Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Suffer from any Phobias? If so, Then How Does it Affect Your Life?

The Recherche

2 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Doesn't have anything to do with death, but I'm pretty sure an opossum breaking into a liquor store and helping herself to some whiskey counts as crazier. 

An opossum... broke into a liquor store... and got shitfaced...

... ... ...

OOSWLFC.gif

• Brohoof 2

23 hours ago, Recherche said:

Well, I will say one thing: I have not been diagnosed with Lilapsophobia. Considering how I behave, though, one would be hard pressed to deny it. :pout:

Yeah, it is. :wat: I'm hoping to speak to a counselor in the future about this; I can't live like this for the rest of my life. 

Have you ever tried to face it the most extreme way? Now, before I get on with my message, I'm not saying you should do that, it's just pure curiosity.
That said, have you ever stayed outside in the middle of a storm?

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Recherche said:

... ... ...

OOSWLFC.gif

That gif is me in math class when we learn something new that doesn't make any sense.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Recherche said:

... ... ...

OOSWLFC.gif

It's a true story! :lol: She even passed out afterwards. But nothing outta the ordinary here in Florida. 

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, JustAnAmatureWriter said:

I have fear of grasshoppers, so your not alone on the insect train. They tend to jump at my face and my screams from going from half manly, to full on girly screams.

oh i fear grasshoppers too! (like i said, any kind of insect) when i was just a kid those fillies always thought i don't fear any of these things just because i was a colt, so once they asked me to kill a moth cuz they didn't dare to, it stayed in the window, at first i still thought i could make it, there are so many fillies arount after all, you know, but then i saw it, and i screamed louder than those fillies, and i ran away, out of my classroom... 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Vintjack Greasymane said:

So, I'm assuming tornados are not rare over there, right?

Actually... no. They're not some huge anomaly that just shouldn't happen or anything, but there's usually only one storm capable of producing one every year (capable; believe it or not, I've never actually experienced a tornado in my life).

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Vintjack Greasymane said:

@Recherche I can totally believe that, since I haven't, as well.
The only tornado I know for sure had been produced around here is the mid summer 2016 one, but I didn't see it, so I guess it doesn't count.

Over here, the thing that could worry the most are earthquakes.

they can also produced in spring,winter ,fall, and summer if you live in a tornado ally

Edited by princess celestia2
  • Brohoof 1

Oh, I have a really odd update to this situation: apparently, there was a tornado warning (not watch, warning) in my area on the 16th. :wacko: It was really early in the morning (4 am), but I just have one question...

How the hell did I not notice until now!?

I guess I really am a heavy sleeper... :blink:

4 minutes ago, Recherche said:

Oh, I have a really odd update to this situation: apparently, there was a tornado warning (not watch, warning) in my area on the 16th. :wacko: It was really early in the morning (4 am), but I just have one question...

How the hell did I not notice until now!?

I guess I really am a heavy sleeper... :blink:

That's is some scary stuff.

.IMG_0077.GIF.e48bb4100e74af4c348cd2c7e553d6a4.GIF

• Brohoof 1

I've got a few, not been officially diagnosed or anything but they're still a thing for me:

Fear of Being Judged by Others/Negative Impacts of Social Interaction - It's most likely a social anxiety disorder but I've never got it checked. This is the one that mostly effects me on a daily level, because my fear of making a bad impression or having people judge me makes me have anxiety attacks when watching TV or films, something I do regularly. I personally want to make a good first impression whenever I meet someone, because I hate being judged negatively by others and having control over the situation and making sure it works keeps me at ease. However when it comes to fictional media properties, I have no control and I feel immense discomfort watching a character when they do something that COULD or DOES impact negatively on their relationships with other characters, because I KNOW I'd approach it differently and avoid the issues at hand.

This is of course a problem, because these situations are used a lot to intensify conflicts, create tension or play for laughs that makes a narrative or characters development work structurally but it effects me to the point where I end up doing a myriad of things that come with the sensory overload that overwhelms me whenever I'm watching. I end up either switching the channel, muting the TV, fast forwarding the show, hide behind doors, go into the other room or quit watching on home media/streaming. In the cinema, I end up covering my ears and eyes with my hands or hide my head in a hoody or hat thanks to being overwhelmed and unable to escape it like I do at home, if I can I leave to go to the toilet even if I don't want to go (predicting when the scene in question ends to go back in). Hell I even look up plot spoilers to know WHERE the result of certain interactions and scenes will go to ensure my fears are not troubled. As you can tell, it makes watching fictional media a major chore for me and for others who do it with me knowing it can happen. How the hell I manage to review MLP episodes, analyse other programmes and films or even enjoy things despite it is insane, but I have to work through the pain.

An extreme example was when I went to watch the anime film, A Silent Voice in cinemas. I had a panic attack in the toilet ten minutes before the film even started because I knew the film from reading some of the manga, and that it would deal with negative social relationships as a core plot device for its entire 2 hour run-time. As a result, I couldn't enjoy a film I'd been looking forward to for years and when it combined the overbearing anxiety overload I had with highly emotional moments that resonated with me personally, I broke down after it ended because while the film WAS great, it was torture to sit through thanks to this damn fear. I've tried to overcome it with exposure therapy and the help of counsellors to try and disclose the root of the problem but nothing helps. They told me it's all a reaction to my fear of being judged by others and well, it can't be stopped unless I stop thinking about it... hell, it lead to another fear listed below thanks to its overwhelming influence. A friend told me its something I should take meds for, but due to being Straight Edge and not liking drugs effecting how my mind works, I don't want such a thing 'helping'. It may seem over the top and ridiculous, but it's something I've laboured with for many years, and it shows no signs of stopping. I can tolerate the other fears listed below to a certain degree, but this one is the one that comes back with reckless abandon every time.

