Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Done with Nintendo

StormBlaze

2 hours ago, StormBlaze said:

They seem to want to bring more kids into gaming, but personally, kids are "broken" sterotypes now. They dont really want happy colourful games, 90% of the kids ive spoken to at cons (selling my game themed artwork) have all gone nuts for the dark lore stuff and FPS games. Five Nights at Freddys for one. But you're right with that Nintendo dont seem to aknowledge that the main market they had from the 80s/90s/early00s are now grown up and probably more likely still playing the old classics because theyre nostalgic and also still challenging!!! Games today are far too easy compared.

Nintendo is looking to get more than just kids though, now. Look at the Switch adverts. They're trying to get everyone. Even adults. Especially since they're getting more mature titles like Doom, Wolfenstein, Dark Souls, etc. They're starting to cater to everyone. To say they're for kids is blasphemous. 

9 hours ago, Celli said:

Nintendo is looking to get more than just kids though, now. Look at the Switch adverts. They're trying to get everyone. Even adults. Especially since they're getting more mature titles like Doom, Wolfenstein, Dark Souls, etc. They're starting to cater to everyone. To say they're for kids is blasphemous. 

Once again... already have these games on other platforms.... mainly the PC. So i dont really see the point in buying these games again 

1 hour ago, StormBlaze said:

Once again... already have these games on other platforms.... mainly the PC. So i dont really see the point in buying these games again 

Not my point. It's no point for you, but for someone who can't afford a PC because let's be honest, most people can't afford a gaming PC, and I say this as someone who mainly games on PC, but for someone who has no Xbox or PC or PS4 the switch is just as good as option, and my point is Nintendo isn't just for kids anymore. Also, doesn't Doom on the go sound like a good time? Even though I have a better version on PC I'd get it on switch just for the portability. :P

I believe celli does have a point there. Nintendo isn't just for kids anymore. It's for all of us fans and players to play their games and their systems for fun and enjoyment. Most of us Nintendo fans and players were born to play Nintendo games. Some of the Nintendo games may be for kids, but Probably Nintendo are making their games family friendly such as Mario kart 8, Nintendo labo, and other games like that.

• Brohoof 1

I can understand where your frustration with them comes from, but I'm personally not going to abandon Nintendo any time soon. If I do, it will be because I just quit gaming as a whole, not just them. There are a few reason why I've personally stuck with them for the past few years:

• Their franchises appeal to me the most. Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Pokemon (at least formerly), Super Smash Bros... You get the idea. There aren't any other Game companies who have franchises more appealing to Nintendo's.
  • Their business practices aren't as horrible. With most video games nowadays tarnished with loot boxes, micro-transactions, or just general avaricious BS, it's nice to have a big name company that doesn't just destroy their games with practices like this.
  • I like their handhelds a lot. The GBA SP,  DS, 3DS, and Switch are among my favorite game systems of all time; Nintendo definitely knows  how to make a handheld console. The home console market is a bit of a different story, but that's a different topic.

With all of that said, I do agree on a few of your statements.

• This is an opinion that gets me a lot of shit in the Pokemon community, but I'm honestly starting to think that the series is becoming creatively bankrupt. Yes, the battle system is still fun, but there hasn't been any real game changer since Gen 4. Even as a Gen 5 fan, I can admit that. My expectations for Pokemon on the Switch are probably lower than they ever have been, if I'm being completely honest.
  • The remasters trend is something I'm not the biggest fan of either. I get that it's much easier to make them, and it's never bad to have more buying options for games... but some of the choices they make with them are just perplexing. Why is DKC: TF 60$? Why is Luigi's Mansion being ported to the 3DS? Who was asking for a Captain Toad Treasure Tracker port? 
  • The GameCube was awesome as hell, and had a great controller.
  • The original 2DS design was kinda bad. I understand why they took away the folding screens (they didn't want kids to break the hinge)... but Nintendo builds their consoles like freaking tanks; I don't think a child will break the hinge very easily.

That's just my take on the issue, anyways. I agree that Nintendo is among the most... odd companies in the mainstream gaming circuit, but I think it works to both their advantage and disadvantage.

Edited by Recherche
  • Brohoof 2

45 minutes ago, Recherche said:
  • Their franchises appeal to me the most. Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Pokemon (at least formerly), Super Smash Bros... You get the idea. There aren't any other Game companies who have franchises more appealing to Nintendo's.

You gonna get metroid as well? :P

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Recherche said:

@Celli I actually completely forgot about Metroid Prime 4, but yes, I probably will get that! :D

That's honestly my most anticipated game for this year or next. ^_^

• Brohoof 1

Well The Nintendo franchise(s) that appeal to me were Legend of Zelda, Mario, Kirby, Metroid, Star Fox, Super Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, and Pokémon.

