Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask Longhaul

Longhaul

I suppose it's only fair that I set one of these up.  I'll answer as honestly as I can without getting too personal, as I'm sure you don't really want to know all that stuff.

So ... ask away, if you want.

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

Say @Longhaul, I got two questions for you- What state do you live in? And another one, are you a cross-county truck driver, or are you more of a local truck driver? 

Good questions all.

To start, I currently live in north Texas, in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.  I've lived here for close to 9 years now.  I spent most of my life living in southeastern Connecticut before moving to Minnesota for five years.

I currently work as a linehaul driver, which means I work out of my company's terminal here in north Texas, and my job is taking trailer loads of freight our pickup and delivery drivers gather during the day to one of our other terminals (either directly to Oklahoma City, Austin, or Houston, or to our regional hub in Tulsa). Occasionally, I'll meet a driver along the route and swap trailers if it's more convenient to do that.  So, I guess I'd be on the line between local and regional, given that I do cross state lines periodically.

I started out as an over-the-road driver, and did that until I got tires of living the gypsy lifestyle.  I'm happier now that I can be home every night and have my weekends free.

• Brohoof 2

Greetings, mine friend!

I would like to know, if 't be true that's not too personal to answer, what made thee start writing fanfiction (for the very first time and for MLP (first time likewise, I guess that was for EG))? Mine gratitude in advance! benevolent.png.6014cd558e5674b436a51d86639a5108.png

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Alexshy said:

Greetings, mine friend!

I would like to know, if 't be true that's not too personal to answer, what made thee start writing fanfiction (for the very first time and for MLP (first time likewise, I guess that was for EG))? Mine gratitude in advance! benevolent.png.6014cd558e5674b436a51d86639a5108.png

A very fair question, and not too personal at all.  

Let's go back about 20 years, when I was running a fanfiction site for the television show, "CHiPs."  I was hosting stories from a wide variety of authors and had struck up a friendship with one of them, a fabulous writer and very consistent in her quality.  Well, one day, she asked me if I had ever written a story,and I answered no.  We talked about this for a while, and eventually it came down to her daring me to write something and posting it on the site.  I did so, and it was a decent little story for a first effort, got a bit of praise from some of the other authors. and it led me to write another one a short time later.  Those were the only two I had written, and they've since been lost to the mists of time.

My first MLP story, the EG one I had shown you, was based on an idea I had that sprung into my head and wouldn't go away.  I was (and still am) roleplay-writing with a friend I had met on Fillydelphia, a MLP roleplay site, and we were making a foray into the world of Equestria Girls from the land of magical pastel ponies.  It wasn't too long after the second EG movie that I had the flash hit me for that story, and I just began writing it.  It took me a little over a week to write, and as I was certain it wasn't worthy of being on Fimfiction, posted it elsewhere.

• Brohoof 1

Actually, if 't be true thou expand the past of thy character a zilch, thou can freely post it on FF methinks. I shall give reasons anon. One of the main - today's FimFiction is in drastic need of kind and thoughtful stories...

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Alexshy said:

Actually, if 't be true thou expand the past of thy character a zilch, thou can freely post it on FF methinks. I shall give reasons anon. One of the main - today's FimFiction is in drastic need of kind and thoughtful stories...

I'd have to give it some thought and see how I could do that.  I tried writing a ponified version of Longhaul's backstory, but it turned pretty dark, not only in my own thoughts, but in written form.  If I can do it without dredging up old wounds, I will gladly do so.

Say @Longhaul, do you work nights? Also, how often do you work? If you do work nights and you have the "night off", do you sleep during the night instead, or do you still sleep during the day anyways? Also if you have been working nights, how long have you been doing that? 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, King of Canterlot said:

Say @Longhaul, do you work nights? Also, how often do you work? If you do work nights and you have the "night off", do you sleep during the night instead, or do you still sleep during the day anyways? Also if you have been working nights, how long have you been doing that? 

I do work night, yes.  I currently work on a Monday night to Friday night schedule, with Saturday and Sunday night off.  

On my nights off, I sleep on as regular a schedule as I can, meaning I'll stay up all day Saturday after I get home from work, run errands, and sleep at night.  On Sunday I'll stay up a bit later and get a quick nap in before I have to go out and do my usual Monday chores (laundry, sometimes a more grocery shopping) and nap Monday afternoon to get ready for work that night.

I've been on this schedule for close to five years now.

• Brohoof 1

On 6/29/2018 at 9:01 PM, Califorum said:

How was your day?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but my days are getting better.  Still getting the hang of the new duties.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Longhaul said:

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but my days are getting better.  Still getting the hang of the new duties.

It's alright, and I'm glad they are.

What do you think of me if I may ask?

4 hours ago, Califorum said:

It's alright, and I'm glad they are.

What do you think of me if I may ask?

Interesting question.

When we first spoke, I found you to be a very nice person.  It was during that conversation that a certain fact about myself was revealed, and our conversation abruptly stopped at that point.  I chalked it up to an unwillingness to continue and left it at that, figuring any attempt to continue would make you feel uncomfortable.  As such, I resolved to stay out of your way as much as possible.

I still consider you a very nice person, that much hasn't changed.  I am, however, willing to respect your boundaries and should you not wish to speak or interact with me anymore, I will understand.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 minute ago, Longhaul said:

Interesting question.

When we first spoke, I found you to be a very nice person.  It was during that conversation that a certain fact about myself was revealed, and our conversation abruptly stopped at that point.  I chalked it up to an unwillingness to continue and left it at that, figuring any attempt to continue would make you feel uncomfortable.  As such, I resolved to stay out of your way as much as possible.

I still consider you a very nice person, that much hasn't changed.  I am, however, willing to respect your boundaries and should you not wish to speak or interact with me anymore, I will understand.

Don't worry about that. I don't know why I did what I did and I'm sorry that I made you do that.

Edited by Califorum