Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Are Your Biggest Pet Peeves?

The Recherche

The fact that I can't adjust vibration intensity on my phone. Some apps are nice and logical. Like Facebook messenger goes buzz but then there's the regular texting app which goes BUUUUUUUUUZZ BUUUUUUUUUZZ and I hate it with a burning passion cause it is annoying as hell.

Edited by Cyclone1066
  • Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

Daily Pet Peeve.

When people called other 'stupid' just because if the person like what they don't like or just simply don't know something because they just.didn't.know. First, just because they like something you don't doesn't make them stupid. And second, "They're stupid because they don't understand" rant ain't gonna help anyone. Except making you the arrogant one. The world doesn't involve around you or your fucking so-called "philosophy".

StuPiD people are people who's arrogant or who already knows better but play stupid for the sake wasting their breathe and energy. 

I see and hear this happen most of the time and the phase "humanity's stupidly" is overly and wrongly used. So I'm gonna end it with this, if you don't have nice thing to say, STFU.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Sky Serenade said:
  • The 'audience laughing' effect in shows. At. Every. Single. Joke.

I can agree with this one too. Literally makes me wanna shut the tv off and toss it XD

• Brohoof 4

18 hours ago, Sky Serenade said:

There's no easier way to indicate "This show is not actually funny" than putting in a laugh track.

I've seen people argue that it's added because of some study that it makes audiences more likely to laugh, but for me it feels completely forced, and when I don't laugh at something that the laugh track plays at then it makes me feel like the show isn't for me.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Envy said:

There's no easier way to indicate "This show is not actually funny" than putting in a laugh track.

I've seen people argue that it's added because of some study that it makes audiences more likely to laugh, but for me it feels completely forced, and when I don't laugh at something that the laugh track plays at then it makes me feel like the show isn't for me.

Exactly! It's especially annoying when I don't think the joke is funny at all (Which unfortunately is usually most of the time in these shows because the jokes are too try hard and are that bad). If a show has that effect, I refrain from watching it.

• Brohoof 3

22 hours ago, Sky Serenade said:

I can't stand laugh tracks either – I find most shows with them downright unwatchable. Some of those shows supposedly have live audiences, but the end result is usually just as annoying – and at least some of the laughter is still artificially enhanced, meaning that there's practically no difference. I can't see the point anyway – audience laughter in stage comedy is one thing, but in a show with more than one setting, filmed in a studio and edited, it doesn't feel natural at all. :please: Laugh tracks in cartoons were a particularly terrible idea (and especially distracting when there's no dialogue, like in the Pink Panther cartoons).

In addition, it seems that laugh tracks are becoming more and more intrusive to the point where it's louder than the dialogue itself. Also it's being added to completely unnecessary parts. The worst example must be this:

When I saw this clip, I thought it was an edited one, intended to make fun of excessive use of laugh tracks. But apparently that's not the case. :muffins: The first two occurrences of the laughter are completely unnecessary, the punchline is the only thing that could be considered humorous. Or maybe no one told me about Windows 7 being the funniest thing ever.

• Brohoof 6

23 hours ago, Sky Serenade said:

agreed it never ends...

funny-tombstones-26-5bd9bfca46e0fb00514f86a3.jpg.6096e8b09f1b82e49771f0ed93cd2ab9.jpg

• Brohoof 3

4 minutes ago, Recherche Winkybunion said:

With the discussion of laugh tracks, I believe this video is relevant; it shows that the Big Band Theory is as funny as an elephant.

Hide contents

I find the very short snippets of laughter that weren’t removed for a few ‘jokes’ to actually be kind of funny. It’s like they thought it was funny for like a split second or so and then just went silent as if they were like ‘Wait. This isn’t funny at all.’

• Brohoof 2

Fans who complain that their favorite character isn't getting as much attention as the fan demands they should get, even when said character is the kind of person who simply wants to make sure that the day is saved over being a hero for the fame and glory.

For example, some people complaining the CMC didn't get to do much in the S8 Finale as they thought they would. Still, the CMC's efforts to distract Cozy Glow, allowing our other heroes to escape and get help were not in vain or pointless since the villain would have truly won otherwise. Even though they were locked in a closet, they were more concerned with wheter or not evil Cozy Glow has gotten away, rather than demand respect. They were so relived to hear Cozy's defeat back then. There's a reason we have the trope Small Role, Big Impact

A true hero shouldn't care about being famous. It's a nice bonus to be appreciated and get a medal and all, but a real hero puts the safety of others above their own selfish ego. 

• Brohoof 1

My current pet peeve: This ad I keep getting on YouTube for a business in my local area. That by itself isn’t a bad thing, but the dude speaking in the ad has the most emotionally dead way of talking, and it’s driving me insane. Particularly because every once I a while, YouTube decides it’s the ONLY ad it’s going to show me.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2

On 11/9/2019 at 6:12 PM, ShadOBabe said:

My current pet peeve: This ad I keep getting on YouTube for a business in my local area. That by itself isn’t a bad thing, but the dude speaking in the ad has the most emotionally dead way of talking, and it’s driving me insane. Particularly because every once I a while, YouTube decides it’s the ONLY ad it’s going to show me.

The fact that YouTube ads on being put in the middle of videos abruptly interrupting sentences in the video, especially ones that last for several minutes.

On 11/10/2019 at 3:51 PM, 碇 シンジン said:

when native english speaking people write some words the way they are pronounced instead of how they are actually supposed to be written

Care to give some examples?

• People telling you to do / not do something, then turning around and not-doing / doing exactly that. Example: "don't talk with food in your mouth, its not polite!", proceeds to start smacking their lips and talk with food in their mouth
  • Actually, make that pretty much anything to do with other people eating. I don't like seeing them put it in their mouth, don't wanna hear them chew, etc
  • The old-fashioned "motivation" method that some parents and/or people have of "your child isn't doing what they want you to do? threaten them with a deadline / take their stuff away!" Even if its a legitimate punishment if they're doing something bad, holding the threat over their head like that almost never makes them do what you want.
  • Simple jobs such as pushing carts at Walmart requiring years of experience to be accepted. Yes, I know you can just apply even if you don't have that, but considering how much me and a friend get turned down, it makes me wonder if they actually DO want that.
  • The general attitude of "Oh you're an adult now, you're not allowed to have fun or enjoy childish things anymore". I guess that doesn't really work as well as they think though, I mean, take a look at all the 30+ year olds in the brony fandom x3 but still, hate that "Grow the F up" mindset.

1 minute ago, fare67t said:
  • Simple jobs such as pushing carts at Walmart requiring years of experience to be accepted. Yes, I know you can just apply even if you don't have that, but considering how much me and a friend get turned down, it makes me wonder if they actually DO want that.
  • The general attitude of "Oh you're an adult now, you're not allowed to have fun or enjoy childish things anymore". I guess that doesn't really work as well as they think though, I mean, take a look at all the 30+ year olds in the brony fandom x3 but still, hate that "Grow the F up" mindset.

I agree with the first one. 

And as Walt Disney himself said when it comes to the Periphery Demographic trope of which Friendship is Magic is a huge example of:

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

• Brohoof 1