Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Problem With The Student Six...

Ganondox

(edited)

...is that after their brief introductions and minor one-liners, all of their appearances have been as a group, and aside from 

Spoiler

Molt Down with Smolder

it appears that it's going to stay that way. Aside from the fact it means that there just isn't going to be much time to develop each character, it means we only really get to see how the function in the dynamics of that group. That hardly gives depth to anyone's personality, as any relationship dynamic only shows one facet of a character. As it is now, Smolder and Gallus appear to be virtually interchangeable. I hope 

Spoiler

The Hearth's Warming fleshes them out a bit more with individual backstories

but there is still the struggle of lack of time, as more time was allocated to the Pillars then is apparently going to be allotted there. Also, what's really interesting is seeing other relationships, even just one-on-ones from the group. For example, Look Before You Sleep did a lot to develop Applejack and Rarity. While the Student Six do have potential, this is the main reason why they haven't reached it so far, and worry that they might never reach it. 

Edited by Ganondox
  • Brohoof 1

All they need is making 6 episodes feature each member of student as the main character, interacting with their teachers, or Spike/Starlight. If they want to save episode slot, make student pairing episode instead of some pointless filler episodes.:fluttershy:(i enjoy typical filler episodes of the show but it hurts whenever an extreme pointless episode like AJ's Day Off could be saved for some character development or world-building episodes).

• Brohoof 3

Characters are literally JUST introduced a few episodes ago and people are already complaining about them. This fandom never ceases to amaze me. Give them some time to actually develop before complaining, sheesh.

Indeed, it would have been really nice to get Silverstream's perspective on matters during "Surf and/or Turf" instead of only giving her an off-screen mention.

I'm not sure how any of the S6 could have been included in the Maud, Las Pegasus, Sire's Hollow, or Fluttershy episodes, though.

And I wish they spoke in "Horse Play," but that was another group appearance so it wouldn't count.

• Brohoof 1

They'll probably be fleshed out more as we get towards the end of the season, but I think the shows current focus is slice of life and what it's like being a teacher. After all, the main 6 are the stars of the show still, so it's expected for everyone else to be in the background most of the time.

(edited)
6 hours ago, Key Sharkz said:

Characters are literally JUST introduced a few episodes ago and people are already complaining about them. This fandom never ceases to amaze me. Give them some time to actually develop before complaining, sheesh.

I am not complaining about them. I like the characters, I just don’t think they are being utilized in the best matter to really get them to stand out as individuals. At this point they’ve hardly just been introduced, and this is also taking the leaked synopsises into account. 

Edited by Ganondox

i do think that it was a little late to introduce 6 newbies, maybe they could have waited and used them for a secondary series. That way they could provide them and other younger characters with more screen time, like the CMC, Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, Pip, so on and so forth

(anybody else want Pip to become Luna's student?)

• Brohoof 1

Outta all the Student Six, it seems like Smolder might be the one that's gonna receive the most development, especially if she becomes close with Spike, whether it's girlfriend, sister, or just a really good dragon friend that helps him get in touch with his dragon biology! 

But hey, the other ones might get alot of development as well! Who knows? Who... *taps nose* ...knows? ;)

• Brohoof 1

As expected, our glorious writers tripled down and started shitting out new characters like there's no tomorrow. Most shows don't introduce fourteen (+ seven Movie exclusive) new semi-important characters in what are practically adjacent episodes.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Ganondox said:

I am not complaining about them. I like the characters, I just don’t think they are being utilized in the best matter to really get them to stand out as individuals. At this point they’ve hardly just been introduced, and this is also taking the leaked synopsises into account. 

It's only been 13 or so episodes...

(edited)
1 hour ago, Key Sharkz said:

It's only been 13 or so episodes...

That's half the season, that's a lot. Also, the synopsizes for the rest of the season have in fact been leaked, and the same trend appears to be there. 

Edited by Ganondox

Isn't the purpose of this season to showcase them as a group? I assume this is due to a payoff at the end of the season. To me, this is simply the writers saying they are serving chocolate ice cream because it fits with the entree and some saying they want vanilla instead. It also took a whole season before they started to have episodes that didn't put Twilight into every single one. 

I guess I'm just more patient. I'll wait and see. It's not like this observation changes anything coming down the line narratively, and this question becomes a better discussion point when the season is said and done. I'll put a pin in it and just be over there being patient. 

> Shrugs

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Jeric said:

Isn't the purpose of this season to showcase them as a group? I assume this is due to a payoff at the end of the season. To me, this is simply the writers saying they are serving chocolate ice cream because it fits with the entree and some saying they want vanilla instead. It also took a whole season before they started to have episodes that didn't put Twilight into every single one. 

I guess I'm just more patient. I'll wait and see. It's not like this observation changes anything coming down the line narratively, and this question becomes a better discussion point when the season is said and done. I'll put a pin in it and just be over there being patient. 

> Shrugs

Yeah, you're right, it's just an observation. We'll have to see how it ends playing out by the end of the season. They might take a different approach in Season 9 though, who knows. 

2 hours ago, Nightmare Terror said:

Soooo.........? What’s the explanation?

the_student_six_by_cheezedoodle96-dc7mk5

Season 8 new characters group name.

Google search "Student Six MLP" and you will be presented with a plethora of information in various media formats of your choosing. 

I'm all out of fish, but I have a spare rod. 

• Brohoof 2

Well, I've only seen what's aired, so I'll wait to see how this season develops. I'm a little concerned that fourteen main characters is too many, but it shouldn't be too hard to pair them up in ways that make each of them distinct. Still, I'll confess I wish the show had gone way further with the school concept than it has so far. It could really use a major change in structure. 

• Brohoof 1