Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S08:E11 - Molt Down

Will Guide

The Molt Down  

107 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the episode?

• This episode stinks worse than the Molt Smell (HATE IT!)
    • This episode makes me break out in itchy red spots. (Dislike it)
    • This episode was OKAY! Sorry, volume shifts (Meh)
    • This episode adds a splash of color to my day (Like it)
    • Like Spike can now, this episode SOARS! (LOVE IT!)

This episode is okay. There's not much that really sticks out to me one way or the other, though I am leaning more positively. Spike getting his wings, and the third act as a whole is cool, but the rest of the episode is feels a bit too plain. Most of the jokes in the episode are about how awkward Spike feels and about Rarity's stuffed ears. These jokes are funny at first, but get old very quickly. The episode's funniest moments are when it breaks from these two formulas, though it doesn't do it often enough.

Seeing Peewee again is nice though.

Score: 6/10

• 2 weeks later...

"Greed induced bigness." If that was true, Spike would of just been a gigantic version of his baby self, and still keep his voice. But he wasn't just growing larger. His voice deepened so much that he was able to roar. He also gained adult features and his body elongated, becoming so different that he wasn't even recognized by others.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Kevin Tang said:

Idk where to watch this episode with a good quality

Will make it to prime and netflix eventually - worst case, if you can't find a decent copy elsewhere, you can watch a blind reaction on youtube for it...

I did enjoy this episode especially because it shows Spike is growing up and to be honest I was wondering when he'd get wings. The overall moral of this episode was well done and I loved seeing Spike so embarrassed over the changes he was going through, they were very relatable for me. I also enjoyed seeing his interaction with Smolder who seemed to know exactly what was going on with Spike. 9/10 episode.

Okay, I'm only just past the theme song trying to catch up. (If only because I'm sick of Derpibooru drip feeding me a steady stream of spoilers.) I can NOT be the only one who winces at Spike's sores! Like I've been watching Father Brown on Netflix and there's this episode where this poor girl has terrible radiation scars on her back. They didn't look as bad on a live action person than Spike's acne does in animation! And both Rarity and Twilight are treating it like it's no big deal. If I had a kid with acne that bad, I'd get him to a hospital!

Sorry for the excessive exclamations, I don't know why this triggered me seeing as my own acne never really bothered me nor ever got that bad.

Addendum to the above: Twilight said for Spike to go somewhere less flammable. 

Me: "Your castle is made of rock!" :stressed:

Edited by Steel Accord

6 hours ago, Steel Accord said:

Okay, I'm only just past the theme song trying to catch up. (If only because I'm sick of Derpibooru drip feeding me a steady stream of spoilers.) I can NOT be the only one who winces at Spike's sores! Like I've been watching Father Brown on Netflix and there's this episode where this poor girl has terrible radiation scars on her back. They didn't look as bad on a live action person than Spike's acne does in animation! And both Rarity and Twilight are treating it like it's no big deal. If I had a kid with acne that bad, I'd get him to a hospital!

Sorry for the excessive exclamations, I don't know why this triggered me seeing as my own acne never really bothered me nor ever got that bad.

Addendum to the above: Twilight said for Spike to go somewhere less flammable. 

Me: "Your castle is made of rock!" :stressed:

Maybe she just meant a room that hadn't been furnished yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

While I love Spike's cool new wings, I didn't like the episode that much. A roc suddenly appearing out of nowhere, just so that Spike can save the day and be a hero? I do agree that such a situation was necessary, but this felt a bit forced. :bea:

• 3 months later...

This is a pretty meh episode. Most of it is just puberty jokes and Rarity shouting jokes. Neither are particularly funny at any point. The main emotional stakes are supposed to come from the fear that Spike might be sent away thanks to the Molt Effect, but not only is it obvious that Spike won't be sent away, the conflict is also largely pushed to the side in favor of a Roc attack and Spike getting his wings. Both of these are cool, but emotional stakes would've been better in the long run.

Score: 5/10

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 12/19/2018 at 4:52 AM, qwerE said:

While I love Spike's cool new wings, I didn't like the episode that much. A roc suddenly appearing out of nowhere, just so that Spike can save the day and be a hero? I do agree that such a situation was necessary, but this felt a bit forced. :bea:

You forget that Rocs are attracted to a molting Dragon's smell. It didn't came right out of nowhere. It came because of Spike's puberty smell, just as Smoulder warned.

