and Black on bottom, I can't have Red on the top half.

The bottom half of the forward and backward facing sprites flip horizontally when they walk, to give the impression of walking. Even sprites that don't walk will have the bottom half keep flipping. If you want a sprite that doesn't animate, it needs to be stationary and the bottom half needs to be mirrored. (It's flipping anyway, but you don't see a difference.)

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm working on sprites, I would like your input on something else.

A thing that I want to do is edit the map graphics too, and I've gathered a collection of tile graphics from various NES and Game Boy games, and a few things from Open Game Art. I was curious what you thought about these two redesigns, which aren't set in stone yet.

The first image is the original game, the second is the redesign.

compare.png

compare2.png

• 1 month later...

Update time!

All I need to do before I put out a demo is battle and overworld sprites for the mane 6, and overworld sprites for various NPCs, and I'm working slow on that. But I do have some various graphics works done, and one of the big things I've done is build the final room of the game!

Spoilers, obviously...

Spoiler

finalboss.png

At the end of the game, you encounter Sunset Shimmer at the Well of Shade, Pony of Shadows mural yet to be drawn, and she has the missing Element of Magic! She draws from the dark aura of the place, and puts the Element on, and thus starts the final battle with ponified Sunset Shimmer's demon form! (This is yet to be drawn too, and I hope to commission an artist to draw a good image of her! The sprite of Chaos is a 7:6 ratio, and I want to base a sprite trace on someone's artwork.)

And I've figured out yet another enemy fit.

The Tiger and Sabertooth will be that Yeti from the Frozen North!

tiger.pngthumb.png

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...

Well, it's quite a while since I posted here.

After the longest time of general stagnation and feeling stuck, it's only in recent weeks that things have really started rolling again, and there is much progress to show.

First and foremost, while hanging out at the Discord of a Mario fangaming site I've visited for years, I was showing bits of this game off, when I happened to find someone there named Lyraa who wanted to help with spriting! That was one of the major obstacles I had to overcome, and since then, he and I have worked on various bits and pieces, and now a demo of this game seems closer and closer to coming to reality!

Have a look at the Mane 6's battle sprites!

6poniesfinal.png

This was one of the big ones. The six main classes in Final Fantasy only share two palettes of three colors apiece, which meant that fitting a colorful cast into this space was no small feat! But having picked the colors to work with (and Pinkie having orange hair in the process), some amazing sprites were made! These were then further refined a bit until we came up with this! Not every single pose is changed yet. But I'm working on it!

someenemies.png

Along with this, I've done some more sprite tracing of enemies!

Here are the Nightmare, Dragon, Maulwurf, Windigo, and Living Armor.

These were all based on real screenshots from various place, but I made the sprites by resizing them and tracing them! And I'm honestly pretty pleased with the results!

I don't have a time table on when I can release a demo yet, but everything is getting closer and closer to being ready!