Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Inappropriate ads

PiratePony

I saw a couple members mention strange banner ads for dating websites. I've noticed them now too. Considering that this is not a dating site, can't ads of this nature be blocked on your end? I know on websites I've owned the ad company I used had a list of allowable subjects. The other people who brought it up said it doesn't reflect their search history, and it doesn't for mine as well, so I guess it's reflective on what's being clicked on the site ...I know that means more dollars for Poniverse, but I think it would best follow the TOS of the site for these types of ads to be restricted.

• Brohoof 8

Yeah, I’ve seen those ads too. And doesn’t the site have a policy about no risqué things on it? Obviously no NSFW stuff, but might this qualify? It definitely does not reflect my search history. 

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I came across one as well this morning. It said something to the effect of "Date Chinese Women!" I really should have gotten a screenshot, but I didn't manage to. :pout:

Yes, though; I'm behind these being restricted on the Forums. :pout: As long as their revenue isn't seriously damaged, I think it's for the best,

Edited by Recherche
  • Brohoof 2

Pshhhttttt, you all just need to use Adblock, that's what I use so I almost never get any Ads anyplace now, whether it be YouTube or here on the forums. But I suppose if the Ads are a little controversial for those who don't use Adblock, then yes I would say that the website should look at getting stricter rules in place or enact rules already in place about those Ads :proud:

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, King of Canterlot said:

Pshhhttttt, you all just need to use Adblock, that's what I use so I almost never get any Ads anyplace now, whether it be YouTube or here on the forums. But I suppose if the Ads are a little controversial for those who don't use Adblock, then yes I would say that the website should look at getting stricter rules in place or enact rules already in place about those Ads :proud:

I use adblok, I just don't use it on here or YouTube 

• Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

I want to support the website - as long as they follow their own rules, of course. 

• Brohoof 4

Just now, Sherbert Music-Guard said:

I use adblok, I just don't use it on here or YouTube 

Why on earth would you not use it on YouTube? It's almost impossible to watch any video on there without getting a dumb 30-second Ad before it, that's pretty much why I got Adblock in the first place because I was getting so fed up with getting Ads before my videos :baconmane:

Just now, King of Canterlot said:

Why on earth would you not use it on YouTube? It's almost impossible to watch any video on there without getting a dumb 30-second Ad before it, that's pretty much why I got Adblock in the first place because I was getting so fed up with getting Ads before my videos :baconmane:

I want to support my favorite creators since the adpocolipse

• Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, PiratePony said:

Here's one - speak of the devil

Screenshot_20180428-191507.png

.......... That's really weird. I think lately MLP Forums has had some issue with the Ad's that appear on their site, I know for while on the mobile version of the site there were these pop-up redirect Ads that would redirect you to the Ad site without you even clicking on anything, and then it would be all like "You've just won, claim your prize!"- clearly a scam Ad. I don't know if those kinda Ads are still a problem on the mobile version, but it's just odd that the site has been having these Ad problems lately :huh:  

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, King of Canterlot said:

It's possible that they have ad block, but they have this site and other sites as exceptions because ads generate revenue for the sites and thus allow them to keep running. Otherwise, a lot of sites would have pay-to-access sections in order to keep them afloat.

I do hate dating site ads, they keep reminding me I'm single lol

but seriously they don't reflect my history

though I don't use adblocker so that the YouTubers I watch get the revenue

Edited by kaiser5578

I have seen many inappropriate ads along with stuff for dating sites, and I totally agree the forum staff should figure out a way to block these. I've seen a few scam one's saying stuff like "click here to get a free iPhone!"

People might start clicking these ads thinking it's real and MLP Forums will be to blame when parents start to find stuff like a $2,000,000 charge to a random website on their credit card.

• Brohoof 2

I use Adblock as well (was trying to not use it, but ads have crossed the line), but I also want to support the site, so this is the only place where I have it disabled.

Personally I can't complain on ads, as I haven't seen any weird ones since the last time I mentioned annoying ads with sounds, which was months and months ago.

@PiratePony Both images with ads you've posted come from Google. Google usually throws ads related to your past/recent activity, so if you'll visit an online shop, you'll immediately be getting its offers in ads. Of course I'm not saying, that you were visiting sites like this- there could be something else causing it, such as sites redirecting to ads in order to download something, for example. These tend to throw really nasty ads and once you visit one, Google may remember that information and then show similar ads further - like a spreading virus. When it comes to ads thrown by Google, you can click the [ X ] button in the top-right corner and then click 'Stop seeing this ad'. Yell at them by selecting the reason of why you don't want to see these anymore and eventually it should stop showing these nasty ads from that category. It may take few tries, but it should work. Additionally try visiting random online shops with ponies, toys or whatever- that should make these appear next after some time. :derp: 

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that should work. I was marking some ads as inappropriate in the past and since then I didn't see any nasty ones so far. :P 

Also one of my recent status updates could be used as an example
https://mlpforums.com/profile/38649-rikifive/?status=874973&type=status

I was searching for that thingie, bought one and I keep getting this ad to this day - literally it's still there at the bottom. :muffins: 

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 1

I have AdBlock off on this website since I want to support it as much as I can, but I have also been getting a lot of somewhat inappropriate ads trying to convince me to go to various dating websites usually, some more suggestive than others based on the contents of the ads.

Yeah, I don't really use Adblock on here either. I can't donate, so this is the best way I can support the site.

Nothing like that for me.

Spoiler

5ae57262b77d4_mlpforumsad.thumb.png.c0eb2cd62eefd87728ee71238ba89e15.png

5ae57278cc6e9_mlpforumsad2.png.f8a29e100049b18c9aea11848d700e88.png

5ae572990ccfa_mlpforumsad3.png.6834cb2303afd783ab1066c9de60653b.png

I've never looked any of these up though so they seem pretty random. The only regulars I get are some hat shop I, electric bikes, and soylent but I actually looked those up at some point and I don't see them here. Don't normally scroll to the very bottom of the age so maybe that's why. I had a fourth ad as well but it was just for square space.