Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have You Ever Had a Role Model? If so, Did You Ever Surpass Them?

The Recherche

I'm sure most of us have looked up to someone at some point our lives. Whether it's your parent, a celebrity, a sportsman, or anything in between, some people just... inspire us, you know? :ooh: I was kinda wondering if any of you guys and gals had any individual who you hold in high regard. 

With an added bonus question... if you have had a role model... did you ever surpass them? :o If you looked up to the local guitarist, did you ever outperform them? If you looked up to the county priest, did you ever spread the word even better than he or she did? If you admired your college's top sports player, did you ever defeat them in a game?

While I personally don't have any role models right now, I'm sure many other people do! With that said, I'm looking forward to hearing what you all have to say about this! :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 3

Hmm... I can't remember ever idolizing any artist or athlete enough to call them my role models. I look up to and respect them because of their skills of course, but for me role model is something more than some dude with epic bass solo :lol: I guess my role models are my parents and couple great teachers I have had. Maybe even my older brother now when I think about it... They all have different "fields of expertise" that I admire and respect, but thing they all have common is that they all are kind, caring and friendly persons who make others feel better about themselves each on their own way.

I have yet not surpassed any of them, not sure if I ever will because being a good person is not a race you could win or something you could measure. If people don't spit on my grave, I consider that I have done well enough. :P

1 hour ago, Recherche said:

While I personally don't have any role models right now

Did you have role models earlier and did you outshine them?

• Brohoof 1

@Divine plywood True, true. Humanity is not a skill; it's all in one's heart an conscious efforts! :squee:

With that said, I don't think I ever idolized anyone, really. :pout: The closest I can think of is my father. due to the fact that he worked in law enforcement (he has since retired, though). It would be a huge lie for me to say that I'm a better police officer than my father for... obvious reasons! ^_^

• Brohoof 1

Yes, and I don't know if I've 'surpassed' them, but I believe they have elevated me to a better place.

I'm also looked up to. So I'm in both positions, which to me is quite natural for someone my age.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I came upon a new role model a few years ago. It's still hard to process exactly how different my life would be if I had never came across her and her music. I had long given up on music a couple of years before. When I came across her, I suddenly wanted to try again.

I could never strive to be better than her. She is a woodwind goddess. Lol. Besides, at no point have I ever wanted to be better than her. I just wanted to learn to play even a fraction as pretty as her.

• Brohoof 1

I have many role models. They have a broad range of talents, abilities and admirable qualities I have always aspired to. I can't say I've ever surpassed any of them because most are far beyond me skill set, hence my admiration for them. But what they have done is inspire me to be the best 'me' I can be and to elevate my own personal best. So, while I haven't surpassed anyone, I can certainly say I've excelled in some areas because of them. So let's just say I surpassed myself because of them. 

• Brohoof 1

A huge role model to me would be my older cousin. Ever since I was little I looked up to her, thought she was the coolest person ever. In fact I still do, even though we live kinda far from each other now. We don't keep in contact much anymore, but I wish we did. I miss her. She's like the big sister I never had. She also used to compete in rodeos and different western horse shows a few years back, but quit ever since her horse passed away. Thanks to her, I wanna be a rodeo star too. Haven't yet surpassed her, but I'm planning on it. :D

Another person I idolize in a huge way is Jimmie Johnson, but it's kinda like a celebrity crush thing going on too, so I'm not sure if that counts. :lol:

Edited by Lucky Bolt

@Lucky Bolt Oh, a rodeo star huh? I don't see that ever day! :squee: Are you working on your skills right now, or is that a future plan for the time being? :grin:

Oh, and on the subject of celebrity crushes, they can count, but I was talking more about people you admire for their skills and talents, not necessarily their attractiveness. :)

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Recherche said:

@Lucky Bolt Oh, a rodeo star huh? I don't see that ever day! :squee: Are you working on your skills right now, or is that a future plan for the time being? :grin:

Oh, and on the subject of celebrity crushes, they can count, but I was talking more about people you admire for their skills and talents, not necessarily their attractiveness. :)

Well, I'd say that's a future plan for now. I need to find a good place that offers western riding lessons, every other place is just too darn expensive to stay there long. :scoots: But it's definitely something I want to pursue. 

