StormBlaze

Gaming Done with Nintendo

Recommended Posts

Anyone else feel kinda done with Nintendo these days? Like most of us, i grew up with the consoles (N64, GC, GBC) and utterly love them and the games to death, but recently Im finding it so difficult to be hyped by new games and products by them. I think its because Nintendo drive more to their gimicks than good timeless games now. The only exceptions being Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey. 

I never liked the Wii when it came out because it was gimmicky. I loved the WiiU because it brought the gaming back (for its short life) but the gimmick was now in the game pad more than waving controllers around. Then the switch came out and I just hate this console as its gone gimicks again.

I am really not a fan of the whole remaster/remake/reboot thing that game devs have been doing. I find Nintendo doing it almost wrong.... the WiiU wasnt that long ago and already we have remakes on the switch? Im just not feeling anything towards their console games in general. (Like I said earlier, Zelda and Mario are great games, but thats only 2 games in total).

Now I love the handheld consoles theyve done. Hate the decisons they made towards the (3)DS though. like 3D gaming was rubbish, but the console was great. Then wtf were they thinking with the original 2DS design! They took away the best feature of the 3DS which was the flip screen (idiots) plus the 2DS looked ugly and then only in the last year they suddenly go "oooh lets just take the 3D away since it wasnt that popular". I wouldve bought a flipping new 2DS if they released it earlier or as the original 2DS..... ugh. 

Gamewise I still feel like they massivly missed out on a launch title for the 3DS and the WiiU. They shouldve done a new version of Pokemon Snap. The technology wouldve been perfect for that.

Also on the note of Pokemon - they also seem to be losing their focus. Its not on the pokemon anymore, Sun and Moon have become obsessed with these flipping Ultra Beasts - thats another rant for later. But its now become another franchise of games that I idolised and treasured thats just disappointed me greatly. Am I just stuck on nostlagia again?

So yeah theres my rant, does anyone else fele the same towards Nintendo now? Ive certainly moved on to being a PC gamer (love it) and we recently got a PS4, which is a far superior console and great exclusive games..... which has just left Nintendo in the dirt compared. Sony have gotten the forumla right. They focused on good exclusive games and the gimicks are as an option as a whole seperate thing. Not forced into their games.

  • Brohoof 2
  • Smile 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have seen the light.

  • Brohoof 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Yeah, the newer consoles / games don't have the same amount of hype as some of the older ones. Like, the only reason WHY I would even get a Nintendo Switch is so I can play the new Pokemon Game. That's it. The only thing I'm looking forward to is the Nintendo 64 mini. I got a SNES mini last Christmas and it was amazing!!! :love:

 

I dunno :huh: for some reason, I just...don't like the look of the switch :adorkable: ...and I feel as if the majority of Nintendo games have gotten worse over the years :please:

 

From what I've heard, they've got rid of the ability to 'snake' in Mario Kart and whoever thought it would be a good idea to make CPU's fire shells at you is an idiot :dry: I seriously CAN'T play ANY of the new Mario karts WITHOUT getting salty and throwing my controller at the screen. The ONLY way I can play ANY of the NEW Mario Karts is if I have cheats. Mario Kart 64 was THE last good Mario Kart IMO, (well...at least IMO it was) :please: 'cuz they didn't have ANY of that bull-sh*t :wau: 

 

...and while it was cool that they brought Super Smash Bros, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask onto the 3DS, there were some notable flaws with some of those games...

 

Super Smash Bros for the 3DS / Wii U is basically Super Smash Bros Brawl, but worse. Lemme explain:

 

- There is a noticeable delay when you get knocked into the air and you try to air-dodge in order to try and slow yourself down

- They nerfed A LOT of good characters in that game

- They used the same voice clips from brawl

- they got rid of snake, who was EASILY the best character in the game 

...and worst of all, you can't edge-hog in this game. I don't like how Nintendo tried to make the latest SSB a level-playing field and they didn't bother to make the game ANY different to Brawl. What a shame. I was expecting SO much more when that game came out :( 

 

