Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Suffer from any Phobias? If so, Then How Does it Affect Your Life?

The Recherche

Claustrophobia

It doesn't really affect my life on a normal basis.Bassically I just can't really seem to feel comfortable,calm,or safe in tight/small spaces. 

The time my anxiety actually affected me the most had to be when I went to church on Ash Wednesday and the whole place was crowded with folks.Everywhere I looked there were people,I tried my best to keep Calm and relaxed but...nothing seemed to help and all hell broke loose when I actually started crying a bit,afraid of no escape.  ): 

• Brohoof 1

Bees and aliens.

Aliens mostly. Sometimes I can't sleep at night while thinking about those entities looking at me in my sleep aswell as shadow creatures and ghosts. I think I see things in the dark while I lay in bed and it scares the shit out of me. One night I thought I was abducted by aliens and I couldn't get images out of my head of them doing things to me for an entire day.

3 hours ago, Recherche said:

@shadowwarp940 That sounds quite problematic. :adorkable: Do snakes bug you like they do for most people?

3 hours ago, shadowwarp940 said:

@Recherche actually no, I think that they're cute. It's just spiders, they're so creepy

3 hours ago, Recherche said:

@shadowwarp940 Yeah, I agree. I don't know why, but snakes never bothered me as much as spiders (though even spiders don't bug me too much). :)

Reveal hidden contents

:D

kSC88eV.jpg

No fear of snakes for you two. I know a certain Forum Member who would be pleased to hear you say that. 

Spoiler

5ad7c4a4b1a80_Dr.MesmeRize.thumb.png.e12fe10cec9564a43f08923c9850f38b.png

• Brohoof 1

Thank you for the mention. :P

Now, i also have a phobia and i have a fear of wasps, bees and hornets and pretty much all flying bugs that can hurt me in general.

If i already the buzzing i get a little paniced and it can sometimes be very bad, if i feel that i get stung. :(

I guess I have a phobia of spiders and snakes. I don't go around all day, every day, fearing that I may come across one. But if/when I see one I get extremely upset (the bigger and uglier the spider or snake, the worse I react). Luckily I don't live in an area with many snakes so I don't give it that much thought (although you won't catch me anywhere near a snake exhibit even in a zoo). Spiders are an unfortunate fact of life and I don't allow the hideous things to control how I live; I merely dislike them intensely and go into panic mode if I see one too close (especially in my apartment). I always enlist someone else to squish it if possible or I'll use a broom with a very long handle to take care of the matter.

I do recognize that fear isn't something that should govern living a normal, happy life. But again, the fact of having the fear built into my psychological makeup isn't something to be ashamed of, merely dealt with. Especially since the ability to overcome it with logic and intellect is also part of every human being as well. It's just a matter of personal mental conditioning. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit

I have very, very mild claustrophobia (fear of enclosed spaces), although it's weird, big crowds don't bother me. It's the "enclosed spaces" part, if that makes any sense) and arachnophobia (fear of spiders) I'd say that last one is pretty extreme. :lie:

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

Aviophobia. Fear of flying. I just feel, if something goes wrong in a car or on a train, you're on the ground and there's different odds depending on the severity of the problem as to if you'll survive. Something goes wrong with a plane. There's like an automatic 95% chance you're dead cause you're in the air.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

@Cyclone 1066 Do you want me to give you some statistics to make you feel better? :bedeyes: Granted, these aren't absolutely concrete at all, but the margin is so huge that it almost doesn't make a difference.

Your chances of dying in a car crash are approximately 1/102.

You chances of dying in a plane crash?

Spoiler

1/5,000,000. Yes, 1 in 5,000,000.

Even assuming a 4.5 million margin of error... Your're still looking at 1/500,000. Even tripling your chances of surviving in a car crash won't get you anywhere near as high (1/306).

In short planes, are infinitely safer than cars.

Though this won't cure your Aviophobia, I hope you can find comfort in these statistics! :)

Edited by Recherche
  • Brohoof 1

@Recherche yeah, but my chances are zero if I don't get in a plane.:P 

How many planes have you heard of crashing from cruising altitude and there wasn't ANY fatalities.

