Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Suffer from any Phobias? If so, Then How Does it Affect Your Life?

The Recherche

Fear. Fear is a natural (and healthy) emotion that we feel whenever we think we're in some form of danger. Unfortunately, some fears have a way of evolving into a phobia; an anxiety disorder in which you develop an irrational and persistent fear of an object or situation. 

... But let me stop talking about this like it's an essay. ^_^ Since all of us have our fears, i was wondering if any of you guys and gals have any phobias. I should make it clear, though; I'm speaking specifically of phobias; not a mild fear. :)

If you've spoken to me enough here, than you probably know what my phobia is: Lilapsophobia. I;E, the irrational fear of tornadoes and hurricanes. I'll just give you my brief story about this.

I'll be honest; I never liked storms when I was very young, and I would definitely say I was afraid of them. I wouldn't call it a phobia back then, though, due to the fact that it was basically just a childhood fear of mine. I won't lie; I don't mind thunderstorms too much now... or at least, I would be saying that. While I'm not afraid of standard thunderstorms anymore, my fear of them seemed to evolved somehow. Instead of me being afraid of thunderstorms, now I'm afraid of what they can become. This is the point where I discuss how this affects my life...

There is not a single day in summer that I'm not anticipating the absolute worst case scenario. Not. One. It could be a sunny day without a single cloud in the sky, and I would still be thinking about what might happen later. Not only this, but it has significantly affected how I travel during summertime. I'm always paranoid about leaving my house, to the point where I pretty much never go anywhere in summer. The storms aren't the only reason I strongly dislike summer (bugs, heat, noise...), but it's one of the aspects that contributes the most.

In short, summertime is an absolutely miserable experience for me, thanks to my lilapsophobia.

I know how stupid this is to, but I just can't control it! :blink: Every single damn time a thunderstorm rolls through, my heart starts racing for the first few minutes, I start listening to my music louder, I'm not as wiling to speak to people... it's just a mess. Granted, I'll usually calm down within 10 minutes (unless it's a severe storm), but that doesn't stop the cycle from repeating.

Oh, and don't even get me started on how I act when there's an actual tornado watch (or worse, warning) issued.

Anyways... with my little tirade out of the way, do you suffer from any Phobias? If so, what is it of, and how does it affect your life? Thanks in advance for any responses!

Edited by Recherche
  • Brohoof 2

As of now, I don't have any diagnosed phobias, but it doesn't mean I can't discover a few in the future. 

And I'm very sorry for your phobia, it doesn't sound fun. :( I'm sure it's a huge inconvenience for you. :sunny:

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Wannabrony said:

As of now, I don't have any diagnosed phobias, but it doesn't mean I can't discover a few in the future. 

And I'm very sorry for your phobia, it doesn't sound fun. :( I'm sure it's a huge inconvenience for you. :sunny:

oh it is when my dad tries to make go on one so i had to lie to saying i went on one

2 hours ago, Wannabrony said:

Well, I will say one thing: I have not been diagnosed with Lilapsophobia. Considering how I behave, though, one would be hard pressed to deny it. :pout:

2 hours ago, Wannabrony said:

Yeah, it is. :wat: I'm hoping to speak to a counselor in the future about this; I can't live like this for the rest of my life. 

• Brohoof 2

My phobias are...

Arachniphobia, Tachophobia, Fear being killed in my sleep by an anti-brony in my sleep, Fear of karoshi, Fear of the US government (oh no! The FBI will kill me now!), among others 

(Karoshi translates to Overwork Death or Being over worked to death)

NOT OFFICAILLY DIAGNOSED WITH ANYPHOBIAS!

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Sherbert Music-Guard said:

My phobias are...

Arachniphobia, Tachophobia, Fear being killed in my sleep by an anti-brony in my sleep, Fear of karoshi, Fear of the US government (oh no! The FBI will kill me now!), among others 

(Karoshi translates to Overwork Death or Being over worked to death)

NOT OFFICAILLY DIAGNOSED WITH ANYPHOBIAS!

i did know that

I think I have a fear of being around balloons, for fear that they will pop. The sound of Poping balloons IRL makes me jumpy. Cartoon balloons popping is fine, but in Real Life, being in a room full of them is makes me feel like I'm in a minefield where one wrong step and BOOM!

Edited by Wholly Windcharger
  • Brohoof 2

So I have mulitple phobias that tend to effect my life.

Coulrophobia - The Fear of Clowns : This one doesnt effect me unless I'm at an caranvial or fairs when I want a balloon animal but there are only clowns that do that. Also that they may be some type of creature thats wants to eat me, kill me, or steal my soul.

Aquaphobia - The Fear of Drowning : This tends to effect me when I go swimming. This happenes when Im under water and I feel like Im above wate so I open my mouth to breath and water rushes in causing me to choke and I struggle to get to the surface. It also takes place when Im in a lake and look at the almost endless water.

Trypanophobia - The Fear of Needles : This this one of my major fears. When I go into the clinic to get shots or get blood drawn, I freak out to the point where 4 nurse and my dad had to hold me down to get my blood drawn.

Claustrophobia - The Fear of Small Spaces : This happens when Im in the hallsways at my Jr. High and there is no room to move and people and running into me and I have small panic attacks. Also whn my family sends me into small places since Im the youngest in my family.

