Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Earth and Pegasus villain before the series ends?

ManaMinori

4 hours ago, Soren Peregrine said:

An Earth Pony/Pegasi that is physically not very strong, but is a mastermind with crazy good plans and plots that has minions that do their work for them while they avoid being caught. Does that sound plausible?

with all fancy magic, an antagonist that relies on brains would be a nice change of pace...

Spoiler

it may still involve magic in some way however, despite Cozy Glow being revealed to be a pegasus

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

Luckily we did get a pegasus villain by the end of the series: Cozy Glow. Although, she's the manipulative kind of villain, not the physically threatening one. I would've loved to see a pegasus villain who could use the weather to their advantage. Or maybe an earth pony who forms a revolution. I definitely think there are many ways which the show could've made an earth pony or pegasus villain.

Now, there are reasons why they refrained from this for so long. The main one is that unicorns are the most powerful of the three. The show really didn't do a good job at balancing unicorns. They are practically limitless and their magic can basically be used as a Deus ex Machina. Therefor, their magic has tons of potential; unfortunately more so than pegasi and earth ponies. In turn, this just makes the villains more powerful and intimidating.

Then there's the fact that magic leads one to be easily corrupted. Having active magic is really useful, although it does mean that they are vulnerable to corruption. Earth ponies and pegasi don't have this same vulnerability due to having passive magic.

Lastly is the sad, but truthful fact that the show had a favoritism towards unicorns. Not only were so many villains unicorns, but most of the focus was on unicorns in general. Outside of the mane six, there just aren't as many prominent earth ponies and pegasi when compared to unicorns. Not only that, but unicorns were often put into great and powerful positions, whereas the others were kinda just side-helpers. So although there are reasons for the lack of EP and Pegasus villains, I still think think they have great villainous potential.

• Brohoof 5

On 9/23/2020 at 5:22 AM, Landi72 said:

Luckily we did get a pegasus villain by the end of the series: Cozy Glow. Although, she's the manipulative kind of villain, not the physically threatening one. I would've loved to see a pegasus villain who could use the weather to their advantage. Or maybe an earth pony who forms a revolution. I definitely think there are many ways which the show could've made an earth pony or pegasus villain.

Yeah I would have liked to see that as well, maybe they could have made tempest an earth pony instead of a unicorn(an earth pony with physical strength and great fighting capabilities?). Maybe make an earth pony control wild life(like gloriosa). I hope if in G5 there are pony races than that they nerf the unicorn so we can have a balanced field.

If we take out the big bads, the show had some earth pony and pegasus antagonists though, like: Lightning Dust, Suri Polomare, Dr. Caballeron, Wind Rider, Diamond Tiara and some others.

And yeah cozy was a nice addition to the big bads, and if she was portrayed as a teenager or adult she would definitely be one of the most liked villains by far, maybe even the most beloved above cheese legs(or discord when he was a villain).

Edited by Rushing cash
  • Brohoof 1

I would have liked that Stygian were an earth pony. He didn't needed to be a unicorn and it would have tied very nice to my theory that earth ponies are more attuned to nature and the supernatural world, and that's how he could invoke the pony of shadows in some way without magic since he doesn't seem to have magic as far as I know. But that will have to stay as headcanon. 

• Brohoof 1