Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do you think this movie holds up compared to the best Disney movies?

Azureth

Oh, it's not even in the same league. It's the Washington Generals and Disney Renaissance was the Jordan Bulls and Kobe/Shaq Lakers and the Tim Duncan Spurs combined.

• Brohoof 3

32 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

I thought the movie was pretty enjoyable, but I wouldn't really put on the level of movies such as Beauty and the Beast or Zootopia.

It's essentially the silver to their gold (or something).

Not even in the same league. Look the movie was good, but it wasn't that good. It beats The Black Cauldron, Pete's Dragon and Oliver & Company, but doesn't touch much else. 

• Brohoof 2

I can't say it competes with Disney's best, but on its own terms it's pretty great and avoids a lot of the mistakes that many of the more modern Disney movies make. It doesn't have to be super-ambitious to be a great movie. Most of the time I just want something that doesn't annoy me. Disney has more budget and resources to pour into their movies and it shows. The MLP movie has a lot of heart and perfect characters, which is more important to me than a polished product that's gone through the machine until it flawlessly gleams. 

Another good example is the Barbie movies. When I first discovered them I couldn't believe how well-written they were; better than a lot of Disney's movies. The budget was clearly lacking, but the writing was strong and that's what mattered to me. Not long afterward, Disney made the Tinkerbell movies to counter Barbie, throwing lots of money into them but coming up short of the writing and directing of the 'lesser' Barbie films. 

Long story short, not all that gleams is Disney. I'll take the hidden and lesser-known gems like MLP when they come along and enjoy them just as much (if not more). 

• Brohoof 1

I don't think it's anywhere near the best Disney movies (which to me means Lion King, Moana, and Zootopia) because I feel a lot of the plot consisted of moving from setpiece to setpiece and the villain was disappointing (Storm King, Tempest was cool). The songs were good, but none of them could match the grandeur of Circle of Life, or the optimism of How Far I'll Go.

• Brohoof 1

If I am completely objective, it doesn't really hold up to the best. Movies like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Great Mouse Detective, Huncheback of Notre Dame, Mulan, and Tarzan are better than the MLP film by far.

That said, I would rank the MLP movie above films like The Black Cauldron, Pocahontas, Hercules, Oliver & Company, Fox and the Hound, and I would probably rank it on PAR with Rescuers Down Under.

17 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

If I am completely objective, it doesn't really hold up to the best. Movies like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Great Mouse Detective, Huncheback of Notre Dame, Mulan, and Tarzan are better than the MLP film by far.

That said, I would rank the MLP movie above films like The Black Cauldron, Pocahontas, Hercules, Oliver & Company, Fox and the Hound, and I would probably rank it on PAR with Rescuers Down Under.

Pocahontas may have been historical inaccurate but at least the animation and music was excellent! Hercules had a funny villain and Fox and the Hound had an interesting friendship story with a bittersweet ending.

Just now, SwitchGuy2018 said:

Pocahontas may have been historical inaccurate but at least the animation and music was excellent! Hercules had a funny villain and Fox and the Hound had an interesting friendship story with a bittersweet ending.

Don't get me wrong; I do enjoy those three films, but compared to the MLP movie they fail to leave much of an impression on me; in the end. Whatever story they try to tell just feels a tad flat to me.

6 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

Don't get me wrong; I do enjoy those three films, but compared to the MLP movie they fail to leave much of an impression on me; in the end. Whatever story they try to tell just feels a tad flat to me.

That's not being objective. That's being subjective because of how it personally applies to you.

10 minutes ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

That's not being objective. That's being subjective because of how it personally applies to you.

If I were being objective I don't think the stories in those three are as interesting or are any more developed than what MLP has and as good as the animation in Pocahontas is it's not any better than the MLP film when it comes to color and lining (granted Disney nails the character movement much better). When it comes to Hades; no. He really isn't that funny.

59 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

When it comes to Hades; no. He really isn't that funny.

That's still subjective. You don't find him funny, but many others do.

8 minutes ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

That's still subjective. You don't find him funny, but many others do.

Admittedly you're right. I'll drop that argument considering.

Still; I can't realistically rate those three movies above the MLP film.

When referring to movies from the 80's and 90's I am pretty sure that they had more work put into their movies just as the MLP movie had. A lot of love went into these movies. A lot of movies these days have cut and paste predictable plot. The first time I watched Tarzan for instance, I hadn't expected for Colton (or whatever his name was) to turn on Tarzan. But in Frozen, I could see Hans turning on Anna the moment he came on screen. The MLP movie definitely mimicked the way plot was done back in the day. So in a scale of 1-100, 100 being an impossible to achieve score, it would rank around with Little Mermaid, (some number between 75 and 87ish.)

The MLP movie cannot be compared to the best Disney movies of the Renaissance animation era of the 80s and 90s. It can be seen as being of better quality to some of the ones that weren't well received though I don't need to mention names as Pathfinder already did so.

Look, I like the MLP movie just as much as the next pony, but at the end of the day, it was just GOOD. It doesn't really compare to a majority of animated Disney movies, particularly those release nowadays. With films such as Tangled, Frozen, Zootopia, and Moana setting an incredibly high standard for modern Disney classics, it's just sadly a standard that the MLP movie cannot stack up to in my opinion.:rarity: 

• Brohoof 2

Almost 20 years later and the Disney Renaissance movies still hold up. I still like Beauty & The Beast even though I nitpick the plot holes for fun. But the MLP movie doesn't hold a candle to the Disney Renaissance movies. I will say that it is way better than some cheap cash grab movies based on cartoons *COUGH* Tom & Jerry *COUGH*.

It will never beat The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Not even the Little Mermaid, not even the Fox and the Hound. The Rescuers Down Under even Beats the MLP FIM Movie

(edited)

It's an average family movie on its own(a season finale on steroids if you will) and was never gonna be able to stand toe to toe with even mediocre Disney films. Hell It's not even the best Hasbro movie, even calling it the best MLP movie is a stretch(one could make a strong case for Rainbow Rocks)

I love the movie as a fan, but even I knew it was never gonna live up to the insane expectations people were having for it

Edited by Whomps

• 3 months later...

It's a fantastic movie, and I don't think I'd ever get tired of watching it, but it just can't compare to the classics of the 80's and 90's. Those movies are on a whole different level. There's just certain aspects about them that we haven't seen in years. Maybe it's because animation was still a fairly new thing, maybe it's because it was the first time those stories were put into an animated movie, it's hard to say. 

I'm just really glad MLP descided to stick with (mostly) all 2d animation rather thsn 3d like everything else is these days. 

1 minute ago, Soctavia said:

It's a fantastic movie, and I don't think I'd ever get tired of watching it, but it just can't compare to the classics of the 80's and 90's. Those movies are on a whole different level. There's just certain aspects about them that we haven't seen in years. Maybe it's because animation was still a fairly new thing, maybe it's because it was the first time those stories were put into an animated movie, it's hard to say. 

I'm just really glad MLP descided to stick with (mostly) all 2d animation rather thsn 3d like everything else is these days. 

Yeah.