Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gallus' color

Cwanky

This isn't a big deal, but it has bothered me a bit. Of all the Young 6 characters, Gallus' appearance seems to bother me. It's not because he's the only male of the group, minus Sandbar. But his color scheme, while matching the Equestrian and FiM color scheme, contrasts with thel colors of the griffons:

271.png

If you look at all the griffon characters thus far, Gilda, Gustave, Gabby, Grandpa Gruff or any of the background griffons, they all possess a more natural and earthy appearance in color - shades of brown, white, beige, grey, black and other similar colors and hues. Griffons in lore are predatory and carnivorous, so it makes sense that they colors that resemble or correspond to those of predatory birds like eagles, falcons, hawks and owls.

Gallus by contrast, seems to notably go against this design. My theory is the animators and designers deliberately chose to give him a new style as part of a way to have the Young 6 stand out. I do find it interesting, though that Yona was kept a natural and earthy brown, like the yaks and real life yaks are. It may also be that Gallus was made to be a next generation version of Rainbow Dash, minus the rainbow. He can fly like she can, he has her laid back indifferent "cool" personality, he even has a very similar shade of cyan. If I didn't know any better, I would think the writers took that line about Rainbow Dash wanting to be a griffon several seasons back and Gallus was the egg that hatched from it:

I am probably overthinking this like an egghead, but I couldn't help but fixate on the designs of the Young 6, including Gallus.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that although Griffonstone no longer has a King, that Grandpa Gruff is it's defacto leader, possibly making Gallus an inheritor of that role. Destiny is a big factor in MLP, and with almost every land beyond equestria showing duller more earthy colors, perhaps it's a sign that Gallus will bring in a new era of friendship for his kind. The Griffons may be opening up to the idea, but he's the first to be fully engrossed in it. Future generations may also take on a colorful appearance as a sign of prosperity.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

What I hate about his color scheme is that it looks he is wearing a Wonderbolts uniform at all times. It always throws me off. 

Based on Gallus' limited interaction with Rainbow Dash and the whole "I thought you'd be cooler" line, I think the writers and animators are trying to make Gallus a homage to Rainbow Dash in the "new generation." If the cool laid back attitude and cyan color wasn't a dead giveaway, there's also the fact that he mentions that he learned about Rainbow via Gilda.

I don't mind Gallus as a character at all, and I would like to see his further development along with the other Young 6, but I do agree that his bright blue color throws me off too.

10 minutes ago, Cwanky said:

Based on Gallus' limited interaction with Rainbow Dash and the whole "I thought you'd be cooler" line, I think the writers and animators are trying to make Gallus a homage to Rainbow Dash in the "new generation." If the cool laid back attitude and cyan color wasn't a dead giveaway, there's also the fact that he mentions that he learned about Rainbow via Gilda.

I don't mind Gallus as a character at all, and I would like to see his further development along with the other Young 6, but I do agree that his bright blue color throws me off too.

that will be possible

Edited by Van123

• 1 year later...

It is true griffons in GriffonStone had more natural colors with the occasional shade of green and stuff, but some recurring background griffons during the  Equestria Games arc had more outlandish colors as well

• 3 years later...