Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

can deer ponies get a cutie mark?

sherri

7 minutes ago, Recherche said:

If it's a hybrid, maybe, but I don't think I've seen any other creatures aside from ponies attain them. If it's just a deer, I don't think it can get one. :huh:

she's got a horn :twi:

2 hours ago, autumn rhythm said:

she's got a horn :twi:

Like I said; if it's a hybrid, then it most likely can get one. If it were just a standard deer, though, I don't think it could attain one. :)

It would have to be based on how much 'pony' is in her; I guess you could say. Outside of griffins & hippogriffs; we haven't seen any actual hybrids in the show or comics, so...it is really difficult to give a yes or no answer.

I think it depends on if you want your character to inherit the ability to attain a cutie mark. When it comes to hybrids, many features seem to overwrite each other, as you can see with the hippogriffs, which bear a strong resemblance to ponies, yet, don't have cutie marks.

I think the real question is how much of a hybrid is she?

Is she a pony in her core, who has inherited deer traits? Then she should be able to gain a cutie mark. Except if that trait was somehow destroyed or damaged but that's for you to decide.
Is she a true hybrid, meaning that there was alot of mixing going on? Because then she might be able to get a cutie mark, depending on how the mixing went.
Is she a deer in her core, who has inherited pony traits? Because then i feel like her being able to get a cutie mark should be very unlikely, BUT POSSIBLE! I mean, what if that trait somehow made it through?

Short answer: The more pony she is, the more likely she's able to get a cutie mark.

images.png.da5e514586e5ec3bd18283129a8b0f8f.png

Something about that glazed expression tells me no.

However your creation is a crossbreed that's not canon to the show, so you can do whatever you want.

As for trying to determine if a future crossbreed could ever have a cutie mark in the show, I'd still say no. We've been introduced to a fair number of sentient species now, and the only other species to be seen with a cutie mark is Zecora the zebra. The horses from Saddle Arabia, Cranky and Matilda the donkeys, Mulia Mild and that random Mule that made an appearance in season 1 episode 4, and season 3 episode 4, are all Equines that don't have cutie marks despite their close relation. That Mule was actually the first crossbreed we ever saw in the show, arguably followed by Gilda the Griffon in the next episode, though I'm not sure Griffons count as a true crossbreed, because although they are half lion and half eagle, I couldn't find an origin myth as you can for Hippogriffs, Minotaurs, and Centaurs, all of which are also in the show. I think this is because they're viewed so highly, being called the King of all creatures, they've always thought to have been around, or because they're so ancient that their origin has been lost to time. Anyways, none of the confirmed hybrid species have cutie marks, and with there being non hybrid species without cutie marks too, I think chances are slim.

• 3 years later...

My OC is part deer, but he doesn't have a cutie mark. That's because he's special, as he's also part batpony. Which brings up the question. can bat-ponies get a cutie-mark? Or how about kirin? I think anypony/anycreature can have a purpose in life, but there doesn't need to be a symbol of that purpose such as the ones ponies have.