I know there were couple of games that required micro-transaction(s) such as Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, Pokémon Shuffle and rumble world, Super Mario Run, Animal Crossing Pocket Camp, and pokemon duel, but the micro-transactions to some games are optional and not required to clear the games although for the pokemon duel, it's heavily relied on micro-transactions and people take advantage of it to get good pokemon off from the boosters and that would make people in a higher rank and skill to keep us players in a lower rank. It's hard to deal with overpowered and overused pokemon in pokemon duel.

DLCs on the other hand is also optional, but it's highly recommended to have fun and fully enjoy the game like Pokken Tournament DX, Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle, LoZ BotW (optional), and Super Smash Bros. Hyrule warriors DLC is optional, but not needed for the switch version since it has all the contents from both original and legends for 2/3DS versions.

A lot of us Nintendo fans and players aren't giving up on Nintendo since some of us are born with it from the start. We do have our hopes on the upcoming games and systems and we enjoy playing these games and systems.

• Brohoof 2

im gonna defend PC again here. so you save up to buy/build a gaming rig, in the end it works out slightly better to grab games on steam sales as you go rather than pay £/$50 a game each time its re-released. seriously its a lot of money to buy the same game or re-skined/re-vamped game again.

also someone explain to me how controllers got so expensive?! Was looking at getting some more for when i have friends over, but geeeeez. Joy cons are like £40 one each or £70+ for a complete pair! and then £45 for a player 2 controller for PS4. when did that happen?!

9 minutes ago, StormBlaze said:

im gonna defend PC again here. so you save up to buy/build a gaming rig, in the end it works out slightly better to grab games on steam sales as you go rather than pay £/$50 a game each time its re-released. seriously its a lot of money to buy the same game or re-skined/re-vamped game again.

also someone explain to me how controllers got so expensive?! Was looking at getting some more for when i have friends over, but geeeeez. Joy cons are like £40 one each or £70+ for a complete pair! and then £45 for a player 2 controller for PS4. when did that happen?!

I agree with this. It's significantly cheaper for me to just get one USB controller or use my keyboard and mouse than it would be to go broke on all of the proprietary things I must have for a console. Really the only thing you're missing out on are console exclusives when you play PC only. I don't have an anti-console stance, but that's probably the biggest barrier for me is that I don't want to have to spend an entire paycheck on just the hardware, then subsequently spend another paycheck on just a couple of games.

37 minutes ago, StormBlaze said:

Sure, but PC gaming isn't as cheap as you think. If you want to play the latest games without having to lower your graphics settings to still only get 30fps, you're gonna have to fork over a lot, even if you save up. This is coming from someone with a high end rig.

PC gaming still has issues. It's come a long way but there's still things that need to be addressed.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Celli said:

Sure, but PC gaming isn't as cheap as you think. If you want to play the latest games without having to lower your graphics settings to still only get 30fps, you're gonna have to fork over a lot, even if you save up. This is coming from someone with a high end rig.

PC gaming still has issues. It's come a long way but there's still things that need to be addressed.

You don't have to have an i7x and a GTX 1080 to run newer games at maximum settings. There are plenty of ways for budget PC gamers to skimp. Plus, we can always recycle parts of machines for newer rigs. Storage, OS OEMs, cooling, RAM, peripherals and cases have all gone a long way for saving me money in my machines while still having the ability to play anything I want. The cost upfront can be pretty expensive, yes, but since so much of your computer can be recycled that cost is mitigated over time.

Recently I began building another machine with a cumulative value of 1,800€, but I didn't have to pay nearly that  much because I'm reusing so many components. I think I saved something like 1,000€, and this machine should last me relevantly for a decade. Plus I have the infinite utility of it being a desktop computer. If you know how to build your computers and are smart about taking care of it, it can be much cheaper than consoles. I could understand for those who aren't too tech savvy why they would complain about paying so much every time they want an upgrade, but that should be a pretty big motivator to learn more. Which is always good. 

I would never condone this, but exclusives aren't even a barrier for PC gamers who simply must play Nintendo titles...

@Sunset Rose

We'll no but if you want a decent i5 or even a 1060 it will still cost you. Not to mention PC upkeep and maintenance, upgrades, if a part dies on you ya gotta replace it, that can seem daunting to general gamers.

Don't even get me started on cryptomining :okiedokieloki:

Edited by Celli

3 minutes ago, Celli said:

@Sunset Rose

We'll no but if you want a decent i5 or even a 1060 it will still cost you. Not to mention PC upkeep and maintenance, upgrades, if a part dies on you ya gotta replace it, that can seem daunting to general gamers.