...and as for Majora's Mask, they buffed the Gyorg and Twinmold fight (which I DIDN'T like very much), made Odalwa even easier to beat and they made WAAY too many changes with the bosses in that game, which was REALLY disappointing considering they kept it all original in Ocarina Of Time. I was expecting they would do the same with Majora's Mask, but they didn't :( Oh well...at least it had its fair share of glitches to make up for that :) 

 

...and I don't like how 'child-friendly' Pokemon has become :sunny: (I remember back in the day when Ash wanted to be a Pokemon master and all he cared about was winning gym badges and kicking Gary's arse. Now all he cares about 'is making friends' :dry:) If you take a look at the recent Pokemon games, all your "rivals" (if you can even call it that) are your best friends. What happened to the days when your rival was a massive dick towards you? ...and I don't like how they removed the Gyms in Sun and Moon. It just didn't feel like a 'real' Pokemon game :(

 

...and while it might sound like I'm hating on Nintendo, I'm not. I LOVE their games. I just don't like what they've done with some of their recent games...

...and it's hard for some-one like me (who's been playing Nintendo games since I was a kid) to switch to another console like the X-Box / PlayStation and play some more serious games...

I wish Nintendo would go back to the good 'ol days when they made games for the sake of fun :( overall, I don't really play console games that much anymore...

 

Edited by SolarFlare13
  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I grew up with NES and I agree that Nintendo has become gimmicky. But I think that is a good niche. We don't need 3 consoles all doing the same thing. Xbox and Playstation are the same. I don't care about nit picking minor differences in frame rate or clock speeds. The games are the same.

Nintendo offers something different. When people say Nintendo should "go back" what does that mean? What specifically would you like to see?

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a shame.

Still, Just as long as you don't call anyone who loves Nintendo an idiot, I'll at least move on.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

That's a shame.

Still, Just as long as you don't call anyone who loves Nintendo an idiot, I'll at least move on.

I will never understand why anyone holds any company to a higher standard than anyone one else. Nintendo is in it to do what everyone else is in the gaming industry for. To make money. That's their end goal. They're not your friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

3 minutes ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

Nintendo in my eyes is awesome. 

Do you mind if I ask why? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

4 minutes ago, Yamet said:

Do you mind if I ask why? 

Simply because their games are fun to play. I don't need the technologically strongest gaming system like Sony's Playstation to have fun.

Edited by SwitchGuy2018
  • Brohoof 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've somewhat moved on from Nintendo for the most part. There are the occasional curiosities popping up from time to time but there aren't many games outside of main series Pokemon that I really pay much attention to. I still play many older Ninty titles but I don't need to keep up with today's gimmick to play those. That isn't to say the games are bad at all or anything, but they're tired for me. Splatoon was adorable and a lot of fun, however. One of these days I'll sit down and play Breath of the Wild but Dark Souls and Monster Hunter scratch that same itch for me a lot better. Mario Odyssey seems like it would be fun, but in the same way every other 3D Mario has been fun. 

That isn't to say I won't buy anything with Nintendo's name on it or anything. But I haven't had the urge to pick a new Mario or anything up in a while. I think if I'm honest, the last Zelda I could force my way through was Twilight Princess, and recently I tried to replay even that and fell asleep in the hour-long introduction phase. I still like the company, more or less. I just haven't had any interest in their games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Nintendo player, I'm not done with it. Some of the Nintendo games may be a puzzle-fest, but I just stop and think about my moves to solve the puzzles like LoZ: Oracle of Ages and usually it's BotW's Champion's ballad DLC which it has a whole lot of puzzles to deal with. Some are adventuring and challenging to me like pokemon, Kirby, and LoZ games. If it was extremely challenging, that would be SSB in terms of how hard these challenges are in the game such as completing the game at very hard or intense or with an intensity of 9.0 (nothing harder!) which I can make it work, but sometimes I have to spend that much coins to clear that challenge without any continues and with the exception of SSBB, I just continue on.

For now, I just pick and play my favorite games series such as Mario, LoZ, Kirby, Pokémon, SSB, and Animal Crossing which I really pay attention to these games more often. So pretty much there are more games to come and I'm looking forward to.

