Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler G5: How do you feel about the idea of the Mane 6 being replaced as the main characters

heavens-champion

(edited)

I would like to see them live on but at the same time I want something new. Maybe the story could be after the Mane 6 retire and their students have to take their place. Maybe that’s too generic. I just hope they don’t change the animation style too much.

Edited by Sliding Bolt
  • Brohoof 7

I wouldn't mind if they were the same characters. But if the leaks are correct, it apears they're going to be drastically altered. If THAT'S the case, I wish they'd just go ahead and make entirely new characters, rather than radically change the ones we already love.

• Brohoof 10

As far as I know, the mane six will still be the main characters of the new generation, but with different designs and with slightly different personalities (at least for Applejack) I don't think they would replace the mane six with different ponies because the whole MLP franchise for the past ten years has been built off the mane six, they're basically the face of the MLP franchise at this point. It wouldn't make sense from a marketing standpoint to replace the existing characters with all new ones because there's nothing wrong with the original characters, and they could see a sales drop because the main face of their franchise would have been wiped clean, meaning they would have to rebuild all that brand recognition that they've created over the past ten years the FIM show has been on. Not to mention they wouldn't want to possibly loose their trademark on the characters and their names, which did happen to a few ponies when they were rebooting the franchise to create MLP:FIM :sealed:

• Brohoof 5

1 hour ago, ShadOBabe said:

I wouldn't mind if they were the same characters. But if the leaks are correct, it apears they're going to be drastically altered. If THAT'S the case, I wish they'd just go ahead and make entirely new characters, rather than radically change the ones we already love.

My thoughts exactly. Having the same characters but changing them to something else would be really weird to watch. That would also lead to inevitable comparisons to FIM – most likely not in the favor of G5.

Introducing new characters would really make a lot more sense. I know they've recycled character names (and color schemes) in the previous generations but it's not exactly the same situation. Firstly, G4 has been more popular than the previous generations (at least when it comes to the animated series). Secondly, they have never done this with the entire cast. Of the Core 7 in G3, only two became part of the Mane 6 in G4 (three others became secondary characters, one appeared in just a single episode and one has never appeared in the series).

1 hour ago, Sliding Bolt said:

I would like to see them live on but at the same time I want something new. Maybe the story could be after the Mane 6 retire and their students have to take their place. Maybe that’s too generic. I just hope they don’t change the animation style too much.

I think this is a great idea. It would make it possible for them to introduce a lot of new elements in the series but keep a sense of continuity with G4 – preserving the FIM universe and obviously still allowing the Mane 6 to make occasional appearances.

• Brohoof 8

I want to see completely new characters. G5 is a new show, it should really be a new show and not just a rehash of the old. Wipe the existing stuff away and lets start with a clean slate, please.

• Brohoof 8

I’d prefer it to be either the same mane six once again, but very similar to their g4 versions, or completely new characters. I don’t want the ponies we know and love to be changed so much that they aren’t recognizable. ;) 

• Brohoof 4

I'd rather this generation gets wrapped up nicely and the new generation is completely separate to it. A few easter eggs here and there would be fine, but I want the show to be completely new and unique, including the characters.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

It’s not that big of a deal, they do this all the time with their other franchises like Transformers and GI Joe , the only difference is that this is somehow new for bronies 

Edited by Whomps
  • Brohoof 2

They always change the Core characters every generation. However, they kept Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash.

They should at least keep Pinkie Pie, but other than that, change most of the other Mane Six.

• Brohoof 1

This is not one of those "Muh Time Skip Mane 6 comprised of G4 characters I like" thread. I'm impressed OP.

I don't care as long as they are better ponies with better stories in a better world that doesn't revolve around them. H-Bro, on the other appendage, does care about recognition so we'll likely get Mane 6 minus AJ. And keep your SJW bullshit out of Pony.

• Brohoof 1

I'd personally find it a welcome change. It'd be interesting to see some new main characters after seasons and seasons of the same ones. :grin:

15 hours ago, King of Canterlot said:

As far as I know, the mane six will still be the main characters of the new generation, but with different designs and with slightly different personalities (at least for Applejack) I don't think they would replace the mane six with different ponies because the whole MLP franchise for the past ten years has been built off the mane six, they're basically the face of the MLP franchise at this point. It wouldn't make sense from a marketing standpoint to replace the existing characters with all new ones because there's nothing wrong with the original characters, and they could see a sales drop because the main face of their franchise would have been wiped clean, meaning they would have to rebuild all that brand recognition that they've created over the past ten years the FIM show has been on. Not to mention they wouldn't want to possibly loose their trademark on the characters and their names, which did happen to a few ponies when they were rebooting the franchise to create MLP:FIM :sealed:

I don't think the trademark will pose any problem, and certainly Hasbro won't lose the trademark just because they won't be used as the main characters. Also, the marketing argument makes sense, however, I'm not sure if it'll hold up forever. You see, everything gets stale, and while we all love the Mane6, prolonged exposure of their toys may decline sales in the long run.

I support having new main characters in the next show, as MLP may need new faces, plus there's a chance said show will be a spinoff  :squee:

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I'm approaching this as a new show entirely so I have no opinion on this whatsoever. 

I am actually hoping this is the case - a completely clean start, rather than a reboot. that would be horrible and twisted....

2 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

I am actually hoping this is the case - a completely clean start, rather than a reboot. that would be horrible and twisted....

Even as a reboot I'd probably approach it as a fresh new thing; if the characters are reimagined, might as well recognize them as different characters. 

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Even as a reboot I'd probably approach it as a fresh new thing; if the characters are reimagined, might as well recognize them as different characters. 

I remember seeing some concept art posted to EqD though of a sorta "descendents" version - the foals of the Mane 6.

1 hour ago, CypherHoof said:

I remember seeing some concept art posted to EqD though of a sorta "descendents" version - the foals of the Mane 6.

I'll see when it finally airs. 

I've always said they can't just throw away nearly 10 years of lore and world building. I'd welcome this show taking a leaf from Korra or the newest series of Samurai Jack where it takes us into the future with new leads advancing what we already have to force new things to come to the forefront. Why spend all this time giving us younger characters if you never plan on allowing them to physically grow? We need to see what happens to the CMC's, the Student Six, the Schoolhouse Ponies, The Pie Twins and Flurry Heart and how their role has changed, how Equestria has been altered and what has happened to the characters we love and keep us guessing as it goes on (if a Mane Six VA doesn't want to come back for G5, ensure a story-reason is given for their absence, either ephemeral or permanent death). Hell, throw in some brand new characters to spice things up and really make it worth the time.

The idea of changing the species of the Mane Six just to keep that merchandise flowing is pointless... especially if it rewrites continuity that's been nailed into the ground... what would be the point of creating all of this if you'd just chuck it away? I'm fine with the Mane Six being replaced... hell it's what's necessary for the world that has been created and episodes in the future, but only by characters within the G4 world that have potential to become something. Gen 5 HAS to be that to make some logical sense... not something brand new from the ground up that jumbles and confuses people.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not a big fan of the whole new reboot thing :/ I would really hate to see the chracters we know and love be drastically changed or the world that we know so well to be changed. If anything, insead of another reboot with brand new characters (or altered characters) we should just get a next gen version. Like what they have done with shows like Full House, That's So Raven, Boy Meets World, Rugrats, and a few others I don't remember. We should still see the mane six in the show, but it should be about their kids. I also wouldn't object to upping the animation or changing the style.

• Brohoof 2