Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Physical Media Collecting

Games, movies, etc. Who out there loves physical media? I know I do! It's part of why this current generation of consoles is sort of bringing me down. I love owning physical games and movies, and I love creating shelves dedicated for them. Sadly it sometimes makes it hard to find something because of odd licensing issues (Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood comes to mind...) but I guess I just really find it more secure to have the physical item to know that if it is ever taken off of some digital front that I have it forever. Plus I like many others enjoy actually having a physical thing to feel like I actually own it.

My small but growing Bluray collection that I started last year:

image.jpg?width=578&height=434

My physical video game collection:

image.jpg?width=578&height=434

Sadly it doesn't represent its entirety because I lack space for the Xbox 360 games and some of my stuff is still back in the states. I vastly regret letting go of a ton of my Gamecube and other games from when I was younger. If the concept of them actually being worth something had dawned on 10 year old me...

But I love collecting them and having them on my shelf!

What about all of you? What are your collections like?

2 minutes ago, BronyNumber42licious said:

I have a 10×20 and 12x22 storage sheds full of stuff. 2000 games, 1100 DVDs, 1300 books, and miscellaneous stuff.

A man after my own heart. <3

(edited)

Unfortunately as far as my games go, almost all of them I've had to get rid of the cases when I was a kid because my parents really cared about space so I don't have much of a display to show them, but I do love steelbooks, a lot. Only downside is that you really need to take good care of them as they're really easy to damage and nearly impossible to fix if that happens.

I also collect a few comic books(in the bigger Volume sizes though), though mainly Transformers and Power Rangers, with a few TMNT, MLP and Invader Zim scattered here and there

I also don't have much shelf space for everything I own, but with me moving out soon maybe some Garage sales with cheap shelves for sale will help remedy that

Edited by Whomps
  • Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Califorum said:

I have some star trek things. Like some cards and things like that.

I love Star Trek. I have all the dvds and more than 500 of the books, and I have read more than 400 of them. I keep track.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, BronyNumber42licious said:

I love Star Trek. I have all the dvds and more than 500 of the books, and I have read more than 400 of them. I keep track.

I've watched all of the series, and all of the movies. I love it too. 

4 minutes ago, Whomps said:

Unfortunately as far as my games go, almost all of them I've had to get rid of the cases when I was a kid because my parents really cared about space so I don't have much of a display to show them, but I do love steelbooks, a lot. Only downside is that you really need to take good care of them as they're really easy to damage and nearly impossible to fix if that happens.

I also collect a few comic books(in the bigger Volume sizes though), though mainly Transformers and Power Rangers, with a few TMNT, MLP and Invader Zim scattered here and there

I also don't have much shelf space for everything I own, but with me moving out soon maybe some Garage sales with cheap shelves for sale will help remedy that

Part of why I avoid Steelbooks like the plague, but sadly I own some...

(edited)

I have all three of the books in the original Stranded series and also Nim's Island (physical softcover book) and Nim at Sea (on my iPhone). In 2014 a third book was released - I need to buy it. I need to try and get the three books in the next part of the Stranded series - the Shadow Island Trilogy. However, the Shadow Island Trilogy feels like a stand-alone sequel to the original - meaning, you can practically end the story with the first trilogy and the second one is just a "what-if?".

Two other books I have are Malcolm at Midnight and The One and Only Ivan. Great stories - you gotta read 'em.

I'm thinking of getting the Adventure Island series by Helen Moss as well - loved those too.

Edited by Shabb3r

Just now, BronyNumber42licious said:

Have you seen the bluray remakes? They are awesome. 

I think I have at some point, or maybe it was just the highest definition. Don't really remember.

If there's something I really want to own, I'll buy it physically, like I did with the MLP movie DVD. I also completely understand wanting to have a physical copy as a backup – the thought of losing a lot of stuff after a computer (or console or anything like that) breaks down is awful. :(

But other than backups, I mostly see physical media as only a collectible nowadays. For example, I listen to music quite often but I stream instead of buying CDs. Though there's a certain appeal to physical media. You can't collect digital media the same way, and then there's the nostalgia. VHS, for example – it's obsolete and clearly inferior to DVD but there's something oddly nice about it. :muffins:

• Brohoof 2

I am trying to keep away from physical books - when I downsized to a small apartment, I donated almost all of them to charity, keeping only a few dozen of my most treasured volumes. 