(And just in case you don't know who Jimmie Johnson is, he's a NASCAR driver, probably the best there ever was.) But you see that's just the thing, I admire his skills with racing, his attitude and personality (if it weren't for him I wouldn't have my other major dream of becoming a race car driver) AND his good looks. :P It that makes any sense. 

• Brohoof 2

@Lucky Bolt Well, I wish you good fortune! Just try not to hurt yourself too badly! :yay:

Rodeo and NASCAR, huh? You seem to have an affinity for speed! You ought to like DragonForce! :lol:

Spoiler

All joking aside, good luck with your future endeavors, whichever path you may decide to take! :squee:

My grandpa. He was born a poor dirt farmer. Started a business from the ground up while still in high school and kept it going for 56 years and was married to the same woman for a few less than that. He also was a cop for a few years, and got enough support from the community to get voted in as county treasurer with over 4500 votes out of the about 5000 that voted and got re-elected to that office for 22 years. He retired from that office to give someone else a chance. He kept up the business and his little horse farm but still had time to raise 3 daughters and then 5 grandkids when the time came and STILL had time to be at his friend's house every week to watch wrestling. He took time away from the auction business, even though he was stressed about it to the point of sleep deprivation, to take us grandkids out for supper and go to tractor shows and horse pulls. So many people knew and loved him, that when we lost him, we had to extend his funeral visitation by 2 hours just to get all the people through. The line went down the road and weaved through all the pews in the church.

If I EVER accomplish HALF the things that man did, I'll consider it a life well spent.

Edited by Cyclone 1066

5 minutes ago, Cyclone 1066 said:

My grandpa. He was born a poor dirt farmer. Started a business from the ground up while still in high school and kept it going for 56 years and was married to the same woman for a few less than that. He also was a cop for a few years, and got enough support from the community to get voted in as county treasurer with over 4500 votes out of the about 5000 that voted and got re-elected to that office for 22 years. He retired from that office to give someone else a chance. He kept up the business and his little horse farm but still had time to raise 3 daughters and then 5 grandkids when the time came and STILL had time to be at his friend's house every week to watch wrestling. He took time away from the auction business, even though he was stressed about it to the point of sleep deprivation, to take us grandkids out for supper and go to tractor shows and horse pulls. So many people knew and loved him, that when we lost him, we had to extend his funeral visitation by 2 hours just to get all the people through. The line went down the road and weaved through all the pews in the church.

If I EVER accomplish HALF the things that man did, I'll consider it a life well spent.

Wow, I never knew he did all THAT. 

• Brohoof 2

I've had several for a multitude of aspects. I don't think I would ever say I could surpass them because the way I describe a role model is they're a person I want to emulate as much as possible. To surpass them is to say there's a goal you've reached and gone past, I don't think aspiring to be like someone in a certain way is something you can really surpass. Unless they've set a record of some kind, you admire them for it, and you beat their record. 

I have a tendency to make role models of people for only a few reasons. Not so much in general. I love Marie Curie's work in chemistry, but her fashion needed help. I liked quite a few aspects of Machiavelli for his philosophy and for writing The Prince, but I wouldn't exactly say I ascribe to the notion of the ends justifying the means. 

@Sunset Rose True, true. :) When I spoke about surpassing a role model, I was largely talking about things that have ranking systems, or are some sort of competition in general.  Sorry if it seemed like I was implying that you became a better person than them or something! :adorkable:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have maybe two role models right now. One of them is a celebrity, one is (I consider) a great friend of mine. :) The celebrity I'm referring to is Lin-Manuel Miranda, he's humble, charming and funny and he seems really nice too. He does everything with burning passion and is a genius with his rhymes. He has written three musicals, scores and numbers for various other musicals, writing and singing music for many shows and movies, including Moana and Stars Wars: The Force Awakens. He's a bit awkward and loves his family, I look up to him a bit. :P

Needless to say, I have not surpassed Lin-Manuel Miranda or any other celebrity or any other person that is known by more than 100 people. :D As for my friend, it's completely safe to say that I have not surpassed them, at all. :adorkable: They are super friendly and have achieved a lot more than me, (in terms of... everything. :please:) and though I don't know why they even hang out with me, you won't see me complaining! :squee: 

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...