Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Break Up Break Down  

98 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• Sugar Belle: *stops once wagon wheel falls off, sniffles* "All the rotten luck!" (I HATE IT! >__<)
    • Discord: "Please! Can't you see that that holiday is a commercialized ruse pushed on you by the greeting card industry?" (I dislike it!)
    • Discord: "Well, you two have certainly bought into that romance nonsense hook, line, and sinker." Spike *deadpan*: "For a former friendless, immortal despot, you're pretty cynical." (…meh…)
    • Spike: "Aw, c'mon! You may act tough, but deep down, you're a softie. I mean, you don't have tea with Fluttershy every weekend because you like tea." (I like it!)
    • Sweetie Belle: "Ah, it's funny. I've been sitting here feeling sorry for myself for not having a special pony on Hearts and Hooves Day. But…remembering all the fun we had…I think I have two special ponies… My two best friends." AB & Scoots: "Awww!" *all three hug* (I LOVE IT! <3)

• 3 weeks later...

This was okay. The breakup scene seemed unnecessary...the whole "moral" of this story was miscommunication/assumptions (as Sugar Belle so bluntly stated), but miscommunication does happen sometimes and it's not always bad to make assumptions. I suppose I get the idea behind all of it, but... idk. Discord made it from being mediocre.

It started out pretty perfect in my opinion. "Is it like a riding mower or..." "Tweezers!" that part was hilarious. Big Mac, Spike and Discord is a pretty interesting character combo and I quite like it. It's an interesting twist to see the Pie get delivered to the CMC instead of who it was going to. More and more as I watched the episode I realize I have saw it before. Seeing Big Mac talk is a rather interesting thing and I love it!

But the whole 'talk too much will get in trouble' really relates to me, personally. When Big Mac gets emotional, it's just too relatable to me, just the tone, the whole inflection it just rings deep into me and I kinda want to cry. But all in all, was a great episode.

• Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...

I adored this episode, the dialogue between Big Mac and Sugar Belle was adorable and the moral of communication is key was well explained. Seeing Big Mac sad or angry just touches me and I think it's because he doesn't say much his mannerisms show how he's really feeling and what he's really thinking. 10/10.

• 2 months later...

This episode was pretty entertaining. I don't really think the episode was good in the beginning, though. Big Mac not realizing that Sugar Belle isn't trying to break up with him even after seeing her sad expression doesn't make sense, along with other things that feel really unnatural. Also, Sweetie Belle's part of the story did not get enough focus, and felt unnecessary.

But I do like how everything turned out, so I guess that makes up for some of the messiness. Sugar Belle and Big Mac were cute, and although I can't think of anything else I liked about the episode, I did have fun watching it.

• 3 months later...

This is so close to being perfect. The subplot with the CMC's is the first really entertaining thing involving them since Bloom and Gloom, the comedy is on point the entire time, the dialogue is really witty and seamless, and it's incredibly refreshing to not have any of the mane six.

The only issue comes from this being a misunderstanding story. The whole thing is so contrived and the moments where the episode focuses on the story with little to no comedy are really boring. Luckily, they don't happen too often and the resolution to the story is cute, but this does make a part of the episode pretty lame, meaning the episode can't be 10/10.

Score: 9/10

• 1 year later...

All the stuff about Sugar Belle meeting Big Mac at the barn still sounds suggestive, even on the third viewing. Also, shout out to Big Mac boozing it up when he first mishears Sugar Belle. 

In the later seasons, Sugar Belle never had much going on other than being Big Mac's girlfriend; even Mudbriar had his literalism to set him apart. But she's adorable, and when the ponies are cute they must be good. 

Another shout out is needed to Discord for becoming a total nerd. 

LyraBon getting married later on made it impossible to deny that their relationship is canon, but this episode had already made it pretty clear. Their cameo clearly means only one thing; Hasbro made a big deal about Scootaloo's aunts being a couple, but LyraBon got there first.

A part of me is still annoyed by the misunderstandings at the base of this, and I still cringe when Big Mac decides that he will break up with her first. At least in this case it's sort of justified by the fact that Big Mac doesn't like talking. And of course the FlutterCord hints get a hard nope from me, sorry. Otherwise I still find this one delightful. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond

• 8 months later...

Was an interesting episode. I loved seeing Discord interact with Big Mac, a literal god of chaos and an Earth pony apple farmer, extremely different characters to say the least. Sugar Belle is an adorable character, I felt for Big Mac 'Talking causes problems'...but it also solves them too. I like the way the CMC were in although Big Mac assumed that Sugar Belle was breaking up with him, so he went ahead and did it himself instead of talking it out first...good lesson. Communication solves most problems. 

• 5 months later...

This Episode was only meh to me, i mean i hate Discord so him alone brought the Episode significantly down.

I enjoyed some of the humor though, so thats something i guess.

• 2 years later...

Lovely episode as always, this one will always be a classic for me. I felt the same as my previous re-watches. It made me appreciate Sugar Belle more, and how much Sugar Belle and Big Mac appreciate each other. Discord's humor is hilarious and he is a great guy.