Fear of Bats - Stemming from a childhood incident where a bat flew into the bedroom my brother and I used to share. Now I freak out at the possibility of being anywhere near them, hell being around them at zoos has left me petrified. Knowing my families' house has bats living in the attic and that they're always a threat to enter the house at any point makes me over the top about shutting doors and windows at night and having lights on to stop them flying around... my Dad hates that I do this, but tolerates it knowing I fear them so heavily.

Fear of Death - I don't leave my house much, unless I have to because I know it's safer not to. I'm not likely to die if nothing happens to me, right? Hell, as noted above, no one's going to judge me negatively if they never see or interact with me, so I guess that's fine. People live life by taking risks, and I'd rather not do that to ensure I keep on living... that won't stop the thoughts of the death of me and others creeping up on my mind, leading to me becoming a depressed emotional wreck, which is not at all helped by the housebound near hermit status I have.

Edited by Vocal Analyst
  • Brohoof 1

None of these are diagnosed fears, but I'm almost certain I have them, (and frankly no piece of paper is going to change that):

Fear of drowning/deep water- I had already had this for a long time, but it intensified in fifth grade where I was nearly drowned at a freaking waterpark because somebody dunked me into the water. Longest minute and a half of my life. Total torture, believe me. Now I avoid anything to do with that as much as I can because it's never a pleasant experience for me.

Fear of heights- still exists, but it used to be so bad I couldn't even climb a jungle gym without getting woozy, anxious, and mortified. Now it takes a few more feet than that for me to have that issue. Maybe looking down 10 or 15 feet instead of 5. But it is still there.

Fear of social embarrassment- I don't feel like telling the entire story here, but I'll summarize it. I've embarrassed myself so much that I'm afraid almost everything I do is going to end up embarrassing myself later. Might be an anxiety disorder or it might also be an autism thing, so I don't know.

• Brohoof 1

Well, honestly. Nothing.

I mean, the only time I don't like heights is if I'm not on stable footing, but wouldn't that be common sense? if I'm on something solid, it doesn't bother me. And since I'm not afraid of dying, I don't have a lot of other general safety type of fears. I know that sounds really...stupid---that I don't fear anything but---I mean, I don't really.  I have OCD, but that's about it.

• Brohoof 1

On 4/18/2018 at 9:41 AM, Recherche said:

If you've spoken to me enough here, than you probably know what my phobia is: Lilapsophobia. I;E, the irrational fear of tornadoes and hurricanes.

There's nothing irrational about fearing these bad boys.  You want to stay away from them as much as possible.  I would suggest moving to Arizona.  Zero chance of hurricanes and next-to-zero chance of tornadoes.  If I could, I'd be winging my way to Phoenix ASAP.

• Brohoof 1

@Mortar When I said irrational fear of tornadoes, I didn't necessarily mean, "I'm afraid of tornadoes, and that's bad." I actually meant something like, "I am afraid of tornadoes, even when there's no justifiable reason for me to be." 

Sorry about the confusion. :adorkable:

• 4 weeks later...

I struggle with emetophobia (the fear of vomiting), thalassophobia (the fear of deep water), claustorphobia (the fear of small, tight spaces), and arachnophobia (the fear of spiders). I will go tremendously out of my way to avoid these things.

• Brohoof 1

My phobia is actually really odd and out of character for me. As a person who is not bothered by anything, truly, big or small, this comes as a huge surprise to me:

Ants. Myrmecophobia. My stomach flipped even writing the word.

I actually like insects and try to be as close to them as possible. Never killed spiders in my house. I've always picked up and observed every insect I found, fascinated by them. Let them crawl over my hands, my arms...But ants? Ah! I am so afraid to see the hoards of them on the floor, just...crawling. I don't know why I'm so inexplicably afraid of them, but they are my worst fear.

That and getting fat. Pocrescophobia. I'm sure its just a lingering symptom from my past with anorexia, but come to think of it that may be my worst fear. I've woken up from night terrors about it. 

I'm odd. :blink:

• Brohoof 1

While I have never really been professionally diagnosed with any phobias, I can safely say for myself that I suffer from Thalassophobia (in this case: the fear of being in large bodies of water) and Acrophobia (the fear of heights)...with the latter of which leading to me suffering from Basophobia/Basiphobia (the fear of falling), Climacophobia (the fear of climbing), and somewhat Bathmophobia (the fear of slopes/stairs).

These can be traced back to me almost being dropped from one of the top floors of an airport (where there wasn't any windows) as a young child, as well as me almost drowning within a lake when I was accidentally dropped into the water a couple years after the airport incident.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Huh... I for one love being in deep water :P. Open water swimming is one of my favorite things to do when I get the chance... it really clears my head.

Anyway, I fear losing people that I'm close to, and probably so much so that it's unhealthy, but I don't know the name of the phobia for that... :huh: 

Edited by Wightling
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Wightling said:

Anyway, I fear losing people that I'm close to, and probably so much that it's unhealthy, but I don't know the name of the phobia for that... :huh: 

Thanatophobia is the closest I could find, but it specifically relates to someone (or yourself) passing away, not just broken relationships. :o

• Brohoof 1

Snakes,   I have a deep fear of snakes and anything that is snake-like.    I've been known to freak out even around fake toy snakes.    It really does not stop from living my life on a day to day base.

• Brohoof 1