Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Places to discuss/share general writing tips/thoughts?

tm2dragon

Hello all!  Sorry in advance, as I'm a bit long-winded, but I hope you stick around long enough to read my full question. ( ;  Also, apologies for the sloppy formatting.  I'm actually quite good at it normally, but this interface is being difficult with me; for some reason hitting the enter key DELETES the previous paragraph, and trying to add formatting (such as bold or italics) to a highlighted section instead alters the entire paragraph.  Don't ask me why the Enter key worked correctly the first few times I hit it, cause I have no freaking idea. ><  Anyways, onto the heart of the matter!

I've been away from active online-socializing for quite a while, and I'm still struggling to get back into the flow of things.  There have been a quite a few hiccups along the way (turns out Aspergers applies to ANY kind of social interaction, in person or online...who knew?), but I think I've figured a few things out.  See, most of my forum posts on various sites have been me asking for advice, requesting help or information in one way or another.  It's become clear that what I REALLY need to start doing is to come at this from the other direction; I need to GIVE something to online communities, rather than take.  Sadly, I have very few skills to offer. In fact, only two really come to mind!  First, I'm very much a thinker, and am decently skilled at getting my thoughts across (likely DUE to my long-windedness).  Second, I've got a very good grasp on media and analysis (what works, what doesn't, the places where an artist excels, and the things holding them back), so can probably offer some helpful thoughts and tips on various subjects, even though I can't put that knowledge into practice on my own.  SO!  I think the best way for me to contribute, especially in a fandom so focused on artist endeavors like this one, is to find a place where I can share and discuss various ideas, tips, tropes, critiques, and other aspects of art...most specifically, writing (the one artistic field I don't COMPLETELY suck at)!  Unfortunately, I've had trouble finding the right place to do so; I've found a few spots on this site where people can share and discuss specific artistic works and fanfiction, but not any where they can offer advice or assistance, or discuss the craft and the work that goes into it.  Is there a sub-forum I missed for such topics?  If not, (and I know this is a bit of a forum faux pas), can anyone suggest another active site with a large community where I could help contribute in this way?  I also wouldn't mind discussing the artistic aspects of other forms of media, such as animation, drawing, game mods, etc.  Thanks for reading, and for any suggestions you can offer!

1 hour ago, ShadOBabe said:

I believe this might be what you're looking for...

https://mlpforums.com/forum/195-ak-yearlings-writing-resources/

I did manage to find that actually! ^^  It was a good start, but seemed a bit limited when it came to starting long-term discussions.  Threads rarely seemed to be more than 4 posts long, so the social and discussion aspects didn't seem to be quite what I was looking for. ^_^;  I also wasn't sure how well it accepted discussion of fanfiction outside the MLP fandom (seriously, fanfic recommendation threads are AMAZING, and finding an active forum that offers them is one in a million!).  Still, while it's not quite what I was looking for, but it DOES look like a place where I could at least contribute something to our community. (:  Thanks for sharing, I'll be sure to give it a shot!

• Brohoof 1

• The topic was locked