Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mobile Functionality & Spoiler quotes

Passion

Wasn't able to find anything on it, so...

1st: Is it possible to have a non-mobile view of the site on a mobile? I could have sworn there was an option for this a long time ago at the bottom to switch from mobile to regular view.

Mobile does not provide all the elements I sometimes need (like signatures) for obvious reasons.

First one fixed, guess I was just blind. Or rather, ignoring the settings button due to Chrome nagging me about an update I do not want to install...

2nd: When I edit a post that had a spoiler tag in it, I seem to be unable to edit the text which is outside the spoilered thing. Afterwards, multiple editions seems to turn off additional parts of text and render it unable for editing, unless they were added to the block which was edited recently. Am I doing something wrong?

• Brohoof 3

For the 1st question, well If you're using android with the Chrome browser, it is possible.

Just go to the menu of the browser, then tap for the desktop site mode.

Screenshot_20180424-031500.thumb.png.c035ec613e6563c7274e6db827d7ee5a.png

I can't answer the second question.

• Brohoof 1

19 hours ago, Khajiit said:

2nd: When I edit a post that had a spoiler tag in it, I seem to be unable to edit the text which is outside the spoilered thing. Afterwards, multiple editions seems to turn off additional parts of text and render it unable for editing, unless they were added to the block which was edited recently. Am I doing something wrong?

I assume you refer to the mobile version?

Either way I just wanted to add, that similar thing was happening on desktop version as well.
A specific combination of spoilers and quotes or improper formatting while using code tag caused posts to glitch. A glitched post also caused the page layout to go off - though only the part after that post, so the top was fine, but the part past the post was broken. When trying to edit the post, the editor was loaded wrongly as well, which resulted in few lines of text after the glitched part being rendered outside the editor - it looked like editing only the part of the post. To fix that, one had to remove the broken part, save changes and refresh the page.

With that being said, it was possible to glitch the site layout for everypony on purpose once knowing how.

No worries though, this bug was happening on V3, it has been fixed with V4 upgrade (or at least the methods above don't work anymore).

What I said may be completely irrelevant, however, the issue description sounds similar to me. I'm curious how it looks like, could you post a screenshot of it?

Does it always happen whenever there are spoilers in the post? And most importantly, how do you create the spoilers in your posts? There seem to be issues with spoilers when they are created using spoiler tags (BBCode, that is) - if possible, try using the buttons in the editor (it will be the eye icon in your case).

I think, that removing the spoiler from your post and refreshing the page would bring it back to normal, though not sure if the issue is the same as the one I have in mind.

Hope that helps. :) 

(edited)

Sorry, didn't specify. I wasn't referring to mobile version. I tend to spoiler long posts, and due to their length it would be a pain to type them out on cell. I'm referring to regular PC and desktop version.

I currently don't have time to do so, but I will try to recreate the issue on testing forum and play around with it. I always type spoiler tags manually, as in (spoiler)(/spoiler), so yeah I do use manual BBCode. Didn't try removing them yet at any point. Not sure how site reacts to socketing spoilers into spoilers either, but it seems that editing the post treats it as "quoting yourself" a bit, and some data is considered as an image?

For now I only have scarce data to fill you in more in-depth.

As for page layout, I am not experiencing any issues with it. Neither on mobile version nor the desktop one. The issue is purely with post edition abilities. Once I'll have more time I'll experiment a bit and then try to post step-by-step instruction on what I did and at which step the problem occurs.

Edited by Khajiit

Hmmm then I think I know what issue you're experiencing. Actually I was wondering if that was fixed since I was avoiding that glitch, so didn't bump into it for a long time now. ~Apparently it wasn't.

This is a bug within the forum software, it's not MLPF's fault. With that being said, you'll most likely encounter the same issue on the other sites using this forum software.

Long story short, as of V4 the text editor is more automatic. Before that upgrade we could use either WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) or BBCode modes, so obviously manual BBCode tags, such as (spoilers) were working properly, because the software was prepared for that. However, as of V4 we can only use pure WYSIWYG mode (additionally HTML if allowed by staff). That means, that it is highly recommended to use the buttons in the toolbar to put your contents already formatted ready for use. -- it's just like putting links to images- these are translated automatically while editing, so you can see the images even before posting.

Basically, it is advised to be able to see how exactly your post will look like even before posting it (As the "WYSIWYG" mode's name suggests). With manually putting BBCode tags, such as (spoiler)(/spoiler), you have raw code in the editor, that gets translated when submitting ~ on the fly, which apparently generates issues.

While color, font and other codes seem to work properly, the ones, that generate special boxes (spoiler / quote / code) tend to go wild when initialized on the fly.

To avoid that issue, just use the buttons in the toolbar. For example if you'll click the eye icon, it will put a spoiler box in your text editor - already formatted as a box, than can be dragged around etc., rather than raw code. This makes the contents way more optimized and can save them from getting corrupted upon sending.

As far as I can tell, there are no issues with stacking spoilers within spoilers as long as the boxes are initialized while editing achieved by using the buttons. However, there still are some glitches related to dragging them around, but that's a different story.

Stacking spoilers by using (spoiler) tags definitely can create a disaster, I broke many posts that way myself.

In regards to the page layout, it was fixed in V4. Generally the issue you're experiencing is almost the same as the one in V3, but at least it doesn't break that page's layout anymore.

Summarizing, I highly recommend using buttons whenever possible, instead of manually typing codes.

To fix your post, you need to get rid of the spoiler tags, save, then reload the page - and then put the contents back in the spoiler by highlighting them and pressing the eye icon. That should format your post correctly.
I'd gladly take a look at that myself to fix it for you. That way I'd be able to pinpoint the problem, but welp. :derp: 

Hope that helps! :) 

Edited by Rikifive