Edited by Will Guide

3 hours ago, Will Guide said:

You forget that Rocs are attracted to a molting Dragon's smell. It didn't came right out of nowhere. It came because of Spike's puberty smell, just as Smoulder warned. 

Well, what I meant was that the Roc hadn't been mentioned in any of the previous episodes. I find it improbable that such a creature existed in Equestria without anypony knowing about it. The foreshadowing from Smolder was nice though.:-P

9 minutes ago, qwerE said:

Well, what I meant was that the Roc hadn't been mentioned in any of the previous episodes. I find it improbable that such a creature existed in Equestria without anypony knowing about it. The foreshadowing from Smolder was nice though.:-P

Just more world building. Besides the Roc is a giant bird from real life mythology like unicorns and dragons are, so I don't see the need to make a big deal out of it. :P

Technically neither did the changelings before their episode, the buffolo before theirs (or after), the yaks before theirs and so on. Most creatures in the show come out of nowhere and usually vanish back into it.

• 1 month later...

Overall, I liked this episode. It's a cool take on the changes encountered when growing up, and I like the creativity it took to flesh out. However, and this just may be me nitpicking, but it feels to me that wings are the ultimate upgrade in the MLP universe. I know I'm going to mess up this argument, but here goes.

I still do enjoy viewing all the different qualities creatures in the series have, and I'm not saying any one species is particularly cooler than another (no, I'm not biased because my avatar is an earth pony! :orly:), but I always kind of shrugged when something like the whole "earth ponies got the short end of the stick, pegasi have wings and unicorns have magic!" debate came up. And then everyone started to get wings as an upgrade. I don't want to say it cheapens it, I still think its cool that Twilight and Spike got their wings, but I guess I kept waiting around for a different sort of "upgrade" to be instated, and it just... never came. It's not even really a problem, just something I suppose I noticed.

• 10 months later...

I liked this even more the second time. Not a whole lot new to say; I just find Spike's crazy dragon puberty really amusing, and Rarity shouting because she's been temporarily deafened never got old to me. Main difference this time around is that I'm a little less annoyed with the roc attack at the end. Having Spike's successful journey through dragon puberty culminate in a spectacular act of heroism just seems kinda cheesy to me, but there's still a ton of great gags there. A small thing I especially loved this time is that both Rarity and Twilight individually went to get something for Spike's scale itch; even before they say it out loud, we see how much they care about him. I can't really relate to Spike's fear that all of his pony friends will magically stop wanting him around because of the Molt, though; Smolder had basically said it was because of the smell, and it seems to me that after Spike got his wings, the smell was gone. I guess he got distracted and didn't notice. 

I still wish Spike had spent more time with the rest of the mane six, as Pinkie's cameos here are really promising for what a Spike+Pinkie team-up could have been like. I could not begin to tell you what she thought about Spike's stench; she didn't really seem bothered by it like Zecora or Rarity. Also, she must have noticed that Spike was itchy. Did she go to Zecora's as well? It would be funny if Spike & co. just ran into her on the way back. 

Also, I just like having Zecora around. Her rhyming is fun. 

• 1 year later...

To be fair, I couldn't care less Spike get wings or not since I love him just the way he was, but it was a great character change that really needed for him.

As for the episode, it's fine. I thought the shouting thing was very annoying and it dragged on for way too long.

• 2 weeks later...

It was alright, although how he knew to fly with his wings after just getting them seemed unrealistic, Rarity and Zecora were pretty good here but Pinkie's presence here was not something I liked. The Roc though, funny bird!

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Even though we had a similar Episode, this one actually progressed Spikes Character Arc by giving him wings and i thought the Episode was fun, i liked it. Also i like Smolder ( thats her name, right? ) more and more. She is becoming another one of my favorite characters from the student six.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I enjoyed this episode. Spike getting finally his wings have been long overdue, but finally it happened.

It was nice how they did that and that they also included Smolder in this process (even if just a tiny bit)

• 8 months later...

I enjoyed this one. I liked seeing Spike and Smoulder's interactions, and Rarity shouting all the time was funny. Spike with his wings, I forgot that moment of the episode and I liked that scene of him having his new wings.