Now, I myself have been in 4 car crashes already, haven't died in any of them. And that's just me, what about everyone else in the world that has been in carcrashes and not died.

You hear about car crashes where people don't die but almost every plane crash you hear about, at least one person died.

25 minutes ago, Cyclone 1066 said:

Aviophobia. Fear of flying. I just feel, if something goes wrong in a car or on a train, you're on the ground and there's different odds depending on the severity of the problem as to if you'll survive. Something goes wrong with a plane. There's like an automatic 95% chance you're dead cause you're in the air.

You have a fear of flying and yet your OC is a Pegasus. Hope I don't sound rude, but isn't that ironic?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@Cyclone 1066 Sure, car crashes are less lethal than plane crashes... but in the US, 37,000 people die in car accidents every year, and over 2 million are injured in some way.

How many people in the US died in plane crashes in 2017? 

Spoiler

Zero. Zero.

Worldwide, 89 people died due to aviation accidents, but 89 deaths worldwide doesn't even compare to 37,000 deaths in the US alone.

I'm sorry if any of this comes across as insulting in any way, I'm just trying to help you out here. :rarity:

Edited by Recherche

24 minutes ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

You have a fear of flying and yet your OC is a Pegasus. Hope I don't sound rude, but isn't that ironic?

It's mostly a control thing. Putting my life in someone else's hands at 37,000 feet above the ground just isn't my thing. If I had a personal plane, like a 2 seater, that I put all the wrench time in on it and I did the flying, I'd be alright.

Also, what's gonna happen? Is Cyclone's wing gonna become dislocated while in the air or something?:lol:

23 minutes ago, Recherche said:

@Cyclone 1066 Sure, car crashes are less lethal than plane crashes... but in the US, 37,000 people die in car accidents every year, and over 2 million are disabled in some way.

How many people in the US died in plane crashes in 2017? 

Reveal hidden contents

Zero. Zero.

Worldwide, 89 people died due to aviation accidents, but 89 deaths worldwide doesn't even compare to 37,000 deaths in the US alone.

I'm sorry if any of this comes across as insulting in any way, I'm just trying to help you out here. :rarity:

Not at all insulting. I look at myself sometimes and say what's wrong with flying? 

Here's another stat to look up though. How many people die of the flu each year compared to car crashes? (I have no idea what that stat is)

Edited by Cyclone 1066
  • Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Recherche said:

@Cyclone 1066 In the US, I believe roughly 56,000 people die due to the Flu vs 37,000 car crash fatalities.

Wow, the Flu kills more people than I thought it did... :blink:

Something's gotta kill ya I suppose. If it's not a traffic accident, it's old age.

Edited by Cyclone 1066
  • Brohoof 1

I have many. i fear high places, and snakes o'course. But the most strange thing is, i fear insects. any kind of, archropod, moth, and so on. especially moth, sometimes butterfly. when i was just a kid, there was a moth flew to my eye (I think she caught my eyeball and stood there) and i was freaked, from then on... 

If it don't have to be a noun, then there will be more. like i fear to be abandoned by my friends, i fear i lost my family, and and so on, sorry, i don't think this is what's this topic about tho and everypony fears that too

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Recherche said:

@Lucky Bolt Do tell... I'm awfully curious. :bedeyes:

Doesn't have anything to do with death, but I'm pretty sure an opossum breaking into a liquor store and helping herself to some whiskey counts as crazier. 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, twilly_brony said:

I have many. i fear high places, and snakes o'course. But the most strange thing is, i fear insects. any kind of, archropod, moth, and so on. especially moth, sometimes butterfly. when i was just a kid, there was a moth flew to my eye (I think she caught my eyeball and stood there) and i was freaked, from then on... 

If it don't have to be a noun, then there will be more. like i fear to be abandoned by my friends, i fear i lost my family, and and so on, sorry, i don't think this is what's this topic about tho and everypony fears that too

I have fear of grasshoppers, so your not alone on the insect train. They tend to jump at my face and my screams from going from half manly, to full on girly screams.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, twilly_brony said:

me to buddy i have fear of really high places,and rollercoster and lossing my love one's and best friends