Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Was Puberty Like for You?

The Recherche

I think it's a safe assumption that pretty much everyone here has gone through puberty, though a few of you might still be going through it! ;)

Regardless, I'm kinda wondering how puberty went/is going for you. :) My story with it is kinda long, so prepare yourself...

I remember a little under 5 years ago, I had turned 11 years old. Little did I know, something crazy was about to happen to me. Not too long afterward, I was going through... a transition. For some reason, within the span of a  couple of months, I was suddenly listening to different music, wearing different clothes, and most of all... I felt different towards everything and everyone. Just to keep this organized, I'll go through this step by step. First lets talk about the music I listened to.

I used to listen to quite a bit of Country music & Rock and Roll when I was young, and occasionally a Pop song here or there. These are a couple of songs that I liked when I was young:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I won't lie; I'm not the biggest fan of the first 2 songs anymore, but hey don't offend me at all. The Final Countdown kicks ass, though. Now, contrast this with what I got into when I was entering puberty. The difference is staggering.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I won't lie... I actually kinda enjoy these songs still, but not for the same reasons anymore. I used to like them for how "deep" and "thought-provoking" they were, but I just like the way they sound now. :please:

Now with all of that rubbish out of the way, let's move on to how I dressed...

Do you remember the jarring contrast with the music? Well, my wardrobe was no different. I used to wear a lot of red, blue, grey, and even a little bit of purple here or there. When I entered my edgy phase... I wore black, black, and black. No joke; I don't think there was a shirt that I owned that wasn't black. I was doing it to be more """serious""" and """mature,""" which is pretty damn ironic considering how juvenile that thought process is.

I should probably also mention how I wanted my hair to be really long, kinda like Metal musicians. Well, I got my wish... 

Finally, let's talk about how I acted... Good Lord. Y'know, a lot of people here say that I'm one of the nicest people on the site (your opinion may vary, though)... well, to the people who say that: You should have met me when I was 12 or 13. Though I wasn't outwardly hostile, I was unimaginably judgemental of damn-near everyone. Yes, especially my parents. Pretty much nobody was free from my judgements:

Southern people? Hated them. Why? No justifiable reason.

Emo/goth folks? Hated them. Why? No justifiable reason.

Transgender folks? Hated them. Why? No justifiable reason.

College students? Hated them. Why? No justifiable reason.

Thankfully, I don't hold any of these feelings anymore! :rarity: If any of you fall into any of these categories, don't take that as an insult; trust me, I don't hate you! :kindness:

So... yeah, you can see that puberty was quite a transition for me. :adorkable: I was judgemental, edgy... and insecure during that time. I suppose it was only inevitable; puberty hit me really quickly. Those damned hormones can really mess with your brain! Thankfully, it's all over now! :rarity:

I don't think I need to telly you about my current clothing options, music tastes, and feelings toward everyone nowadays; those should probably be pretty apparent! ;)

So, with my novel out of the way... How did puberty treat you? Was it smooth sailing, or was it one of the worst times of your life? I'm looking forward to hearing what you lovely guys and gals have to say! :squee:

Edited by Recherche
  • Brohoof 3

I'm 17, and I don't know if I'm still going through puberty or not? I don't think I am, I'm not as moody as I used to be, and I've definitely stopped growing. I remember when puberty started for me, at age 12 and 13, but it went pretty smoothly. I did get some mood swings, but they never got to be too much, and I never really had the typical teenager appetite. :P Then again I am a girl, and puberty is a bit different for us. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

@Lucky Bolt True, true. I'm not a woman, so I can only imagine what puberty did to you. :o

I probably should have mentioned appetite differences like you did, though. On that subject, I'll say only 1 thing...

I could eat a whole one of these. All of it. :blink:

img-products-multi-thin-crispy-pepperoni

You could say my appetite increased a little bit, unlike yours. :adorkable: I guess that was another symptom of puberty hitting as hard as it did!

Edited by Recherche
  • Brohoof 2

17 minutes ago, Recherche said:

I think it's a safe assumption that pretty much everyone here has gone through puberty, though a few of you might still be going through it! ;)

Regardless, I'm kinda wondering how puberty went/is going for you. :) My story with it is kinda long, so prepare yourself...