I AM buying the FiM boxsets when I see them - I have the single-case versions of S1-S3 plus the tripleplay of the movie, and when I can get the remaining seasons in single-case versions, I will buy them too - I think it is important to support the series by actually having full copies (even if I CAN watch them on Amazon Prime or Netflix)

All my Switch games are physical - ok, they are the size of postage stamps and a bunch of patches download when you first use them, but I like having the physical media. That said, I am currently updating my MAME romset to the latest version, which has a whole mess of console games :)

(edited)

Remember how I have said that I own every Godzilla movie~?

Well, I wasn't lying! :D

Spoiler

IMG_0166.JPG

I own quite a few more Blu rays as well, but this collection definitely sticks out~! :P

Edited by The Recherche
  • Brohoof 1

17 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

I am trying to keep away from physical books - when I downsized to a small apartment, I donated almost all of them to charity, keeping only a few dozen of my most treasured volumes. 

I AM buying the FiM boxsets when I see them - I have the single-case versions of S1-S3 plus the tripleplay of the movie, and when I can get the remaining seasons in single-case versions, I will buy them too - I think it is important to support the series by actually having full copies (even if I CAN watch them on Amazon Prime or Netflix)

All my Switch games are physical - ok, they are the size of postage stamps and a bunch of patches download when you first use them, but I like having the physical media. That said, I am currently updating my MAME romset to the latest version, which has a whole mess of console games :)

The moment they release the series on bluray, I will buy it. But sadly it's still DVD only for the series which is dumb because the show is MADE in HD...

51 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

The moment they release the series on bluray, I will buy it. But sadly it's still DVD only for the series which is dumb because the show is MADE in HD...

I am only buying them to have legal copies (and support the show) - I have the actual episodes in mkv or mp4 already, and can't imagine actually PLAYING the physical media...

2 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

I am only buying them to have legal copies (and support the show) - I have the actual episodes in mkv or mp4 already, and can't imagine actually PLAYING the physical media...

I play them sometimes,

Most of what I have is DVD so that when I'm at my gran's I could watch what I want to watch and bring it to watch

(edited)
30 minutes ago, Sherbert Music-Guard said:

I play them sometimes,

Most of what I have is DVD so that when I'm at my gran's I could watch what I want to watch and bring it to watch

I have portable drives for that; I used to use dedicated MKV players (like this -
aHR0cHM6Ly9zdGF0aWMubXltZW1vcnkuY28udWsv

) because they were cheap - But these days most TVs can take a USB thumbdrive or rotating rust directly with movie files on it.

Edited by CypherHoof

1 minute ago, CypherHoof said:

I have portable drives for that; I used to use dedicated MKV players (like this -
aHR0cHM6Ly9zdGF0aWMubXltZW1vcnkuY28udWsv

) because they were cheap - But these days most TVs can take a USB thumbdrive or rotating rust directly with movie files on it.

The TV at my gran's spare room is a CRT so that wouldn't work

Just now, CypherHoof said:

Ouch. Presumably SCART, not HDMI?

Yeah,

I don't mind though (even though I might want to try an adapter for my droid box to watch movies and that that I stored) because it looks stunning, the picture stands up well with my 1080p TV (don't try scart on my TV at home, it washes out for some reason even though my last 1080p tv didn't wash out everything on non HDMI)

5 minutes ago, Sherbert Music-Guard said:

Yeah,

I don't mind though (even though I might want to try an adapter for my droid box to watch movies and that that I stored) because it looks stunning, the picture stands up well with my 1080p TV (don't try scart on my TV at home, it washes out for some reason even though my last 1080p tv didn't wash out everything on non HDMI)

Indeed. I don't really have that problem (if I am visiting family, I take a laptop, so can just use that; back when I had an android tablet, I could use that too) but the player was so that my mother (or more usually, her grandchildren) could watch stuff on there. Ditto friends and stuff.

I think it really sucks that you can't use the switch for that though.

2 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

I think it really sucks that you can't use the switch for that though.

I'm thankful I don't own for my self,

If they halved the price and put decent software on it, it'd be worthwhile

Just now, Sherbert Music-Guard said:

I'm thankful I don't own for my self,

If they halved the price and put decent software on it, it'd be worthwhile

I only got it for MK8 - Odessey is better (possibly the best mario game ever :D )  and... yeah. Its been gathering dust for a fair while now.

1 minute ago, CypherHoof said:

I only got it for MK8 - Odessey is better (possibly the best mario game ever :D )  and... yeah. Its been gathering dust for a fair while now.

Yeah, I'd just steal my sister's Switch if I wanted to play anything right now until it becomes worthwhile