Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Marks for Effort  

97 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• Cozy Glow: "I…FAILED!!!" *wails away* ("I HATE IT!" >__<)
    • Apple Bloom: *pulls gum off desk* "I bet ther's no wonderful world of cleaning lesson at Twilight's school." ("I dislike it!")
    • Yona: *jumps, eats cupcake, accidentally flattens Pinkie into a pancake* ("…meh…")
    • Apple Bloom: "We wanted to go to Twilight's school more than anything, but helping you has been even more fun!" ("I like it!")
    • Cozy Glow: "Kindness! Loyalty! Honesty! Generosity! Laughter! Magic!" CMCs & Cozy: "YEAH! WOO-HOO!" ("I LOVE IT!" <3)

Note: Over the course of Season 8, content originally leaked (e.g., the Student Six's names, episode titles, summaries) have been officially revealed. But as always, please keep all leaked content not officially revealed yet — and/or if you're unsure if you're revealing too much — under the "spoiler" tag. (Hit the eye icon to trigger it and type within it.)

Secondly, this episode was released early in Finland. Unlike the leaks back in December, this release is official. If you watched it, feel free to post here. (Whether you can post comments here without a spoiler tag or not, I don't know.)

Title: Marks for Effort

Air Date (U.S./Disc. Family): June 2 at 11:30am

Writer: Nicole Dubuc

Summary: "The Cutie Mark Crusaders try to convince Twilight Sparkle to let them into the School of Friendship, even though it's clear they've already mastered the curriculum."

Extra Note: After Finland aired the episode, a brony successfully translated the script to English, found here. I went ahead and fused the fan translations into the episode; you can find the videos below. Be warned: MAJOR Spike-centric spoilers to "Molt Down"! Watch AND read at your own risk!

Remember to join us at the CMC Clubhouse on Equestria.tv!

Engish-speaking episode will be linked after it airs.

Meantime, SendVid link:

1. English (official/Disc. Family): https://sendvid.com/wwa8pgwa

This episode wasn't in the leak unlike 6-11 and 13. I got the feeling it was delayed because...

...they had to reanimate the scenes Spike was in. Since alot of the episodes get animated simultaneously, they probably didn't get the info about the previous episode.

• Brohoof 3

11 hours ago, MegaSean45 said:

This episode wasn't in the leak unlike 6-11 and 13. I got the feeling it was delayed because...

Hide contents

...they had to reanimate the scenes Spike was in. Since alot of the episodes get animated simultaneously, they probably didn't get the info about the previous episode.

I don't even think Spike will be in this episode. He usually doesn't appear in CMC episodes, after all. The last time he appeared (it was also a background cameo) was Crusaders of the Lost Mark, despite some mentionings in later episodes.

(edited)
2 hours ago, FirePuppy said:

I don't even think Spike will be in this episode. He usually doesn't appear in CMC episodes, after all. The last time he appeared (it was also a background cameo) was Crusaders of the Lost Mark, despite some mentionings in later episodes.

Oh, he's in there all right... :D

And cute as a button in one particular scene!

(FYI - Finland released everything up to the hiatus early, including this episode.)

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, titanhades70 said:

This is pretty much a Starlight /CMC episode. Yeah! 😊

No, not quite. You see, often times, main characters in certain episodes are not always necessarily the main focus. Fluttershy appeared the most in The Cutie Map Part 2, but she wasn’t the main focus in that episode (at least for half of it). And while Rarity did appear the second most in Fake It, that was actually a just Fluttershy episode.

I think countries and streaming services need to learn to stay on schedule and not release episodes too soon and too early. Don't they already realized that this is grounds for spoiling stuff by releasing future episodes without keeping schedule?

So...

Spoiler

I wonder why Cozy Glow's eyes are a light red and her cutie mark is a red rook chess piece

Plus Starlight made a funny face while drinking coca. 

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

So...

Reveal hidden contents

I wonder why Cozy Glow's eyes are a light red and her cutie mark is a red rook chess piece

Plus Starlight made a funny face while drinking coca. 

The Starlight thing was probably emotional countenance counter balancing. Basically, when someone forces themselves to self correct from an inappropriate response to an appropriate response and exaggerates through over correction. Startlight does that on occasion. 

As a huge fan of chess, the standard valuation system may hold a clue. The rook is the second highest valued piece ... the highest is the queen ... but only during the endgame. 

Get it. ;)

(edited)
15 minutes ago, Jeric said:

The Starlight thing was probably emotional countenance counter balancing. Basically, when someone forces themselves to self correct from an inappropriate response to an appropriate response and exaggerates through over correction. Startlight does that on occasion. 

As a huge fan of chess, the standard valuation system may hold a clue. The rook is the second highest valued piece ... the highest is the queen ... but only during the endgame. 

Get it. ;)

Oh, I do.

Well, with that in mind

Spoiler

Once the season finale airs, I know what bullet point of fridge brilliance to make on TV Tropes' page for it

Thanks!

Edited by SwitchGuy2018
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I have a feeling I'm gonna be raging about this episode on Saturday.  Probably to the point of me wanting to do this to Shadow the Hedgehog:

image.thumb.png.bc1794704bb326a507602807e6fb9f47.png

Who do I gotta commission to make a Shadow vs. Tirek Music Video of "Cantata Mortis & God In Fire" a reality? The first half: Cantata Mortis will be of Shadow trying to overcome Lord Tirek, only to be reminded of how pathetic the Ultimate Life Form truly is. Then when "God In Fire" kicks in, SUPER SHADOW turns the tide, and Tirek tries to defeat Super Shadow, only to barely match him blow for blow, and the final blow would defeat Lord Tirek, and Shadow would run out of rings in time for the song to end.

Edited by YoshiAngemon

• This topic was pinned and featured

Wakey wakey; eggs & bacey! ;)

Just now, Im_not_crazy_im_just said:

How did pinkie not die?:blink: she got crushed by (I forgot her name) the one who’s a yak

Yona is her name.

-

Scoots tried to play Buckball in class... Why does that feel so in character of her? :lol:

• Brohoof 3

.First of all, I think the CMC need to take Totem Pole Lessons from Zelda: Tri-Force Heroes.

300px-TFH_Totem_Moblin_Art.png.1f64c663e0adf7a633aa0a820a39aa03.png

And I'm glad to see more of the school. Especially Ocellus learning how to share from Pinkie.

3 minutes ago, Im_not_crazy_im_just said:

How did pinkie not die?:blink: she got crushed by Yona I think

Cartoon physics are on her side.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I HATE THIS EPISODE! I'm skipping this, so you can spoil it for me in PMs! If there's one thing I can't stand is FILLIES WHO DON'T GET THE MESSAGE THE FIRST TIME!

fef.gif

I HATE IT! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!!

Edited by YoshiAngemon
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I missed most of the beginning due to technical difficulties, so I'm a little lost right.

"I'm going to call you Repeatie Belle!"

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 2