Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Things That Help You Fall Asleep at Night

Wonderbolt Slipstream

My soothing, hypnotizing eyes

Well, there are several ways and they are not for everyone. Some listen to music quietly, take drugs (for extreme meassures,) take the classic approach and drink some warm milk, or do self hypnosis.

I could go on for a bit, but it really depends. Some of these above me (besides the drugs) have helped me well.

• Brohoof 2

I used to listen to audio books but then I'd wake up upset at not having finished the story or not remembering where I left off. I find conversation in the background to be relaxing, I think it's something left over from my child hood. If I could hear my parents talking in the other room then all was well in the world or something like that. Nowadays I listen to soothing/low talking ASMR. There's thousands of videos on it but it can be difficult to find the right one sometimes since there's such a big focus on making you fell "tingly" as they put it, and the sound of tapping and crinkling plastic or paper just doesn't do it to me.

Other times I just choose to stay up late, sitting on the couch, wrapping up what I want to watch on YouTube, and normally I'll end it on a science video and wake up an hour later finding that I've fallen asleep to it, then crawl upstairs and pass out in bed immediately.

• Brohoof 1

Even though it's not actually guaranteed to work, imagining all kinds of pleasant scenarios helps me relax and fall asleep. I often imagine things like hanging out on a beach in a calming evening or general happenings featuring my OCs.

I've also been wondering if reading an absolutely boring book could make a person fall asleep faster. :D

So I have a few things, it all depends on what my mood is. Some might work for you, some might not, but I'd suggest giving them a shot. 

This one is best for headphones, please use them to get the desired effect.

Spoiler

Headphones again please:

Spoiler

Then at least Classical music works wonders for me. Here are some of me and my husband's favourites: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

If that doesn't work, or at least while listening to these. Focus on your breathing, in through your nose, out through your mouth until you relax, then just breathe as you normally do, but still keep focus on it. You should (at least most of the time) find yourself slipping away into sleep before you know it. You are not your thoughts, do not be afraid of them. If you have anxious thoughts, do the breathing to calm down, but once you do, and you put your day thoughts to the side, just let your brain play, don't try to focus on one thing or the other, just focus on your breathing---and let your mind get carried away with the music. See all the colours and images, and soon you should just lull right out. Let me know if that helps. Good luck, muchacho!

• Brohoof 1

When I need to fall asleep, I have a lot of little tools that help me. I have a cheap little battery-powered fountain with colored lights that I can put on my bedside table and that’s very soothing. I also use a variety of Echos of Nature CDs that play soothing sounds like waves crashing on the beach, rain in the woods, thunderstorms, crickets, etc. I keep a planetarium in my room to project stars on my ceiling and it’s very relaxing but it’s expensive and hard to find available now so it’s not the best option. If I get really worked up and I need to blow off steam I sometimes do deep knee bends (about 40 of them in quick succession) and that tires me out enough to get to sleep if I jump right in bed afterward.

I don’t like to recommend artificial means, but I sometimes take a small amount of Melatonin (about 1/4 mg), which is a life saver for me. It’s a natural supplement that needs only a small amount (bigger amounts don’t really increase its effectiveness). If I drink a half glass of wine it knocks me out pretty well too, but it makes me sleep deeper and wake up sooner, so it’s not the best solution. In extreme cases I use a tiny bit of Valium, but that’s prescription so it probably doesn’t apply as good advice. The natural means are always the best.

• Brohoof 2

I find that complete darkness and silence helps me go to sleep faster and keeps me asleep longer. 

However, due to my schedule at the moment, it's very difficult to find darkness or silence. So I've started taking melatonin supplements, which works like a charm. I've ended up putting a "blue filter" on my phone so the harsh light won't negate my melatonin levels before bed, and I've bought myself a sleep mask from the dollar store.

• Brohoof 1

Unless I am extremely tired, I can't sleep without some kind of relaxing noise in the background. I have a fan on most nights and sometimes I accompany that with an app that plays the sound of a rain storm. Either the sound of a rainstorm or a blizzard. That helps a lot. If I really have trouble sleeping some nights, then not much will help, so I listen to music to calm my mind. Usually anxiety is the reason if I can't sleep. 

• 1 month later...

The sound of rain falling, white noise, and my floor fan help me fall asleep. The aound really helps.

• Brohoof 1

Not much to help me go to sleep, honestly. Though I have to have my socks off unless it is cold, because when my feet are hot I get uncomfortable. Just sitting in bed works.

Though to sleep I require a degree of darkness, and I can't sleep with the TV on, like seriously can't. 

• 4 months later...

Wearing yellow glasses about an hour before bedtime helps a lot. They block blue light from screens. I've also changed most of my white LED lights to the amber type. Again, to limit blue light at night. Another thing that helps me sleep is a box fan.

I have to sleep with my TV on. I know it's bad but... it's the only thing that'll put me right out. >< I also sleep with a high turbo fan all year round because I can't sleep unless my room is colder.

Edited by AdorbzFangirl

• 4 weeks later...