Pediophobia - Fear of Dolls : This is my major fear. I can not be in the same room alone with dolls. I get the feeling I'm  being watched by a living thing and that its gonna attack me. 

I also have a fear of evaluators. I hate being on evaluators because I hate the feeling of being pushed on and being dropped. I also fear that the cables are gonna snap and Im gonna fall to my death. 

These are the phobias I suffer from.

(( Sorry for the spelling errors I'm typing this through a tablet. ))

Edited by SmokeSong
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, SmokeSong said:

Pediophobia - Fear of Dolls : This is my major fear. I can not being in the same room alone with dolls. I get the feeling Im. being watched by a living thing and that its gonna attack me. 

I think everyo- never mind, I read past the hyphen!

4 minutes ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

The sound of Poping balloons IRL makes me jumpy.

Same for me, but it's just the popping of one

2 hours ago, SmokeSong said:

I also have a fear of evaluators. I hate being on evaluators because I hate the feeling of being pushed on and being dropped. I also fear that the cables are gonna snap and Im gonna fall to my death. 

I won't lie; I totally understand this fear! :adorkable: For some reason, I always image the elevator locking in place! :blink:

Yet another reason to use the stairs! :D

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Recherche said:

I won't lie; I totally understand this fear! :adorkable: For some reason, I always image the elevator locking in place! :blink:

Yet another reason to use the stairs! :D

My family likes to take advantage of my fear and jump up and down on an evaluator Im in with them. It freaks me out to where I'm gripping the railing until my knuckles are white.

My family likes to take advantage of my fear and jump up and down on an evaluator Im in with them. It freaks me out to where I'm gripping the railing until my knuckles are white.

Wow... I don't suppose they take it very seriously? :adorkable:

Just now, Recherche said:

Wow... I don't suppose they take it very seriously? :adorkable:

Not really, I think they think my fears are just things I make up to get attention. I think my dad understands and he just likes to mess with me, which I don't mind. But still I get really freaked out when my whole family is on an evaluator and we are likely over the weight limit.

• Brohoof 1

The possible phobia of syringes is quite the inconvenience. Even if I try to keep myself together during an injection, there's a 90 % chance that I'll faint right there about five seconds after the needle has punctured my skin. It doesn't necessarily need to be a physical experience either, sometimes even thinking about injections or something including blood or veins can make the sudden panic reaction happen - and on the floor I go, either because I indeed passed out or because I haven't passed out just yet. :maud:

One of the other things that effect me is the dark. Its not the dark itself, but it is what could be lurking in the dark. This really tends to have effect on me because I have very bad paranoia and schizophrenia. It also doesnt help I love scary movies and listening to Creepypasta stories.

1 minute ago, Jaspers said:

The possible phobia of syringes is quite the inconvenience. Even if I try to keep myself together during an injection, there's a 90 % chance that I'll faint right there about five seconds after the needle has punctured my skin. It doesn't necessarily need to be a physical experience either, sometimes even thinking about injections or something including blood or veins can make the sudden panic reaction happen - and on the floor I go, either because I indeed passed out or because I haven't passed out just yet. :maud:

Welcome to the club. I have almost punched doctors and fainted whn it comes to that. I actual almost passed out when I was suppose to get a lot of blood drawn.

• Brohoof 1

One of the other things that effect me is the dark. Its not the dark itself, but it is what could be lurking in the dark. This really tends to have effect on me because I have very bad paranoia and schizophrenia. It also doesnt help I love scary movies and listening to Creepypasta stories.

Y'know I once heard a quote from somewhere:

"Nobody is afraid of heights, they're afraid of the fall. Nobody is scared of the darkness, they're afraid of what's in it."

That seems to apply here. :)

6 minutes ago, SmokeSong said:

I actual almost passed out when I was suppose to get a lot of blood drawn.

That kind of situations are very intimidating and that sounds more than familiar. :wau: The day before yesterday I had to go lie on the floor for a while since the current health class was about vaccines. No pictures needed, just the topic itself was enough. 

30 minutes ago, SmokeSong said:

So I have mulitple phobias that tend to effect my life.

Coulrophobia - The Fear of Clowns : This one doesnt effect me unless I'm at an caranvial or fairs when I want a balloon animal but there are only clowns that do that. Also that they may be some type of creature thats wants to eat me, kill me, or steal my soul.

Those are only the evil clowns. Stupid media is making all clowns look evil these day. To me, only evil clowns are the ones to avoid. There needs to be more awareness of real clowns that are only supposed to make people laugh like REAL clowns should, not scared.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

Those are only the evil clowns. Stupid media is making all clowns look evil these day. To me, only evil clowns are the ones to avoid. There needs to be more awareness of real clowns that are only supposed to make people laugh like REAL clowns should, not scared.

Well I still get a weird vibe around clowns. It could be that reason why.

• Brohoof 1

For me it's... not EXACTLY a phobia but more of a high-strung fear. I'm fearful of falling - mostly due to my back condition (I have to perform specific exercises every day to avoid sciatic pain) and also how I've psychologically convinced myself to constantly worrying about falling. Heck, I've had frightful dreams where I fall and my whole lower back and shoulder bones crack and shatter like ceramic or glass.

Edited by Shabb3r
  • Brohoof 1

I have arachnophobia, and since I work with animals it makes it very difficult. I could be working on a hoarding case and notice a tarantula, than try to run off from fear. But I've been slowly getting over it

• Brohoof 2