Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is there a religion in Equestria?

Wonderbolt Slipstream

There is, and it's called Celestia-ism.

Jokes aside, I wonder what happens to ponies when they die. It makes sense that something like that wouldn't be in a children's show, but I'm still curious. Is there a pony heaven and hell? Do their souls just disappear after death? Do they even have souls? What is a soul? Now I'm getting more into real-life religion and stuff. Ignore that.

Edited by Booker

16 minutes ago, Booker said:

Jokes aside, I wonder what happens to ponies when they die. It makes sense that something like that wouldn't be in a children's show, but I'm still curious. Is there a pony heaven and hell? Do their souls just disappear after death? Do they even have souls? What is a soul? Now I'm getting more into real-life religion and stuff. Ignore that.

Well both references to ghosts and zombies are in the first season. Not to mention the Spirits of Hearths Warming.

So the notions of spirits and undeath are canon.

Edited by ShadOBabe

Does the "power of friendship" counts as religion? The tree of harmony could be a sort of god and it certainly has been a literal Deus ex machina.

There's the Aztec ponies. They actually worship their own gods. So who's to say there can't be other ponies that can make a religion out of anything in the world of equestria.

Edited by Ittoni

On 11/3/2019 at 11:53 PM, Booker said:

I want to think they either reincarnate or go to other dimensions. Or maybe they are like people on Pokemon and they become another form of life entirely, like shadow ponies or something.

I sincerely hope not.  Be it based in supernatural superstitions, or completely terrestrial, anything resembling religion is a terrible thing.  No matter what you believe in, there is no warrant for worshiping anything, even gods.  Religion is the antithesis of free and open inquiry.  Religious thinking, even the most well intended, leads down the road of division and dogma, and that road, if followed to its ultimate end, leads only to one place: killing those you disagree with.

Luckily, there is no evidence of religion in the pony world.  They've never shown a propensity for dogmatic nor superstitious thinking, thank Celestia.

• Brohoof 1