Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What do you eat when you are sick?

Feather Data

I haven't been really sick in years, when I get a little bit of a cold I notice that I'm more willing to try new recipes.  It makes me feel better trying something new, especially if I make it myself(compared to going out for takeout) but sometimes I like going out to get some poutine.  Last time I was really sick was when I had to get my gallbladder removed, at that time, I couldn't really eat anything because it would trigger a lot of pain.  So I would normally eat a lot of quinoa because everything else made me sick.  To be honest, I'll be happy to never see a plate with quinoa on it served to me ever again...

13 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I had a gauze pack on it for hours, but that was making me feel ill. I don't like holding things in my mouth like that. I thought the bleeding was done when I finally took it out. I feel okay now. I hope I'm never sick like that again! The dentist told me to eat only "mushy" things for a few days. He said mashed potatoes, oatmeal, noodles, things like that. I just had some soup, and that went down well. I'll try some scrambled eggs in the morning.

I know, right. I nearly gagged on what I assumed is my own saliva at times. And I had to swap for a fresh gauze about every 30 minutes. Still, I got through it and so will you.

I don't really eat anything in particular apart from soup like most seem to. I also drink Gatorade a lot

1 hour ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

I know, right. I nearly gagged on what I assumed is my own saliva at times. And I had to swap for a fresh gauze about every 30 minutes. Still, I got through it and so will you.

Yup, I'll make it. It still doesn't hurt, thankfully. I have some pain medication, but so far I don't need it. I'm worried about "Dry Socket" though. I hope being sick last night didn't mess things up. Time will tell. I plan on going to the dentist (or at least calling) to see if he thinks I need to come back in.

Usually I don't eat if I'm sick, it depends on what i'm sick with. Reason why... well I don't like vomiting, like it legit terrifies me because I have a tendency to panic if I cannot breath. So to prevent it the best I can I don't eat anything when sick.

When I'm sick, my mom usually makes me grilled cheese with chicken noodle soup. I don't really have much of an appetite when I'm sick, so I pretty much only eat once a day, I can't ever seem to finish two meals when I'm sick without feeling like I'm gonna explode :blink:  

It largely depends on the character of the illness. If I'm having stomach problems I go with Saltines and 7-Up and very little else. If I have a regular cold I like comfort food like a poached egg on toast. Light broth soups like chicken noodle are okay too. 

• Brohoof 1

If the sickness induces throwing up, I refuse to eat anything. If it's something mild like a cold or a fever though I'll just stick to my normal eating habits, except that there shall be more Burana.

15 hours ago, Snow Frostflame said:

Usually I don't eat if I'm sick, it depends on what i'm sick with. Reason why... well I don't like vomiting, like it legit terrifies me because I have a tendency to panic if I cannot breath. So to prevent it the best I can I don't eat anything when sick.

That will make it a lot harder to recover

Depends on what I'm sick with. The cold or flu, I usually just have soups and orange juice. Don't really deviate from what I normally eat. Just more vitamin C & electrolytes and avoid dairy. 

Stomach flu, nausea or food poisoning on the other hand, I refrain from everything except saltine crackers, bread and bananas. 

• 6 months later...

If I have a bad cough, then I eat pineapple and drink strawberry milkshake. It seems to keep it in check for a good couple or so hours and helps to clear it up faster. As for the rest of the cold symptoms, I always find spicy food helps me out. Also rice coated in salt and vinegar. Fortunately, I never vomit when I'm ill. Otherwise, I'm sure some of the stuff I have would be a nightmare coming back up. :laugh:

• 4 months later...