Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Marks for Effort  

97 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• Cozy Glow: "I…FAILED!!!" *wails away* ("I HATE IT!" >__<)
    • Apple Bloom: *pulls gum off desk* "I bet ther's no wonderful world of cleaning lesson at Twilight's school." ("I dislike it!")
    • Yona: *jumps, eats cupcake, accidentally flattens Pinkie into a pancake* ("…meh…")
    • Apple Bloom: "We wanted to go to Twilight's school more than anything, but helping you has been even more fun!" ("I like it!")
    • Cozy Glow: "Kindness! Loyalty! Honesty! Generosity! Laughter! Magic!" CMCs & Cozy: "YEAH! WOO-HOO!" ("I LOVE IT!" <3)

1 minute ago, Im_not_crazy_im_just said:

Please tell me you’re being sarcastic 

I spoiled myself over this. They never learn anything! Why else would I use a gif of Kootie Pie throwing a tantrum?

I wasn't expecting Cozy to fail and an angry Twilight to appear. :O

• Brohoof 2

I have a theory about why Crazy Glow's Cutie Mark is a red rook after what @Jeric said about how in chess a rook is the 2nd most powerful piece after the Queen.

Possible Season Finale Spoilers

Spoiler

I think Crazy Glow might end up helping Queen Chrysalis get her revenge, perhaps without even knowing it

• Brohoof 5

1 minute ago, SwitchGuy2018 said:

I have a theory about why Crazy Glow's Cutie Mark is a red rook after what @Jeric said about how in chess a rook is the 2nd most powerful piece after the Queen.

Possible Season Finale Spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

I think Crazy Glow might end up helping Queen Chrysalis get her revenge, perhaps without even knowing it

Spoiler

What is she? The Daughter of Queen Chrysalis AND Lord Tirek? They're gonna pull a Power Rangers and marry two villains together!

• Brohoof 1

Another good, solid episode. Also, Cozy is just too cute...

• Brohoof 3

An episode about the CMC wanting to attend the School of Friendship was a concept that I found interesting and one I wanted to see how it would play out.

With that in mind I thought the episode was enjoyable.  The CMCs failed attempts to get into the school were entertaining, I am interested in seeing how Cozy Glow's appearance in this episode will relate to her appearance in the season finale, Sweetie Belle saying crying always works for Rarity was a pretty funny line, and I hope that the CMC becoming tutors for the Friendship School gets followed up on in the future.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)
6 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

An episode about the CMC wanting to attend the School of Friendship was a concept that I found interesting and one I wanted to see how it would play out.

With that in mind I thought the episode was enjoyable.  The CMCs failed attempts to get into the school were entertaining, I am interested in seeing how Cozy Glow's appearance in this episode will relate to her appearance in the season finale, Sweetie Belle saying crying always works for Rarity was a pretty funny line, and I hope that the CMC becoming tutors for the Friendship School gets followed up on in the future.

The only way those three will become students for the school will be to...

Spoiler

SAVE THE DAY AFTER IT GETS BURNED DOWN BY THE EEA!

SO LONG, SUCKERS!

Edited by YoshiAngemon

Eh... I didn't much care for this episode personally. Don't get me wrong, it had its moments like with Starlight being the guidance counsellor and Cozy Glow, but it felt kind of flat to me up until the end. Plus, Twilight seemed a bit too harsh to me when she accused the CMC of setting Cozy Glow up to fail, not even listening to a word they said in their defence. Maybe I'll change my mind on a second viewing, but overall this felt like a pretty weak episode to me.

• Brohoof 4

She's not hundreds of years old loli. Do not want! Either Glow is just another misguided pony or this episode was meaningless cause they'll have to reveal her true self in another one ... And then re-reveal how she is actually just misguided due to her tragic past. Oh boy.

I'm kinda pissed that Twilight DIDN'T apologise for lashing out at the CMC AFTER Cosy Glow explained that she deliberately failed her test just so she could help them get into the School Of Friendship. Overall, it was...pretty meh :huh:

• Brohoof 4

(edited)
15 minutes ago, SolarFlare13 said:

I'm kinda pissed that Twilight DIDN'T apologise for lashing out at the CMC AFTER Cosy Glow explained that she deliberately failed her test just so she could help them get into the School Of Friendship. Overall, it was...pretty meh :huh:

Those ingrates deserved it! I'm just like Daimando's Shadow, right now, that I chose to watch Super Mario Bros. 3's "Do the Koopa" over this. I deserve to have a cow fall on me!

Edited by YoshiAngemon

On 5/18/2018 at 4:22 PM, Jeric said:

As a huge fan of chess, the standard valuation system may hold a clue. The rook is the second highest valued piece ... the highest is the queen ... but only during the endgame.

And since we are not in endgame yet. The rook must be very trustworthy. She must gain absolute trust and loyalty of her king and castle him as to appear giving the greatest protection. But now the king is backing into the corner guarded solely by the rook and it is only a matter of time to take advantage of such a position...:wacko:

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, SolarFlare13 said:

I'm kinda pissed that Twilight DIDN'T apologise for lashing out at the CMC AFTER Cosy Glow explained that she deliberately failed her test just so she could help them get into the School Of Friendship.

Don't think the apology's all that necessary. Twilight realized her mistake and showed remorse. Rewarding the CMCs with honorary diplomas and hiring them as tutors (through SG) works better, because she's acting upon her own mistake and rectifying it.

