Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the first news story you remember?

Reecejackox

9/11. Now, I was 3 years old at the time and I do remember things that happened before then, but 9/11 was the first news story that really stuck out. I wasn't really aware of the broader state of the world before then.

The first one I can remember is back in 2010 (I was 6) and it was when schools in the British Isles were shut because of the weather...

This is as close to the news story I can find online (I saw it on Scottish Television (STV))

• Brohoof 1

I don't really remember the first new story I watched, but I do remember the old Saint Louis news station opening sequence that had the line "Today in Saint Louis" and there was a little jingle and more lines to it too, but I don't really remember the rest, just that one line and the tune of the music which was really upbeat and kinda catchy. I had to have been about 3 or 4 years old at the time.  

To be honest I never watched much of the news. When I was young and the news came on, I always left the room to do something fun. When I got older I didn't really change. Now I avoid the news on principle. I do vaguely remember seeing some puff piece on Star Wars: The Phantom Menace and the long lines forming outside theaters, but that's about it. 

• Brohoof 1

Believe it or not, I actually think it was something on an Oprah program that my mother used to watch... I don't remember that exactly it was, but that's where I heard my first news story... :blink:

The death of Princess Diana. I was 6 when it happened, but its one of those historical events where I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing at the time. I walked into the kitchen getting ready for school and my parents were glued to the tiny little box TV on the counter, told us to shush and then explained what had happened and why it was such a big thing. I remember the images of the flower tributes at Buckingham Palace too and Elton John singing Candle in the Wind. All the while, I still didnt know what was going on other than to be sad about it.

But even then I didnt start avidly looking up the news until I was well into my teens. The next event I remember was seeing the Queen Mother's death and then after that it was 9/11. even though im British, the day that happened, it was really quite terrifying. And I was 10 at the time. The image thats still locked in my memory banks was the drainage inspection service video that witnessed the first plane.

The Chernobyl nuclear disaster. I think anyway. My memory is a bit rubbish, but I do remember this being terrifying. 

I would have been.... 7 or 8 years old. I remember my mother nearly having a stroke and I didn't understand why it was such a big deal. Later I learned that it was because it hadn't been too long ago she was considering staying in Europe and moving to Ukraine but decided that we'd move to America instead. 

The oldest one I remember was when the Columbine shooting happened. I was in the 2nd grade when it happened, and what happened afterwards made sure I wouldn't forget. Every other week or so the next school year, we and our backpacks would get searched regularly, the dress code was changed so that anyone couldn't be wearing a shirt "longer than your fingertips" would be told to tuck their shirts in. Police dogs would even come in and they would search for anything. There was also other kids getting in trouble for being kids. We were treated like criminals. This was also going on all over the country.

Monica Lewinsky, I vaguely remember what was happening, but I remember Bill Clinton being in deep doodoo

• Brohoof 1

when I was a girl I did not see the news ... however I remember when the news came out of the death of the singer Celia Cruz, I was a fan of her music, I was around 6 years old when she died.
besides that I'm not involved in the news ... in fact, I learned about the events of 9/11 many years after that.

I think it was about a house that had caught on fire

The earliest one I can remember most clearly however was about this kid who was home alone when someone broke into his house. He had one of those stair cases that goes half way then takes a turn going the opposite direction. He grabbed his baseball bat, and yelled from that midpoint for the guy to get out. He ended up walking up to the kid who froze and just took the bat from him without saying a word, then proceeded to rob the place while the kid cried in a corner. I remember that story because I was pissed off at him for being praised as a hero. I would have probably hidden my scared ass under the bed but if you're going to take a stand against an intruder, follow through on it. I feel bad for him now since that's a traumatizing experience and all and by not doing anything he might have saved his own life which is more valuable than whatever the intruder got away with but I'm still shaking my head a bit. He's probably got his own kids at this point.

I'm not really sure what it was. I just know it was on a local TV station (WRTV Channel 6 in Indianapolis), I didn't watch that station much as we watched WTHR (channel 13) more, but I know it was that.

Desert Storm starting up, pretty sure I could barely talk at that age but I asked Mom if the Americans were going to come kill us too. We didn't have TV news on after that until somewheres around 1997 lol

I remember the bombings of Baghdad back in 2003 live. To be more precise, it was this exactly what I saw. Strange watching this again, seeing all the wanton destruction and hearing all the terrible noise. Back then as a kid, I thought it was cool . Got quite a different view now :P

The Death of Princess Diana.

I didn't watch the news when I was younger, but damn did this storm through everything like a ton of bricks. I was on holiday in Ireland at the time and the overbearing coverage of it all was everywhere. The scenes and sounds of GMTV's ad break black screen tribute that happened every 15 - 30 mins on the programme still haunt me to this day. Made me realise what death was and how it was reported, and it's made me slightly fascinated with the media representation of it many years later.

I never really watched the news; who did as a kid :P ? I do remember watching/seeing stuff about the 2000 presidential election though. Maybe other stuff would ring a bell if mentioned.

It was definitely 9/11. That was the first time my mom woke me up early on a school day. I didn't quite understand what was happening. Saw the image of one of the towers smoldering and thought "Oh that looks bad." And I remember my mom telling me that a plane crashed into it. It was still early in the attack, so news that it was a hijacking wasn't 100% confirmed yet. Heck, when the teachers addressed it during class, they said it was actually a bomb that did it. So they got conflicting info too. 

My dad was supposed to fly home that day. Instead, his flight got canned and he got put on high alert. He was working at one of the north slope mines, which also happened to be one of the largest concentrations of explosives on the continent. So yeah, they were a tiny bit worried. Heck with his EMT training, he was kept on standby to be sent to New York. Luckily for him it didn't have to come to that.