Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Songs that you don't like that other people do

NothingIsEverything

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:41 PM, Phosphor said:

I can think of one: Shape of You

I don't like it at all, but it seems to be popular since I hear it in nearly every store I visit.  :unamused:

Glad I'm not only one who hates "Shape of You." :love:

• Brohoof 2

Personally I feel there's a difference between an overplayed song and a song that is actually bad, and I try not to be a hippie and give more popular genres a chance. "Bohemian Rhapsody" is not a bad song, it's simply overplayed, though I do think it's not the best song to represent progressive or hard rock. "Stairway to Heaven" is kind of eh for a Led Zeppelin song though. Not an awful rock song, but for its length it's not particularly progressive, has way too much fluff, and too much repetitive chords. "Creep" by Radiohead is a kind of mediocre grunge song and does not represent most of their work at all...yet it's the song they are remembered by, unfortunately. Also "Smells like Teen Spirit", though that could be because I don't like Nirvana that much and I prefer Soundgarden's music more. 

• Brohoof 1

Some might disagree with me but I dislike and can't stand anything K-Pop/J-Pop or Justin Beiber or Taylor Swift. They kill me brains.

But can't really remember a specific song that I dislike right now.

Side note: I dislike Woke up in Japan by 5SOS. It is pretty well liked within the fandom, and as much as I am a 5SOS fan myself, I am unable to enjoy that song. It has certain good qualities but.....

• Brohoof 1

Anything from Cardi B or Nicki Minaj. I find both of them annoying and their songs just doesn't appeal. Subjective I know but something about the way they sing just irritates me to no end. Sad thing is that Nicki Minaj's 'Stupid Hoe' video on YouTube (my most hated song to ever listen to) is on my birthday so that's something I kind of wished I didn't need to know. 

8 hours ago, TBD said:

Modern pop songs. Need to say more?

Also I don't think it's fair to lump all contemporary pop as "bad". It's just that because pop is...well, popular by default, they are more vulnerable to certain trends – the more recent ones that come to mind are auto-tune and "millennial whooping" (and these trends aren't always bad if they are used creatively). It's also rather unfortunate that the majority of pop music is actually written by a select few. Now there is nothing wrong with having someone else write a song that you are going to play, because not everyone can play an instrument + sing + compose lyrics and melodies for that song. But it has contributed to the lack of complexity and variety in recent pop. However, there are still plenty of contemporary pop songs that I think are pretty good, and if you want to find good pop songs you just have to spend a little more time searching for it.

I find myself admittedly liking "Somebody That I Used To Know", "Still Feel Like Your Man", and even songs like "Radioactive" and "Counting Stars". I also listened to a lot of Coldplay when I was younger, and I still do. 

• Brohoof 2

22 hours ago, Midnight Solace said:

No one likes my music because it has no lyrics. Pop music has brainwashed them.

Lyrics isn't something that's native to pop. Any genre can potentially have lyrics in them. 

• Brohoof 1

On 5/10/2018 at 1:35 PM, King of Canterlot said:

I don't like a lot of things by Twenty One Pilots

Yeah, Rap Rock was a cheesy 90s thing. Who thought that meant time for rap house/edm? Theyre more Corny than Limp Bizkit

My friends LOVE Drake despite hating on him big time. Like, they call him the fakest person alive yet here they are singing his songs.

12 hours ago, Rainbow Dash said:

Yeah, Rap Rock was a cheesy 90s thing. Who thought that meant time for rap house/edm? Theyre more Corny than Limp Bizkit

My friends LOVE Drake despite hating on him big time. Like, they call him the fakest person alive yet here they are singing his songs.

It's not that cheesy. Red Hot Chili Peppers were great at mixing in the lyrical complexity of hip hop into their music."Give It Away" is an early example, and songs like "Can't Stop" and "Dani California", while being largely alt rock, clearly show influence from hip-hop and funk. Also Limp Bizkit leans a bit more into rap metal / nu metal, though nu metal nowadays doesn't exactly have the best reputation, especially among some metalheads who don't regard it as real metal. 

12 hours ago, Flutterstep said:

Whatever this uh-duh-duh-buh-duh-duh music is these days. How can you enjoy music that you can’t even understand?

I can at the very least agree that Soundcloud mumble rap is one of the worst things to come out of this decade. Hip-hop is all about lyrical complexity and dexterity and some off these emerging rappers don't show much of that. Some of the rappers that have become prominent in this decade that I do like though are Kendrick Lamar and Chance the Rapper. 

• Brohoof 1

Probably the pop bs they play today. (Side note: If you listen to it I respect that, but I can’t help but tell you how horrible it is. Most songs are just whining and meaningless) 

Edited by Elyrse

Despa-f*cking-cito!

Really, almost any modern pop music. Most recently-famous musicians are dead to me (perfect case: Coldplay, you used to make such awesome music!) and I don’t enjoy rap in any form.

That said, there are exceptions. I like some Skrillex and a fair amount of M83.

I was born in the 21st century, I swear!

Pardon my language but I am not a fan of an overwhelming majority of hip-hop and many modern songs, particularly those with lazy and uninspired melodiesm or those artists who employ some kind of vocal fuckery or singing style I can’t explain, where it either sounds short and clipped like a gun (kind of like the lead singer of Lukas Graham), if not slurred and half-asleep.

I doubt I can overemphesize how much I dislike Pharrell William's song "Happy." I never understood what people saw in it; I don't think it's catchy or even a happy song. It's practically monotone. Fortunately, time was my friend on this one and people seem to have largely gotten over it.

4 hours ago, ChB said:

With a few exceptions, I don’t like most songs from the Beatles, Beach Boys, Taylor Swift, and Justin Bieber.

Aside from the blasphemy of not like the beatles or beach boys you just told me stephen hillenburg died 

I hate most contemporary pop/rap... imagine dragons is a terrible rock band Idk why people like that

On 11/23/2018 at 5:55 PM, Venomous said:

I don't like the song Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. It's dreadfully long and annoying. 

I always liked their other songs more

Edited by Olly

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:55 PM, Venomous said:

I don't like the song Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. It's dreadfully long and annoying. 

And overhyped...I think ever since Suicide squad re-introduced it as their soundtrack, People started to noticed that this song and Queen  existed.

@King of Canterlot I feel ya, man. Its like: The 90s called, guys...they want the played out rap rock gimmic back.  Oh, and adding slow house beats doesnt make it innovative.

I could say all pop songs from 2011-present but there are some good ones. That said, i find anything by Post Malone, Lady Gaga/Katy Perry/Nicki Minaj(since their basically the same), and anyone named lil utter rot.

If it isnt songs made by 30 people whose whole lives are committed to writing pandering, upbeat, high tempo, generic songs about whatever the buzzword is that week; its pop rap songs by spoiled kids pretending they had it hard and then rap about expensive car and shirts.