Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler G5: How do you feel about the idea of the Mane 6 being replaced as the main characters

heavens-champion

I really wouldn't mind G5 being a brand new story focusing on brand new characters. I feel G4 is getting close to wrapping up its story and the stories of the current main cast well enough. I also feel there's enough rehashing of the old in today's entertainment market, and while I do agree that some callbacks and cameos of the old cast could be cool in G5, I think I'm growing to be more interested in seeing a new story with new characters.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Personaly i'd like to see a new cast.but in the same world.maybe about 100 years in the future.and have the mane 6 as old legends.kinda like starswirl was for g4.maybe even have the fillies as old ladies telling those stories(as background characters)

Edited by Lord Valtasar
  • Brohoof 1

On 5/8/2018 at 4:53 PM, TBD said:

Everything but the style should be new.

No, they should have a new style as well. I'd like if the series was in the movie style. 

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Lord Valtasar said:

Personaly i'd like to see a new cast.but in the same world.maybe about 100 years in the future.and have the mane 6 as old legends.kinda like starswirl was for g4.maybe even have the fillies as old ladies telling those stories(as background characters)

I'd rather have much less time passed, about 5 years or so. One of the main characters idolizes the Mane6 and his/her goal in life is follow their footsteps. I think it'll be more interesting following the world from the eyes of newcomers. Besides, I think EG will keep going along side the upcoming new show

I'd be fine with it I've seen too many reboots where they try to reuse a character but change their personality and it just doesn't work. It doesn't work that well when they keep the personality and change the character design (I'm looking at you Galvatron and jet fighter Megatron). I would mind seeing Twilight and the others in the background but if they have to end Gen4 then best to go with a full clean slate. They can still show the old series for fans and it'll give them a lower but still present toy sale plus the new series. However if they give Twilight and the others new personalities but keep the design I can easily see a lot Gen4 fans simply having nothing to do with the new series because of what it did to their favorite. Plus from a marketing perspectives rather than buying the new Applejack doll they just give the kids their old one so lower sales there.

• Brohoof 1

I dont know, when i like something i like it as is. Nothing more nothing less. I mean, im still trying to adjust to Starlight Glimmer....and she was introduced back when i watched the show religiously.
On the one hoof(get it....hoof), The Mane 6 had their story. Now, id like to see it continue; but at a certain point any show will feel jaded when it runs for a long time. Soon it'll go down in quality, or they add so much stuff to try and revamp the hype it becomes some weird experimental version of the original.

However, i am slow to warm up to new stuff. Seeing the mane 6 replaced would be like seeing Pikachu replaced as the Pokemon Mascot.

(edited)

I'd really like for the new show to be completely unconnected to "Friendship is Magic" in every way; new story, new world, new animation style. But, I want a mix of some new characters... and a lot of characters from previous generations (including Gen 4!) re-imagined with updated looks and personality. Why? Because that's the way MLP has always been. None of the Mane 6 are original to FIM, they were all borrowed from previous generations. Some were drastically different from their predecessors, others were an amalgamation of various ponies that had come before (like Pinkie Pie being a combination of G3 Pinkie and G1 Surprise). It would also be a great way for Hasbro to bring back some fan-favorite G1 and G3 characters. Personally, I'd love to see a new Sunny Daze make an appearance in the Gen 5 show. 

Also, for everyone who is complaining about Twilight being an earth pony instead of unicorn/alicorn, remember that Fluttershy was a pink earth pony in G3 and an earth pony with a completely different name in G1! Change is nothing new to MLP; it's like the Doctor Who fandom -- you just have to give the new generation a chance. :)

Mostly, I'm just excited to see what the new toys will be like. "Friendship is Magic" was a great show which I loved a lot, but most of the toys stink compared to previous generations. 

Edited by sci-fi-pony
  • Brohoof 3

I am alright with it. Tbh it would be nice if they made a new main cast for g5 instead of trying to rehash the g4 mane six. It would just feel weird and unwarranted plus it gives them more opportunity to introduce ponies from previous generations in a new light which could then become the main cast. I would love a show where they bring back ponies from my little pony n’ friends and use some of them as the main cast and then use various others we have seen for the rest of the show within their own contexts. Overall I don’t want them to use the g4 cast for g5 and I look forward to g5 in general!

• Brohoof 3

• 2 years later...

Here is the thing:

It is nothing to do with the characters, but it gets difficult to write stories when you have explored every angle of a character. And if you write the same story twice you get blamed for copying someone's work, and if you change the character to fit the story, you get blamed for doing "out of character" stories.

Let a new crew in, and start the standard "Ticket Master" kind of episodes all over again! Solves everypony's problems.... Except I have seen this done in reboots and other shows so much that I don't find the energy to watch them. It needs to have something new!

• Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...

I hope that with the shift away from the Mane Six finally being a permanent thing, the series will be less laser-focused on one specific set of ponies and instead explore many characters, so I'm actually quite glad we've moved past them (despite absolutely loving the Mane Six!). I REALLY hope G5 tries to expand the universe without constantly having to use the same characters as a vehicle, and I honestly think going back to previous gens way of having small episodes that focus on different ponies might be fun to go back to, as long as they don't also go back to the less than stellar storytelling of pre-G4 too.

I know it would never, ever happen, but a Mane...much bigger number (somewhere closer to ten or fifteen) set of ponies from previous gens that haven't really been explored would be really fun, some older ponies have really pretty designs but NEVER got enough focus in G4 or even before. Again, there's no way it'll happen...but Toola Roola as she was in G3 (that being an adult with a more mature personality!) or my BELOVED Sugarberry from G1 as a main character would be a dream come true:D.

Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash keep reappearing, so I suppose I can dream!

• Brohoof 1

On 2018-07-17 at 8:21 PM, Steve Piranha said:

I'd rather have much less time passed, about 5 years or so. One of the main characters idolizes the Mane6 and his/her goal in life is follow their footsteps. I think it'll be more interesting following the world from the eyes of newcomers. Besides, I think EG will keep going along side the upcoming new show

Other than the time frame, it’s rather scary how accurate this turned out to be :lie:

I'm actually fine with the mane six being replaced in g5. The mane six were great main characters and I loved them, but it seemed that their stories wrapped up at the end of g4. I'm am interested to see exactly what this new cast of characters will be like. Though I doubt they will live up to the mane six, I hope they can still be well-made characters. If written well, it will be exciting to see these new main characters and to see what their individual personalities are like. So while I may miss the mane six, I'm glad we have a new group of characters to look forward to.

• 11 months later...

I don't think i would actually like to have new characters cause i love the g4 so much and to just suddenly have them replaced kinda breaks my heart. I mean even though Rarity is my fav i love all the characters so yea. I just hope that even if they are replaced at least they'll make an appearance for a few episodes in the mlp g5 series. I also hope that they are not deceased cause that would make me cry.

I think it is the perfect opportunity to demonstrate they can improve upon themselves. Especially considering that most of their stories were done. Twilight became the princess of equestria? Rainbow Dash turned into the wonderbolt she ever dreamed of, Rarity succeded as a renowned modiste, Pinkie Pie is Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy created a sanctuary to protect her beloved animals, and Applejack fixed a barn.
Also, they are most likely dead by now. So, there is that.

I'll miss them, but I'm perfectly fine with it. If anything, it was coming in G4 with Spike, CMC, Starlight/Trixie, and Student 6 all getting starring slots in later seasons, so were being primed. Something like that was needing to be done as the show runners were retreading old ground.

Not to mention it helps that the Mane 5 from G5 are all great characters!

I mean it's not like FiM itself kept trying to get replace them, often at the expense of their integrity

Edited by Megas