Don't even get me started on cryptomining :okiedokieloki:

I can sympathize with the cryptocurrency mining right now. Thankfully my 1070 was something I already had before that industry started exploding. 

Also the thing is most gamers want the most convenient option. PC gaming has come a long way, I mean just look at sales in 2016, they eclipse console sales but still.

I sold a PS4 for money towards a Switch. Ended up selling it for money towards a PS4 Pro a few months later. This is not the Nintendo I grew up with. Nintendo made all of these promises for the first quarter of the year, and have yet to deliver on them. And it was mostly those promises that sold me on the Switch in the first place. Once I saw that Dissidia NT was out for PS4, I went back and didn't look back.

• Brohoof 1

A Nintendo "hate" thread, and it's NOT made by me!? Wow!

Jokes aside. 
I got myself a Switch on day one and it's been collecting dust pretty much ever since. I don't blame Nintendo though as the console got some great games on it, but i blame myself since i'd rather play on my PC. But once the new SMASH comes though along though i will play on it daily. Nintendo has been doing good recently, and the new President that was just elected is more of our generation which means that hopefully they can get their heads out of their asses when it comes to adapting to the western culture. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't keep up with nintendo anymore because i just can't afford new consoles. Additionally, I don't play games so much anymore. When I do, however, it's always nice go sit down for a few hours and play some Ocarina of Time. I have fond memories of it and love going back from time to time.

• 9 months later...

Nintendo have their strong points, but at the same time, they have plenty of weak points. I still like them, but like anything, there's plenty of room for improvement.

Edited by Cash In

On 4/12/2018 at 11:32 AM, Envy said:

And I guarantee - Square-Enix with Kingdom Hearts III aside, Nintendo will probably be the one who has games to show that are of any interest to me at E3.

Funny how even in all of my pessimism in this topic, I was still bottom line expecting more than Nintendo could deliver. Literally all they had for post-E3 was Super Smash Bros Ultimate. That is it.

Turns out that my PS4 has been played a lot since last summer, and my Switch has just collected dust. Especially once the online service became paid, because their paid online service is a complete and total rip-off.

35 minutes ago, Envy said:

Funny how even in all of my pessimism in this topic, I was still bottom line expecting more than Nintendo could deliver. Literally all they had for post-E3 was Super Smash Bros Ultimate. That is it.

Turns out that my PS4 has been played a lot since last summer, and my Switch has just collected dust. Especially once the online service became paid, because their paid online service is a complete and total rip-off.

And even Smash Ultimate isn't as great as they were making it out to be. The online is obviously garbage in that game and World of Light, the supposedly biggest addition, is terrible, repetitive and often aggravating beyond belief, same with the Spirit Board. Really, spirits overall were a terrible addition, would have preferred figures like in Melee. It just isn't worth being basically the sole game Nintendo had going for them in the entire second half of 2018.

I still am trying to hold out hope for Animal Crossing, I really hope it is at least as good as New Leaf. Right now, that is literally the only thing for the Switch I am looking forward to and that may not even make it into 2019, at least I personally don't think it will. We definitely won't be seeing Metroid Prime 4 until 2021 at the earliest as well with the development being restarted. So for now my Switch remains off, all while Nintendo continues to run their online service into the dust.

5 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

And even Smash Ultimate isn't as great as they were making it out to be. The online is obviously garbage in that game and World of Light, the supposedly biggest addition, is terrible, repetitive and often aggravating beyond belief, same with the Spirit Board. Really, spirits overall were a terrible addition, would have preferred figures like in Melee. It just isn't worth being basically the sole game Nintendo had going for them in the entire second half of 2018.

I still am trying to hold out hope for Animal Crossing, I really hope it is at least as good as New Leaf. Right now, that is literally the only thing for the Switch I am looking forward to and that may not even make it into 2019, at least I personally don't think it will. We definitely won't be seeing Metroid Prime 4 until 2021 at the earliest as well with the development being restarted. So for now my Switch remains off, all while Nintendo continues to run their online service into the dust.

I think the appeal of the SSB series has just been lost for me, and I need to accept that. No matter what, it's just the same thing every time. I think that Ultimate is a well-made game, but it just isn't any different from SSB4 for me in that it doesn't have any spark for me. I unlocked the characters, played it one day with a friend in-person and that was it. No more interest.

I fear this is happening with a lot of Nintendo franchises for me. As much as I want to look forward to a new Animal Crossing, I just know that even if it is as great as New Leaf, it's just going to be something I play for a month and then forget about. I fear I'm just becoming burnt out on most Nintendo franchises.