  • Brohoof 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

I honestly prefer the Xbox and their games. Mostly because you have a wider variety on games then you do on Nintendo. I really like bloody and gore games and really can find those on Xbox and PlayStation. I think Nintendo as lost tounch with what gaming really is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

As long as there's Animal Crossing, I'm not going to be done with Nintendo. :ooh: Pokemon games are great too, but I can agree that it's kind of bothersome that the focus is so strongly on the Ultra Beasts in Sun and Moon. It's pretty much why I didn't have the need to buy Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon anymore.

I kind of have mixed feelings about the new 3DS xl too since the paint already started chipping after about two years. Judging by the experiences I found via Google, my console isn't the only one either. The previous version of the console seemed like a better quality one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, I'm not done with Nintendo. Although I'll always be critical of them, since the Wii was really such a low point. As you said, it was focused on gimmickry, and that was it. The Wii Remote was forced on us every step of the way. While they allowed GCN controllers for games like Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros Brawl (thank goodness) you still couldn't get into these games without using the Wii Remote, seeing as the menu was only controllable with it.

Both the Wii U and Switch have seen much improvement, though. The Wii U finally ended the issue I mentioned above - Now you could get past the main menu to the game with just a Pro Controller. Sadly gimmicks remain in their games, but the degree of which has really been decreased since the Wii days. For example, Super Mario Odyssey has motion control features, but you are able to play through the game without ever using them at all. A marked improvement over Super Mario Galaxy and even 3D World. BoTW sadly has more motion control in it, but it's pretty much only in certain shrines IIRC.

I think Nintendo's biggest problem with the Switch right now is just that they seemingly haven't really developed a steady pattern of NEW first party games. I don't know if it's going to come once they've finally ran out of Wii U games to port, or if once they're done the Switch's schedule will run dry. I think this E3 will tell us a lot. If the Super Smash Bros revealed in the last Direct is some kind of port of the Wii U/3DS version my hope will go really sour.

At the end of the day, Nintendo holds a lot of my favorite franchises. PC, Sony, and Microsoft do not. Plain and simple. Like all PC really has for me that I can't already get on a console is The Sims, and EA really messed up that franchise with TS4, so... PC has nothing for me right now. So I'm inclined to go and spend money where I'll find games I want. Although I do have a PC and PS4, so things are rounded out for me. Certainly PC is a great platform with all of the ability to mod, and everything. PS4 meanwhile is a powerful console, gets the multiplats, has a much more solid online infrastructure than Nintendo, etc... But again, if there aren't many games on these platforms for me, then all of that is moot. The Switch, even with its lackluster library of exclusive Nintendo games, gets much more play from me than any other platform right now because of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. And I guarantee - Square-Enix with Kingdom Hearts III aside, Nintendo will probably be the one who has games to show that are of any interest to me at E3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Even being someone that has really enjoyed the Switch, I don't blame you at all. The Switch is a good system even with its gimmicks, but Nintendo seems hellbent on disappointing us with it. The thing is so far behind its competition in features, you can't even message those on your friends list over a year after its release. There are hardly any apps to speak of and in terms of games, well, these days the Switch is becoming the port machine, a Vita 2.0, but with less features than the Vita. Not to mention, these ports are hideously overpriced. Donkey Kong is a perfect example. A 4 year old game that was $50 on the Wii U, is now $60 on the Switch for no reason. And yet, people think Nintendo can simply get a free pass on all of this. Bring up the lack of apps, they just say "use your phone!". Bring up the ports, they say "the Wii U didn't sell well!". Bring up the lack of simple messaging, they say "it's coming in the paid service in September!", yes, a whole year and a half after the console's launch. These are things that I will not let slide with this company. The Switch is currently lacking far more than the Wii U had. Oh yeah, still no virtual console either. I don't get it. There is also still no way to back up your saves at all, yet a hacker was able to create this feature BY HIMSELF in TWO WEEKS.  A whole team of devs can't do it? If your system bricks, your save files are then gone forever. Which is funny since the worthless 5.0 update has caused systems to brick when used on some third party docks. Pathetic.

I love the fact that it is a hefty portable console, I love the detachable controllers and some games on it are superb, but Nintendo seems to be in the mindset that they are now invincible and the people who defend them so far like valiant knights do make this worse. I want to see the Switch improve because I LIKE the system. Right now though, it is currently in a rut. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll still remain a fan of Nintendo though I'm also realistic in that they've made some pretty controversial/terrible decisions in recent years. After almost thirty years of sticking with them barring a brief two year stint where I went Sega, I've gotten used to their actions though I will continue to give them criticism as no video game company is perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@StormBlaze

I think you're being harsh. The Switch has a lot of exclusives coming to the system, can't say that about the Xbox One. Also, no, they don't rely on gimmicks.

