Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Reasonable ships

Dragulia

(edited)

So instead of ship bashing or what's the worst ship. I'm going to try something new, reasonable ships.(warning: opinions)

Adult Spike/Ember: I can actually see this working, but only when Spike gets old enough. I can see it as a Ferb/Vanessa type thing. Basically, not old enough yet.

Fluttershy/Discord: I actually like this one, 

Spoiler

After The Break up Break Down, it's clear he has a crush on her. 

While I'm fine with them just being friends, it does seem absolutely cute, plus him relaxing with her in the sanctuary was sweet. They do look almost like a true married couple.

I dont count Spike/Smolder, because they

Spoiler

interacted..once

Edited by Dragulia

(edited)

1. Spitfire X Daring Do (aka FireDo)

daring_do_and_the_chinatown_glide_by_legoguy9875-dcbh4g7.thumb.png.aa22f0396fbb3b1cd1ff92c20ed9b0f5.png

They've never interacted before, but knowing how they both have a personal connection with Rainbow Dash, it's hard for me not to think that they should. Would Dash be thrilled to introduce her two biggest idols to each other? Yes. And to see them become an item? HELL YES.

2. Rarity X Octavia (aka Octarity)

fancy_dinner_date_by_legoguy9875-dcbh4fc.thumb.png.a972e00e2a116953c4d15f1042068a8a.png

They're the most ladylike of all mares, and they're not even princesses. I wouldn't be surprised if they had private get-togethers in fancy ballrooms from time to time. Rarity does at least acknowledge Octavia enough to make her pop up at Pinkie's party in Inspiration Manifestation.

3. VinylDash

No surprise here.

VinylDash.png.19049ae3587569679d11b4a6e4cef0a4.png

They go together as the "cool" couple. Why they're not hanging out is beyond mysteries.

4. FlutterHugger

FlutterHugger.jpg

This one's criminally underrated. I know a lot of people prefer Fluttercord, but when it comes to Fluttershy's pony partners, Tree Hugger should be the most obvious. No one in Equestria has a bigger appreciation for nature than her.

Edited by KillerKingBakudan
  • Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Dragulia said:

So instead of ship bashing or what's the worst ship. I'm going to try something new, reasonable ships.(warning: opinions)

Adult Spike/Ember: I can actually see this working, but only when Spike gets old enough. I can see it as a Ferb/Vanessa type thing. Basically, not old enough yet.

Hide contents

While I'm fine with them just being friends, it does seem absolutely cute, plus him relaxing with her in the sanctuary was sweet. They do look almost like a true married couple.

Hide contents

interacted..once

It's good you don't ship 'em! Why would ya ship possible siblings? ;)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Celestia/Discord has always been preferable to Fluttershy/Discord (in my opinion.) They're kinda equals, both being thousands of years old and extremely powerful.

5afdc287afdfd_622624__safe_screencap_discord_princesscelestia_twilightskingdom_animated_bouquet_flower_-colon-o_shippingfuel_smiling_surprised_wideeyes_wink.gif.f9ded514626273c09ca12829c6d19ded.gif

That said, Discord/Fluttershy is adorable (sometimes.) It's just that it's a little creepy, like a pervy old man having a crush on an innocent little girl, which is essentially what it is. (I'm not hating, just giving my honest opinion.)

Edited by Porrot
  • Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Porrot said:

Celestia/Discord has always been preferable to Fluttershy/Discord (in my opinion.) They're kinda equals, both being thousands of years old and extremely powerful.

5afdc287afdfd_622624__safe_screencap_discord_princesscelestia_twilightskingdom_animated_bouquet_flower_-colon-o_shippingfuel_smiling_surprised_wideeyes_wink.gif.f9ded514626273c09ca12829c6d19ded.gif

That said, Discord/Fluttershy is adorable (sometimes.) It's just that it's a little creepy, like a pervy old man having a crush on an innocent little girl, which is essentially what it is. (I'm not hating, just giving my honest opinion.)

But Fluttershy appears to have a little crush on Discord as well, just cannonically it looks small, but in Equestria, we don't know what happens when they aren't being animated

Reasonable... well, giving certain conditions almost any ship can be reasonable.

Under present conditions of the show (Season 8, first half) I don't think any mane 7 ship would be reasonable.

Side characters such as Trixie, Ember, Thorax, Zecora or the Wonderbolts could have crushes we don't know about.

