Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

news Boy Scouts Of America No Longer Just For Boys

Denim&Venöm

Next year, the Boy Scouts of america will drop the 'boy' part and be all inclusive. 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/02/boy-scouts-to-change-name-drop-boy-and-accept-girls-in-2019-organization-says.html

What do you all think? Any pony here a fellow scout? What's your take? 

What about any girl scouts? What's your take on the former boy scouts now recruiting girls? 

Pic related. 

ginger_snap_by_thatguy1945-d5sxhzp.png

(edited)

Editting cause I formed an opinion.

I personally think that it's not good. It's an age old tradition crushed by a bunch of people trying to feel special.

Edited by Lucid_Nightlight
  • Brohoof 7

I don't really care. I was a Boy Scout a few years ago, but I dropped out of the program because it wasn't all what I had imagined it to be.............

Anyways, they can do what they want to do, it is sad though to see them change their name after 108 years of being ya know, the "Boy scouts", but again, it's not really my decision, they can do what they want.

It's about fucking time. I been a member of the swedish scouts since I was 8 and not once has the fact that it was mix of both genders had a negative effect on my experience, so I doubt that this is going to ruin scouting for anyone.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I mean if they are going to include girls, then they should drop the "Boy" from the name and just have it be "The Scouts."

If they plan on keeping the name, they need to keep it as it was. Otherwise, it just doesn't make any sense. Now I am all for them letting in Trans boys, that's completely fine, because well...they're boys...so it all stays the same. 

Edited by Memento Mori

(edited)

It all depends tbh. If they keep the Boy Scouts exactly the same, but just allow girls, it could be a good thing because the values taught in the BSA are the polar opposite of the values espoused by thots.

But if it follows the same formula of "inclusion and diversity" that we've seen develop over the years, then it's going to be ruined for everyone for all time and I'm going to be upset. This on top of the fact that worried soccer moms have been slowly tearing away at the program for the better part of 20 years now. It's getting easier and easier to earn merit badges and advance in rank, and it doesn't appear to be slowing down anytime soon.

Edited by Twiggy
  • Brohoof 4

I had a friend or two in the scouts. I always wanted to join but my mother said no because she didn't want to support an organization that was anti-gay.

I remember first hearing about this about 6 months ago I think. Initially I was against the idea. There's a lot of history and tradition to be upheld, and as it's own organization that had a specific demographic, I felt they had the right to say no and not expand it. And then I thought of what came to mind when I thought of them. When I hear boy scout, I picture the uniform, camping trips, learning survival skills, team work, organization, and patriotism. When I hear girl scout, I think of a little girl who looks like she's been dragged out into the rainy weather to stand outside of a grocery store to sell cookies, and despite the badges, trips, and maybe prizes, it still came off as a form of child labor. I don't know much about either group, but I think there's a reason those are the mental images I have for a reason. If I have a daughter someday and she'd like to be a scout, I want her to have the better experience.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Recherche said:

My opinion on this? I'll be blunt.

Hide contents

giphy.gif

I agree. What's sad is this is going to be a serious blow to the Girl Scouts of America, who already have declining numbers. I think the two organizations should have teamed up to decide how to influence each other.

There's something to be said about boys having an experience doingly manly things as a right of passage, and vice versa for Girls. Not that GS shouldn't change tires, tie knots, camp, and do other "manly" things, quite the opposite. I wish I stuck in Boy Scouts so I could relate to other men better. I've learned more about manhood in my 30s than my teens and 20s.

• Brohoof 3

I'm cool with it but now that the boy scouts are just 'scouts' what's the need for Girl Scouts of America? I mean sure they still have their cookies but that's just about it, am i wrong?

1 hour ago, Pr0m4NV14 said:

They should drop the ‘Scout’ part and let all nine classes be able to join too.

i see your reference and bird hoovy approves of it. Gabe N. would be proud.

Inb4 renamed to People Scouts

96868117_117382407dbcbe.jpg.068cc1d397a40938068362734fa6f545.jpg

Anyhow, there are times when genders should be separated. Looking at you army and your equipment load. But I don't see many changes for such an organization.