On 5/18/2018 at 4:22 PM, Jeric said:

As a huge fan of chess, the standard valuation system may hold a clue. The rook is the second highest valued piece ... the highest is the queen ... but only during the endgame. 

5 minutes ago, KH7672 said:

And since we are not in endgame yet. The rook must be very trustworthy. She must gain absolute trust and loyalty of her king and castle him as to appear giving the greatest protection. But now the king is backing into the corner guarded solely by the rook and it is only a matter of time to take advantage of such a position...:wacko:

Even more, the pawns, knight, and bishop (if you're fianchettoing) stand in front of the King to protect him from the more vulnerable squares and disguises the castle's weaknesses.

• Brohoof 3

Oh Glimglam, you and your meme-able facial expressions! That was truly the highlight of this week's episode!

Speaking of which "That's devious!" was such a classic line! I love how the writers give her that tiny bit of villainy within her. 

The episode's biggest strength was that it wasn't easy to predict what was going to happen and that made it all the more fun!

I'm not sure how to feel about  Cozy Glow. On one hand, she's adorable, but I don't know how to feel about her as a character.

• Brohoof 5

Saw MLP "Marks For Effort". This episode is so cute! The concept is adorable and I loved the little plot twist and especially the end. I thought for sure the new pony would pass her test and that's how the CMC would become part of the school but I like how she fails on purpose because it kept me guessing as to how it would end. The little graduation caps made me excited for my own graduation which will be happening soon! I also loved seeing Spike flying around with his new wings helping Twi and her class and the flash cards with the cutie marks were a great visual also. It was cool to see more pony characters at the school. Some questions though: Isn't Cozy the same age as the CMC? If so why is she not also attending regular filly school with the CMC?? Or is Cozy just small but older?  Another great S8 episode for me!

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
On 6/2/2018 at 10:43 AM, Dark Qiviut said:

Lol @ TwiTwi's students chanting for Spike. XD

Casting Spike as Professor John Keating from "Dead Poet's Society" in that scene is some of the highest praise DHX could ever give his character. That blew me away. :D

This episode overall was amazing. An ensemble cast with even secondary characters like Big Mac and Sugar Belle getting involved in the story. Student 6 all present and even some of them getting speaking roles. Starlight stealing the show in her scenes. I loved it. That's the 3rd time in a row, and something like 5th or 6th loved episode this season. After seeing this episode several more times, the jokes - while still funny - don't quite hold up enough to make up for some of the episodes more serious problems I discuss in later comments in this topic. So instead of it being a low-end "loved", it's a high-end "liked". Not much difference, but no 3 loved episodes in a row, alas....

The only thing I really didn't like was Twilight unwillingness to listen to the CMC's side of the story, especially when the fake answers she read from the failed test like the "your mom" didn't make sense. If the CMC were really trying to sabotage one of Twilight's students, what would be the logic to that kind of answer? Why would a student believe that is a good  answer on any test? Twilight had her brains in park for that scene and it really bothered me.

Fortunately, it only lasts a few moments since Cozy goes to Starlight to explain things and everything is resolved quickly. So I'm giving it a pass so it can keep it's "loved it" rating since everything else in this episode is fantastic. But it's the one thing that I feel could have been written differently in a way that still moved the plot in a direction of Twilight thinking the CMC were up to no good.

I'll have to watch the episode again to catch all of the details. Should be as much fun as seeing it the first time, especially knowing Twilight mistrusting the CMC isn't dragged out.

Edited by Truffles
downgraded episode to "liked" instead of "loved"
  • Brohoof 4

Perhaps I shouldn't jump to conclusions regarding Cozy Glow due to leaked information regarding the second half of Season 8 and make a hypothesis too soon.

From watching the episode myself, it was clear that she truly needed help with her homework, and the Crusaders were more than willing to help her. However, learning that they wanted to enroll in the School of Friendship, Cozy Glow intentionally flunked her test, but this resulted in Twilight thinking the Crusaders were being spiteful to Cozy and punished them with never coming near the school or the students again. However, once Cozy explained everything to Twilight and took responsibility for her actions, Twilight easily forgave the Crusaders due to the miscommunication, and rewarded them instead with honorary degrees, while Starlight offered them positions at the school as tutors, which they accepted.

In conclusion, I'm giving this episode an 8.5, maybe a 9/10 as my rating.

I don’t have much to say about this episode. I just absolutely loved it!

Cute CMCs doing cute things, the adorable new pony we’ll probably never see again, the “your mom” joke, a ton of epic faics, and Starlight being one of the greatest parts of it all. I really enjoyed it and had a lot of fun.

But there is one thing that bugs me: what did Spike say to the class when he was left in charge?

• Brohoof 4

39 minutes ago, Sonic5421 said:

Perhaps I shouldn't jump to conclusions regarding Cozy Glow due to leaked information regarding the second half of Season 8 and make a hypothesis too soon.

Spoiler

I didn't see any sings that outright tells she's actually evil, save from a couple of vague instances she's rather manipulative, but seemed a truly sweet filly overall :huh:. Oh well, it's possible we'll get an explanation at the season finale. Another theory may be....

Spoiler

The Cozy Glow in the finale is actually Chrysy, considering she'll get scotch free in the next episode to scheme another day 

• Brohoof 2