Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Genuine Plushies Or Cheap Unofficial Rip-offs?

Soren Peregrine

I found this website where they apparently sell a lot of plushies: https://www.123cosplay.com/collections/my-little-pony

They actually don't look all that bad.

POPL9015_large.jpeg.17a21544a2ddd9a9a77098f62b7bb02f.jpegPOPL9008_large.jpeg.0f0d9dbb4b16873f5499cda90151095e.jpegPOPL6032_large.jpeg.f7ecd74b83ddeca0d83af9bb7668c7be.jpegPOPL6031_large.jpeg.f60e676d5b25bb4fd60528a5c773aa66.jpeg

However, some of these look slightly different than some of the branded ones I have seen, and they are based out of China, so I was wondering if they are just one of those cheap rip-off companies.

For example, this Soarin plush's cutie mark is normally just the wonderbolt sign in the branded ones I have seen.

s-l400.jpg.6db1f54b44fe276b109996840073b034.jpg

But here on this website it appears that he has his actual cutie mark.

POPL4053_1024x1024.thumb.jpg.3bb27aaf89bef4c0e8733d26067094e6.jpg

So are these an actual brand or are they just copies? I can't find them anywhere else on the internet. If they aren't and are just copies and custom made or manufactured, do they look like they are of a good quality, or cheap? It seems like if they are just unofficial plushies, there are still a lot that you couldn't find anywhere else.

Well, what do you think?

• Brohoof 1

Well, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure. I've seen those same type of plushies around but I've been hesitant to buy one because I'm just not sure if what I'll be getting will be the same as depicted in the picture. I'm not one to want to loose out on my money, but if they are actual good plushies then I'll buy one as soon as I can, the more show-accurate for me the better :D 

I'd bet the genuine plushies also come from china. Sure the knock off is of lesser quality but for such a simple item the differences you might expect are almost negligible. I wouldn't get one though if the cutie mark is wrong.

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

I'd bet the genuine plushies also come from china. Sure the knock off is of lesser quality but for such a simple item the differences you might expect are almost negligible. I wouldn't get one though if the cutie mark is wrong.

Yeah that's what is funny about the unofficial Soarin plush. It has the correct cutie mark, whereas the official one does not. It seems that it would be a better buy as far as being true to the show.

• Brohoof 2

I had the same problem when I was buying Pokémon plushies. Rule of thumb, never buy from China as they are 99.9% fake. If you find them on eBay from China for dirt cheap, they are fake. I only buy plushies when I can see the figure I’m buying and not a stock photo or from a company I trust.

I’m not saying that all vendors at shows do this but I’ve seen a lot that try to pass off homemade plushies as authentic. 

• Brohoof 1

On 5/23/2018 at 10:48 AM, Twilight Luna said:

I had the same problem when I was buying Pokémon plushies. Rule of thumb, never buy from China as they are 99.9% fake. If you find them on eBay from China for dirt cheap, they are fake. I only buy plushies when I can see the figure I’m buying and not a stock photo or from a company I trust.

I’m not saying that all vendors at shows do this but I’ve seen a lot that try to pass off homemade plushies as authentic. 

I guess the only way to find out if they are reputable is to try to find reviews of the company, and if that looks okay, then possibly order something. I mean you can always tell them to refund or something if you don't get what is pictured, because I am pretty sure that you can take action if they cheat you for something. And yes, I've seen many people try to sell *genuine* merchandise that is totally fake from China, especially for Legos.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Looks pretty similar to the place that made this guy:

IMG_20180525_195146.thumb.jpg.bd2d73bf3247f1f145f99c38472d33c8.jpg

It's an import from China, but it's really not that bad from a quality standpoint.

For the record, I don't remember where I got him from, I think it was either Amazon or ebay.  I got a Fluttershy plush from the same place, too.

Edited by Longhaul

On 5/25/2018 at 8:55 PM, Longhaul said:

Looks pretty similar to the place that made this guy:

IMG_20180525_195146.thumb.jpg.bd2d73bf3247f1f145f99c38472d33c8.jpg

It's an import from China, but it's really not that bad from a quality standpoint.

For the record, I don't remember where I got him from, I think it was either Amazon or ebay.  I got a Fluttershy plush from the same place, too.

Oh a Braeburn plush. He looks so cool! Too bad you can't remember where you got him.

The Braeburn plush on this company's website looks almost identical actually:

POPL8071_large.jpeg.1fc996d9005d193dbf1dcd42361cc642.jpeg

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Soren Peregrine said:

Oh a Braeburn plush. He looks so cool! Too bad you can't remember where you got him.

The Braeburn plush on this company's website looks almost identical actually:

POPL8071_large.jpeg.1fc996d9005d193dbf1dcd42361cc642.jpeg

I think they're made by the same company, but probably sold by different sellers.  I remember the picture you posted being in the description.

And I just went back and looked, you can buy plushes like this on Amazon.  Search 'my little pony plush' and they'll show up alongside the more known brands (Aurora and the like).

1 minute ago, Longhaul said:

And I just went back and looked, you can buy plushes like this on Amazon.  Search 'my little pony plush' and they'll show up alongside the more known brands (Aurora and the like).

Oh awesome! Thanks for the tip! :)

• Brohoof 1

I actually have a Rainbow Dash and Derpy plushie that's unofficial and they actually look really good! Those on that site look amazing as well! :O

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...