I remember a little under 5 years ago, I had turned 11 years old. Little did I know, something crazy was about to happen to me. Not too long afterward, I was going through... a transition. For some reason, within the span of a  couple of months, I was suddenly listening to different music, wearing different clothes, and most of all... I felt different towards everything and everyone. Just to keep this organized, I'll go through this step by step. First lets talk about the music I listened to.

I used to listen to quite a bit of Country music & Rock and Roll when I was young, and occasionally a Pop song here or there. These are a couple of songs that I liked when I was young:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

I won't lie; I'm not the biggest fan of the first 2 songs anymore, but hey don't offend me at all. The Final Countdown kicks ass, though. Now, contrast this with what I got into when I was entering puberty. The difference is staggering.

Hide contents

Hide contents

Hide contents

I won't lie... I actually kinda enjoy these songs still, but not for the same reasons anymore. I used to like them for how "deep" and "thought-provoking" they were, but I just like the way they sound now. :please:

Now with all of that rubbish out of the way, let's move on to how I dressed...

Do you remember the jarring contrast with the music? Well, my wardrobe was no different. I used to wear a lot of red, blue, grey, and even a little bit of purple here or there. When I entered my edgy phase... I wore black, black, and black. No joke; I don't think there was a shirt that I owned that wasn't black. I was doing it to be more """serious""" and """mature,""" which is pretty damn ironic considering how juvenile that thought process is.

I should probably also mention how I wanted my hair to be really long, kinda like Metal musicians. Well, I got my wish... 

Finally, let's talk about how I acted... Good Lord. Y'know, a lot of people here say that I'm one of the nicest people on the site (your opinion may vary, though)... well, to the people who say that: You should have met me when I was 12 or 13. Though I wasn't outwardly hostile, I was unimaginably judgemental of damn-near everyone. Yes, especially my parents. Pretty much nobody was free from my judgements:

Southern people? Hated them. Why? No justifiable reason.

Emo/goth folks? Hated them. Why? No justifiable reason.

Transgender folks? Hated them. Why? No justifiable reason.

College students? Hated them. Why? No justifiable reason.

Thankfully, I don't hold any of these feelings anymore! :rarity: If any of you fall into any of these categories, don't take that as an insult; trust me, I don't hate you! :kindness:

So... yeah, you can see that puberty was quite a transition for me. :adorkable: I was judgemental, edgy... and insecure during that time. I suppose it was only inevitable; puberty hit me really quickly. Those damned hormones can really mess with your brain! Thankfully, it's all over now! :rarity:

I don't think I need to telly you about my current clothing options, music tastes, and feelings toward everyone nowadays; those should probably be pretty apparent! ;)

So, with my novel out of the way... How did puberty treat you? Was it smooth sailing, or was it one of the worst times of your life? I'm looking forward to hearing what you lovely guys and gals have to say! :squee:

yha those hormones f with your brain  is like been on weed and you didn't smoke at all thats how bad those hormones f with your brain

• Brohoof 1

I had voice cracks, one helluva attitude I suppose, and definitely had a hollow leg to fill as far as appetite. I'd down a taco 12 pack from Taco Bell by myself.:blink:

And the male body has a tendency to...."betray" you when going through puberty. Especially when where gym/basketball style shorts. I'll leave it at that and let your imagination come up with what I mean.

I started dressing different that's for sure. I went from t-shirt, shorts, and shoes to wearing t-shirt, jeans (probably because of the "betrayal below the belt"), and boots. I wore, and still wear really, the t-shirt tucked in with a belt. Other reason I probably started doing that is that about that age I started watching WKRP in Cincinnati, good show by the way, and one of the characters dressed like that and I was like, I wanna be like him.

reid.png.eb03b3a05cef4ada6b33dbb861c4485e.png

Edited by Cyclone 1066
  • Brohoof 4

when i was puberty i was dreaming of f ing girls but istend of that i watched my little pony friendship is magic to get that dream out of my mind that when i got into being a brony still am

my puberty  wes the good and bad day for me

Edited by princess celestia2
  • Brohoof 1

The time of puberty gave me the first ever feelings of wanting to die.