And the reason for their re-releasing of Wii U games is because the Wii U sold poorly, so those games are coming to the Switch to get more attention, and the Switch is outpacing the Xbone in sales, it's about close to 20 million units already sold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never been a bigger Nintendo fan in my life. I love what they've been doing business wise lately.

Release a new Animal Crossing for the Switch and they'll have my allegiance forever. XD

15 hours ago, SmokeSong said:

I really like bloody and gore games and really can find those on Xbox and PlayStation. I think Nintendo as lost tounch with what gaming really is.

... If you're insinuating that "what gaming really is" is blood and gore, then I think YOU have lost touch with what gaming really is.

Not everyone is interested in a hardcore violence fest. I'll keep playing Breath of the Wild, thank you.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

I don't find some nintendo games to be "gimmicky" and stuff like that. If it's motion controls as a camera control, I turn that off at all times since it's hard to adjust the camera with motion controls. If it's a game that requires to force use the motion controls, that all depends on the game and the interest(s).

If there are games that builds up difficulty as you progress in story mode, then that's what makes the games a lot challenging like pokemon super mystery dungeon since I can't go back and re-stock items. That's tricky part in these type of games.

There may be some re-make games like Mario Kart 8 DX which was a remake of the original version of the wii-u and pokken DX which is also the remake of the original version of the wii-u. For Mario Kart 8 DX, you don't need to pay for the DLCs from Mario Kart 8 and it includes additional contents as well. For Pokken DX, you still have to pay for the DLC, but there are additional contents in the game as well.

Skyrim is one of the "blood & gore" games for the switch, but it has amiibo functionality and i'm not 100% sure if it has the DLCs and contents from the original and special edition versions even though I haven't played the game myself (well barely). Doom is one of them as well which I was watching my friend playing the game.

and Of course there's hyrule warriors for the switch as well and it has all the contents from both original from the wii-u and legends from the 3DS and you don't need pay for the DLC as well although the only thing I know about this game is just new costumes.

I'm pretty sure that most Nintendo players don't care about the negative reviews on some games like Kirby Star allies as long as you enjoy the game and have fun with them regardless if it's a forced gimmick, puzzles, challenging, and stuff like that, we just make'em work.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Good job, OP, you got me to log into this cursed site again.

 

21 hours ago, StormBlaze said:

I think its because Nintendo drive more to their gimicks than good timeless games now. The only exceptions being Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey. 

Go on. Explain these gimmicks.

 

21 hours ago, StormBlaze said:

I am really not a fan of the whole remaster/remake/reboot thing that game devs have been doing. I find Nintendo doing it almost wrong.... the WiiU wasnt that long ago and already we have remakes on the switch? Im just not feeling anything towards their console games in general. (Like I said earlier, Zelda and Mario are great games, but thats only 2 games in total).

I like how literally everybody who brings this up willfully ignore that Sony is "guilty" of the same "problem" with the PS4. In the first two years of the PS4's life, it got:
 

  • Planetside 2 (PC port)
  • Loadout (PC port)
  • Last of Us Remastered (PS3 port)
  • Final Fantasy VII (PC port of a PS1 game)
  • Final Fantasy X (PS3 remaster of a PS2 game)
  • Final Fantasy Type-0 (PSP port)
  • Resident Evil (PC port of a GameCube game that was a remake of a PS1 game)
  • DmC: Devil May Cry (PS3 port)
  • Grand Theft Auto V (PS3 port)
  • Devil May Cry 4 (PS3 port)
  • Dark Souls 2 (PS3 port)
  • Metro Redux (ports of PS3 games)
  • Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (PS3 game)
  • Dishonored Definitive Edition (PS3 game)
  • Deadpool (PS3 port)

And that's just a small selection of the ports and remasters the PS4 received. It was called the "Portstation 4" for a reason. Although, it's almost like people don't like bringing that up because it invalidates that entire argument f05.png

Also, OP, you bring up that the Switch is "gimmicky" but you never elaborate on them and then go on about the 3DS and Wii U, then you go on about other platforms and bring up that you feel the PS4 has "better" exclusives, which is entirely subjective rather than the objective fact you present it as. But, please, explain these gimmicks without digressing again.