Spoiler

Like Maud, who met someone recently and started dating.

I couldn't care less about background ponies, but giving their little to none screen time and even less focus... Most of their ships seem reasonable, as long as they're not BGPxMane6.

11 hours ago, Dragulia said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

interacted..once

Even age difference aside, there just doesn't seem to be any chemistry between Spike and Ember. There is more of a chance something could develop with Smolder. I approve of Fluttercord though. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Porrot said:

I actually prefer Dislestia as well for some of the same reasons. But I don’t ship FlutterCord for the complete opposite reason as you. I don’t see it as creepy because the power dynamic swings too far in Discord’s favor, but rather because it swings too far in Fluttershy’s favor.

Fluttershy has an emotional stranglehold on Discord. Not in a deliberately malicious way, but it’s still there. And in most cases, she shows a sisterly, sometimes motherly connection with him.

“Isn’t that right my wittle patient?” Is always the first thing that pops in my head when I think about their relationship. I don’t find infantalizing romantic, and Discord is basically her ward. You aren’t supposed to be the parental figure of your significant other.

They obviously love each other, but I see it in the same way I love my best friend.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 3

27 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

I actually prefer Dislestia as well for some of the same reasons. But I don’t ship FlutterCord for the complete opposite reason as you.

I don’t see it as creepy because the power dynamic swings too far in Discord’s favor, but rather because it swings too far in Fluttershy’s favor.

Fluttershy has an emotional stranglehold on Discord. Not in a deliberately malicious way, but it’s still there. And in most cases, she shows a sisterly, sometimes motherly connection with him.

“Isn’t that right my wittle patient?” Is always the first thing that pops in my head when I think about their relationship. I don’t find infantalizing romantic, and Discord is basically her ward. You aren’t supposed to be the parent of your significant other.

They obviously love each other, but I see it in the same way I love my best friend.

That's a good argument (against FlutterCord), I wish I'd thought of it... I tip my hat to you.

• Brohoof 2

The most reasonable ships are the ones I like. 

Okay, I'm joking, but I do only latch on to ships because I think it's somewhat plausible within the show itself. Given the show's penchant for characters being affectionate to one another, there are many platonic moments which are very easy to read as romantic, but none of these are more valid than the others, and to take them all as valid would either be somewhat contradictory or imply an especially large polyamorous relationship. 

I'm a big fan of shipping Sunset Shimmer with (pony) Twilight Sparkle, for one, because Sunset at least shows a particularly high amount of affection towards Twilight, especially in the second and third movie, where it resembles a sort of hero worship. The other reason, though, is that I just think their interactions are cute. 

While AppleDash is my oldest ship, I'm not sure their interactions are any more inherently romantic than any other hypothetical main six pairing. I've recently latched onto shipping Rarity with Rainbow Dash, however, not only due to notable overlap in motivations and personality traits, but also due to the episode "Rarity Investigates!," in which Rainbow literally takes Rarity out to a fancy dinner, and then the two proceed to bond adorably. 

And as much as I don't like FlutterCord, that pairing does tend to have somewhat more of the show's affectionate moments than others. 

But there aren't many pairings between friendly characters which I would consider entirely implausible either, aside from relationships between family members or between an adult and a minor. It's a pretty broad topic. 

(edited)

Celestia/Discord (Fluttercord just gives me the feeling of the old uncle and the seventeen year old girl)

Luna/Twilight (I know this contradicts what i just said but come on, she wasn't much conscious for a little over 1000 of those years)

Spike/Smolder (It's the final boot on the overstayed ship that is Rarispike

Trixie/Starlight (Yeah, go ahead and mug me all of you Starburst fans)

Gilda/Pinkie (don't judge me, i love the bad girl/up beat girl dynamic)

Edited by kaiser5578
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, DonMaguz said:

I couldn't care less about background ponies, but giving their little to none screen time and even less focus... Most of their ships seem reasonable, as long as they're not BGPxMane6.

How are ships between the two unreasonable? Lack of development should make the background ponies accessible to almost everyone.

At least they don't conflict with anything, like Inter-Mane Six ships often do.

15 minutes ago, KillerKingBakudan said:

How are ships between the two unreasonable? Lack of development should make the background ponies accessible to almost everyone.

At least they don't conflict with anything, like Inter-Mane Six ships often do.