2 hours ago, Cyclone 1066 said:

I had voice cracks, one helluva attitude I suppose, and definitely had a hollow leg to fill as far as appetite. I'd down a taco 12 pack from Taco Bell by myself.:blink:

You and me both, man. :adorkable:

And the male body has a tendency to...."betray" you when going through puberty. Especially when where gym/basketball style shorts. I'll leave it at that and let you imagination come up with what I mean.

Oh... I get it. :bedeyes:

Spoiler

DAMN LEG HAIR CONSTANTLY GETTING YANKED! :glimmer:

Spoiler

:P

I started dressing different that's for sure. I went from t-shirt, shorts, and shoes to wearing t-shirt, jeans (probably because of the "betrayal below the belt"), and boots. I wore, and still wear really, the t-shirt tucked in with a belt. Other reason I probably started doing that is that about that age I started watching WKRP in Cincinnati, good show by the way, and one of the characters dressed like that and I was like, I wanna be like him.

Huh. I don't actually think I had much of a role model during my puberty years... :o  I guess I was "too good" for that! :adorkable:

• Brohoof 1

While to a degree I am still going through puberty, the worst of it has definitely passed by.:grin:

When I was 12/13 years old in particular I went almost out of my way to get into to trouble, and had bad tendency to throw massive and frequent temper-tantrums without a lot of  justification for doing so. I had an extremely toxic relationship with my mother, and, to be brutally honest, I hated her guts for a time. This relationship as improved considerably since, although we still definitely have our fair share of issues. I felt extremely depressed and lonely all of the time, which only served as fuel for my anger. I became extremely reclusive and self-pitying, a response that I look back on with complete and utter contempt. 

Thankfully, those times seem to be fading into history as of about a year ago, and I am very pleased with the progress which I have made in terms of just being a happier, stronger, and more stable person.:grin:

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Recherche said:

Huh. I don't actually think I had much of a role model during my puberty years... :o  I guess I was "too good" for that! :adorkable:

I never really thought of him as a role model, just, he got women, he dressed like that. So little 12ish year old me did the math and started dressing like him.:lol: Never worked, funny enough.

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, Recherche said:

Oh... You're not still feeling that way, are you? :(

I'm not sure how to say this without sounding like I'm in need of help - but I haven't felt like I have a purpose in life for a while now. :lol: I'm just sticking around because that's what people are often supposed to do. Though that's enough of that, things aren't always bad!

One of the hardest things about puberty is mood swings. I believe that they are a side effect of the hormones that the body produces, when we go through puberty. Sadly, it is the reason why teenagers are prone to overreacting, and eventually commit suicide.

And that was my two cents.

• Brohoof 2

I'm 14 right now and I started puberty when I was leaving Primary School (in 2016 (when I was around 11 or 12)) 

My voice used to be INCREDIBLY high pitched and now it's deeper than my grandad's voice!

I was quite short and took over 6 months to grow ONE INCH (it took me nearly a year to grow from 4"11 to 5"00) and now I'm the same height as my mum (she's about 5"5 maybe 5"7)!

My leg hair is growing (and my mind is much more dirty compared to my mind from just last year!).

That's most of my experiences with my current puberty experience that I can say on a PG-13 forum!

• Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, Jaspers said:

I'm not sure how to say this without sounding like I'm in need of help - but I haven't felt like I have a purpose in life for a while now. :lol: I'm just sticking around because that's what people are often supposed to do. Though that's enough of that, things aren't always bad!

I would recommend to you what someone recommended to me but seeing the site that we are on, I don't think, "Watch My Little Pony, that'll cheer you up," is gonna work in this situation. All I can say is everyone has a purpose and some day you'll find it. There's a country song with the lyrics: "If you're going through hell, keep on moving, don't slow down, if you're scared don't show it, you might get out before the devil even knows you're there."

Other than that, can we get @Lucky Boltback in here with some positivity.

• Brohoof 3

Not sure, as I feel I didn't grown much mentally, but I did start playing increasingly more mature games. Also, I remember making a mess in my bed at times and I've thought for a while it was pee

:D. But like I've wrote, my actual growth came much later

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Rarity the Supreme said:

While to a degree I am still going through puberty, the worst of it has definitely passed by.:grin:

Word! :)

When I was 12/13 years old in particular I went almost out of my way to get into to trouble, and had bad tendency to throw massive and frequent temper-tantrums without a lot of  justification for doing so.

