Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Goth ponies in MLP

ManaMinori

I can't tell you guys just how much I appreciate the fact that goth ponies have been getting more more screentime in this series. For starters, i feel like the iclusion of gothic ponies challenges the stereotype of traditional mythical horses (primarily unicorns) being all sunshine and rainbows, pure maiden shpeal. There are many, many misconceptions about "goth", which many mistake for "emo", and I feel like episodes such as "Fake it Til You Make It" and "Rarity's Boutique" don't really put the goth ponies in the proper light, treating them more like emos rather than goths, which is disappointing. However, I appreciate them being included in the show, if only they were focused on long enough to allow them personalities and development beyond their miscategorized stereotype.

4b2ef80c35ad9b5ef7dcfcf5cf1e8f2e83536659v2_hq.jpg

33f09dd69e65824c84db5b653d545a6b7fc4be56v2_hq.jpg

551ba66ee035232d0c7609d765aebdd1bb73b8f5v2_hq.jpg

• Brohoof 1

A little goes a long way. And yes there are many misconceptions regarding goth today, and like the people mistaking the valley girl accent as a millennial stereotype, people idiotically assume goth was born in when Hot Topic sprouted from the damned mall.

Stop appropriating my generation's stereotypes and our own temperal appropriations!!!! :P

• Brohoof 4

I appreciate seeing goth/emo characters as well. I love seeing other characters and how their styles differ.

I'm always glad to see more goth ponies, and goth Fluttershy was a highlight of the last episode, IMO. Generally, subcultures in Equestria would be an interesting topic for an episode, although I doubt that we'll ever see something like that. I'm still hoping for a pony gothic rock band though.

• Brohoof 2

On 4/8/2018 at 5:57 PM, cmarston1 said:

So far they have all looked pretty cute had interesting designs, so I can't say I would be opposed to seeing more goth ponies in the show.

honestly though, I'd appreciate the ones we have getting a sliver of development before they throw in any more, just for the sake of aesthetics.

The fact they look more colorful than most blend background ponies, I don't mind them.

Hell's Bells kid. I'm (just barely) old enough to remember the 50s & the Beats (later Beatniks) & I don't think they originated the stereotype either. I remember that one of their things was that they didn't applaud, just snapped their fingers

https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/howl-parts-i-iihttps://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/howl-parts-i-ii

(IDK, maybe the Lost Generation, post WWI?).

On 4/8/2018 at 5:19 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

Wait a second......

I just realized that this colt is (or might be) Edward Scissorhand ponified version. His outfit and a cutie mark of an snowflake kinda give it away.

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 5

On 4/8/2018 at 4:19 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

I can't tell you guys just how much I appreciate the fact that goth ponies have been getting more more screentime in this series. For starters, i feel like the iclusion of gothic ponies challenges the stereotype of traditional mythical horses (primarily unicorns) being all sunshine and rainbows, pure maiden shpeal. There are many, many misconceptions about "goth", which many mistake for "emo", and I feel like episodes such as "Fake it Til You Make It" and "Rarity's Boutique" don't really put the goth ponies in the proper light, treating them more like emos rather than goths, which is disappointing. However, I appreciate them being included in the show, if only they were focused on long enough to allow them personalities and development beyond their miscategorized stereotype.

Is that Edward Scissorhoofs? Almost felt like an terrible OC when he first show up, but now when I look at him, I can see the resemblance.

On 4/9/2018 at 5:15 AM, Oleks said:

I'm always glad to see more goth ponies, and goth Fluttershy was a highlight of the last episode, IMO. Generally, subcultures in Equestria would be an interesting topic for an episode, although I doubt that we'll ever see something like that. I'm still hoping for a pony gothic rock band though.

best profile picture in existance

8 hours ago, Mystic Brush said:

best profile picture in existance

It's not like the futility of existence can be made better with a gothic profile picture... but it helps.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Brainstorm said:

I wonder if that pony in "Fake It till you Make It" was either faking it or going through a phase, cause his Cutie Mark was a snowflake.

I don't think cutie marks determine what your fashion sense is...

• Brohoof 1

I was happy to see my profile pony make a comback as well as seeing Inky Rose and apparently Edward Scissorhooves. It’s good in general that there are different types of background ponies/supporting characters to make them stand out and show different view of Equestria.