I don't see any problem with this at all. However, I still don't have much respect for the organization. Contrary to popular belief in this topic, this is not a group following any cutting edge trend of being inclusive (which I don't understand how in the world that would be a bad thing at all to begin with), it is a group that pretty much only makes any changes when popular opinion will put it in danger if they don't do something to make themselves look better.

• Brohoof 1

I dont like it. They are ruining the boy scouts. Now I'm not or ever have been a scout but I know some and they think that doing this would really destroy it's tradition and some of it's values. Not everything needs to be/shouldn't be "all inclusive" if you will. Like public bathrooms and sports locker rooms. The girls have the girl scouts and the boys have the boy scouts. Why would they need merge? 

• Brohoof 1

It’s stupid. And unless they are disbanding the Girl Scouts, and just making it all “The Scouts”, it’s also pretty misandrist. After all, if you’re getting rid of Boy Scouts, but keeping Girl Scouts, you’re implicitly saying that girls have the right to exclusivity, but boys do not. And that is BS.

I suppose if it was all just turned into The Scouts, it could possibly work. It might be kind of cute to see the boys and the girls selling chocolate AND cookies at the same table.

But I would much rather it just remain the way it was. As long as you make it clear to kids through teaching that all humans being are equal in worth, there’s nothing wrong with having male exclusive and female exclusive gatherings. Camaraderie with other people of the same sex doesn’t automatically equal prejudice or superiority.

• Brohoof 5

I'm going to apply for Girl Scouts, I will tell you what they say in response when they respond.

10 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

It’s stupid. And unless they are disbanding the Girl Scouts, and just making it all “The Scouts”, it’s also pretty misandrist. After all, if you’re getting rid of Boy Scouts, but keeping Girl Scouts, you’re implicitly saying that girls have the right to exclusivity, but boys do not. And that is BS.

Time to become a masculinist so I can fight for male rights.

Spoiler

Don't take me seriously, I am just joking. 

• Brohoof 1

41 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

I suppose if it was all just turned into The Scouts, it could possibly work. It might be kind of cute to see the boys and the girls selling chocolate AND cookies at the same table.

But I would much rather it just remain the way it was. As long as you make it clear to kids through teaching that all humans being are equal in worth, there’s nothing wrong with having male exclusive and female exclusive gatherings. Camaraderie with other people of the same sex doesn’t automatically equal prejudice or superiority.

Exactly

• Brohoof 1

I have heard the argument that the Girl's Scouts aren't at all comparable to the Boy's Scouts and are basically glorified cookie salespeople and that's why young girls should be allowed to join the Boy's Scouts and just change the name. If they're going to allow cooed activities in 'The Scouts' then the fair thing would be to get rid of Girl's Scouts and maintain the same expectations in 'The Scouts', otherwise I would want an explanation as to why the Girl's Scouts are so useless for young girls.

Inclusivity doesn't mean uprooting age-old traditions so radical progressives can continue to blur the lines however they like. I'm not... too familiar with the American scouts but it sounds like nonsense to me. The argument of 'Well our country's been doing it for X many years' is a strawman as well, that doesn't have any bearing on whether it's right or wrong based on anyone's experience unless they've experienced it both ways.

I think my opinion is pretty clear. I don't really support it as it stands. It would have been much better to simply improve the Girl's Scouts' curriculum to something useful instead of burning the candle at both ends.

Can't say that I care. Just another day of America losing its shit over things that do not matter. Don't we all have something better to do? Like worshipping celebrities or something? Getting into medical debt is also a good American past time, we should be doing that, not going crazy that *gasp* boys and girls can be in the same organization.

I think it's an idiotic idea. Why would a girl even want to join the Boy Scouts? That's why we have Girl Scouts. One isn't any more exceptional than the other. They both teach useful skills, and those skills don't always apply the same way to both sexes. I don't care how the world wants to turn everyone into one big nameless, sexless generic mess, both genders are NOT the same. Trying to meld it all into one 'Scouts' is just window dressing and serves no purpose. 

• Brohoof 1