You're right about the BG ponies, but we do see a lot about the Mane 6, their achievements and the ponies they like to hang around with, and the show doesn't show us any significant relationship or dynamic between any mane character and a BG pony.

Having a pony in the background all the time and missing great experiences with any mane pony makes me think a 'significant other' relationship is too stretched to be reasonable.

Again, under current show conditions. Change some fanon/headcanon conditions and you got your reasonable BGPxManePone ship.

22 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

You're right about the BG ponies, but we do see a lot about the Mane 6, their achievements and the ponies they like to hang around with, and the show doesn't show us any significant relationship or dynamic between any mane character and a BG pony.

Having a pony in the background all the time and missing great experiences with any mane pony makes me think a 'significant other' relationship is too stretched to be reasonable.

Again, under current show conditions. Change some fanon/headcanon conditions and you got your reasonable BGPxManePone ship.

Ponies can always meet some pony new. What doesn’t make sense is for a stable friendship to suddenly escalate into a romantic relationship out of nowhere. 

7 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

Ponies can always meet some pony new. 

Still, any big change on the personal relationships of a mane pony would have been already seen, they are so into the show's spotlight that it would feel weird for them to be put in a 'The Maud Couple' situation in which we couldn't even see how a mane character met her significant other and they had became an item out of nowhere (for the audience).

16 minutes ago, Ganondox said:

What doesn’t make sense is for a stable friendship to suddenly escalate into a romantic relationship out of nowhere. 

Yes, but I never wrote about stable friendships turning into couples. I said that if a mane pony IS already a BGP marefriend, then we would had already seen some hints of the item.

Again, any ship is reasonable given the right conditions, for any mane character ship, I don't see the show (without any fanon/headcanon involved) meeting those conditions currently.

1 minute ago, DonMaguz said:

Still, any big change on the personal relationships of a mane pony would have been already seen, they are so into the show's spotlight that it would feel weird for them to be put in a 'The Maud Couple' situation in which we couldn't even see how a mane character met her significant other and they had became an item out of nowhere (for the audience).

Yes, but I never wrote about stable friendships turning into couples. I said that if a mane pony IS already a BGP marefriend, then we would had already seen some hints of the item.

Again, any ship is reasonable given the right conditions, for any mane character ship, I don't see the show (without any fanon/headcanon involved) meeting those conditions currently.

I think it’s best handled as what could happen, not what is already happening. Because if you look at what has already happened, well, nothing. 

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Ganondox said:

Ponies can always meet some pony new. What doesn’t make sense is for a stable friendship to suddenly escalate into a romantic relationship out of nowhere. 

I have the most fun deliberately misinterpreting certain platonic moments as romantic. Affectionate friendships and romantic relationships can sometimes come across similarly from a certain perspective. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I have the most fun deliberately misinterpreting certain platonic moments as romantic. Affectionate friendships and romantic relationships can sometimes come across similarly from a certain perspective. 

It's fun, but it's also creepy. :P

(edited)
On 17/5/2018 at 12:00 AM, Dragulia said:

Hide contents

Reveal hidden contents

interacted..once

Fluttercord they never had romantic relations between an old man and a young girl, in all their moments is friendship between them two, it's a tv kids show, In the episode breakup breakdown, spike knows everything happening in discordant harmony in his friendships. It's pedophilia, how a can pairing an old man with a young girl, they are friends. 
Discord gave flowers to Celestia and that's good, because they're adults, well, Celestia is a woman in her 30's and he's an old man.

Edited by Van123

14 minutes ago, Van123 said:

It's pedophilia, how a can pairing an old man with a young girl

Dude, I do not like FlutterCord, but it is NOT pedophilia.

Big ages gaps do not automatically equal pedophilia. Fluttershy is a grown up mare who lives on her own.

• Brohoof 6

What do you guys think of Trixie/Discord? There was so much chemistry between them in To Where and Back again. They bickered and argued like an old married couple. I seriously expected them to kiss. Plus, they're both redeemed villians with sharp wits and antagonistic personalities.

trixiecord.thumb.jpg.e50b6f2dfa01e1d28de3aecc66071540.jpg

Trixie_catches_the_Discord_Changeling_S6E26.thumb.png.ce494a3ff093f9cb63d22cf69bf60688.png

_mvcr_4__discord_vs__trixie_by_timeymarey007-dbaxt5i.thumb.png.8fbd4568885a9480cc4c5b9c09f7bcfc.png