Edited by ignore pls
  • Brohoof 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

7 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

... If you're insinuating that "what gaming really is" is blood and gore, then I think YOU have lost touch with what gaming really is.

Not everyone is interested in a hardcore violence fest. I'll keep playing Breath of the Wild, thank you.

Yeah... The fact that Nintendo has a bunch of franchises of their own that don't revolve around blood and gore is probably a HUGE reason that I always stick with Nintendo. I can't play games with that kind of stuff, they make me feel sick. I can't believe people actually think that's what gaming is supposed to be about. Very strange.

  • Brohoof 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

23 minutes ago, Envy said:

Yeah... The fact that Nintendo has a bunch of franchises of their own that don't revolve around blood and gore is probably a HUGE reason that I always stick with Nintendo. I can't play games with that kind of stuff, they make me feel sick. I can't believe people actually think that's what gaming is supposed to be about. Very strange.

People like those types of games. They're not what gaming is about but they're as much a part of gaming as family friendly ones. That's the beauty of gaming, the wide array of different kinds of games. Those are more popular than the Zelda's and Mario's, though. Also, Nintendo is embracing the more mature games now, too, which is a good thing, because they can reach a wider audience.

Edited by Celli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2018 at 5:03 AM, StormBlaze said:

Anyone else feel kinda done with Nintendo these days? Like most of us, i grew up with the consoles (N64, GC, GBC) and utterly love them and the games to death, but recently Im finding it so difficult to be hyped by new games and products by them. I think its because Nintendo drive more to their gimicks than good timeless games now. The only exceptions being Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey. 

I never liked the Wii when it came out because it was gimmicky. I loved the WiiU because it brought the gaming back (for its short life) but the gimmick was now in the game pad more than waving controllers around. Then the switch came out and I just hate this console as its gone gimicks again.

I am really not a fan of the whole remaster/remake/reboot thing that game devs have been doing. I find Nintendo doing it almost wrong.... the WiiU wasnt that long ago and already we have remakes on the switch? Im just not feeling anything towards their console games in general. (Like I said earlier, Zelda and Mario are great games, but thats only 2 games in total).

Now I love the handheld consoles theyve done. Hate the decisons they made towards the (3)DS though. like 3D gaming was rubbish, but the console was great. Then wtf were they thinking with the original 2DS design! They took away the best feature of the 3DS which was the flip screen (idiots) plus the 2DS looked ugly and then only in the last year they suddenly go "oooh lets just take the 3D away since it wasnt that popular". I wouldve bought a flipping new 2DS if they released it earlier or as the original 2DS..... ugh. 

Gamewise I still feel like they massivly missed out on a launch title for the 3DS and the WiiU. They shouldve done a new version of Pokemon Snap. The technology wouldve been perfect for that.

Also on the note of Pokemon - they also seem to be losing their focus. Its not on the pokemon anymore, Sun and Moon have become obsessed with these flipping Ultra Beasts - thats another rant for later. But its now become another franchise of games that I idolised and treasured thats just disappointed me greatly. Am I just stuck on nostlagia again?

So yeah theres my rant, does anyone else fele the same towards Nintendo now? Ive certainly moved on to being a PC gamer (love it) and we recently got a PS4, which is a far superior console and great exclusive games..... which has just left Nintendo in the dirt compared. Sony have gotten the forumla right. They focused on good exclusive games and the gimicks are as an option as a whole seperate thing. Not forced into their games.

Ya. I'm okay with Nintendo, but I still kinda prefer Xbox and PlayStation. I'm more into hard-core games like: CallofDuty, Halo, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Battlefield, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

... If you're insinuating that "what gaming really is" is blood and gore, then I think YOU have lost touch with what gaming really is.

Not everyone is interested in a hardcore violence fest. I'll keep playing Breath of the Wild, thank you.

Well I'm not saying that is what they have lost touch, like I mean controllers and things like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Join the herd!

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.