Though I never personally threw hissy-fits over anything, I sure as heel had drastic mood swings! Whether it was euphoria, depression, rage, or anything like that... I was prone to just suddenly feeling it! :adorkable:

I had an extremely toxic relationship with my mother, and, to be brutally honest, I hated her guts for a time. This relationship as improved considerably since, although we still definitely have our fair share of issues.

Wow... that sounds pretty rough. :adorkable: Though I never had an outright bad relationship with my mother, I sure as hell held some unjustified resentment for her. :blink: Man, I really was an edgy bastard, wasn't I?

I felt extremely depressed and lonely all of the time, which only served as fuel for my anger. I became extremely reclusive and self-pitying, a response that I look back on with complete and utter contempt. 

Same here, bro/sis. My reason is kinda different, though; I was (and still am) homeschooled. Needless to say, I was kinda lonely during that time, and was trying to reinforce my position by hating everyone. :rarity:

3 hours ago, Rarity the Supreme said:

Thankfully, those times seem to be fading into history as of about a year ago, and I am very pleased with the progress which I have made in terms of just being a happier, stronger, and more stable person.:grin:

Same here. I'll admit, though; the recovery has been a slow one so far. :rarity: I guess good habits don't come easy! :)

• Brohoof 1

Oh yeah, I was pretty slow in anything related to sex XD. though I've discovered hentai at a younger age, it wasn't until 14 at the least where it was a habit to actively seek it, and I wasn't until masturbation until AFTER having my first time if you can believe that :dash:

• Brohoof 1

As a girl it obviously had some rough points and of course a whole load of new things to worry about :D but besides those I don't remember it bothering me too much. The worst part for me was probably that it made me even more shy than I already was because I became very subconscious about my body and I obviously felt different about boys which all added up to me feeling not good enough for them. It worked out in the end though, I have a boyfriend and loads of regular friends who all love me so I have less to worry about now.

• Brohoof 1

i ended up depressed and still am. though i'm 17, so maybe even though i have been since about 11 maybe it's still temporary lol

other than that it's pretty much the usual. hair, wearing darker clothes, etc.

when's the part when i get tall though can i have that please i'm still 5'3"

• Brohoof 2

I'm currently 17, turning 18 in just a few months. I'm pretty sure that I've completed puberty. Why? Probably because I had just turned 10 when I first hit it.

Yep, you read that right, I was 10 when I hit puberty. I remember in my last years of primary school, I towered over everybody else, my voice had practically fully broken and facial hair was starting to come in. As a result from this, I've been able to grow a full beard since I was 15 (although I usually keep it clean shaved), my bone structure is pretty well-defined and I'm very tolerant towards things like alcohol & painkillers for example.

I don't remember having much trouble with puberty as it was happening, aside from the odd mood swing every now and then. In times where I struggled with things, I just turned to fitness/exercise and taking care of myself; a practice I continue to this day.

All in all, puberty wasn't that bad for me. I know it can be a real struggle for some people, but I think the best way to deal with it is to prepare for it, read up on what it entails and brace yourself for it. 

• Brohoof 2

I HATED puberty so much but it helped me realize that I was transgender.  Sure, I might not have known the word for it yet but I felt it.  Whenever my time of the month rolled by, I felt so ashamed and wondered what I was being punished for, I would always lock myself away so no one could see me.  My mom finally got fed up with that and I ended up internalizing everything, I felt like a shell of myself not really a person anymore.  I always felt like things were happening to me when they shouldn't have.  It's also when my depression showed up and only got worse over the years but now I'm finally taking care of that.  Skipping details, I hated puberty so much...

3 hours ago, Recherche said:

@Lucky Bolt True, true. I'm not a woman, so I can only imagine what puberty did to you. :o 

I didn't even mention some of the other things that we girls go through during puberty, and I had all of them. But probably the worst thing was when "that certain once-a-month miserable time" started. :scoots: (If you even know what I'm talking about) 

• Brohoof 1