Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Comcast is crap

Fluttershutter

So they've gotten rid of cartoon network. Basically the only cable channel I watch. 100 channels of "reality" and reruns. Unfortunately there's no other way to get internet here but I want to quit paying for their tv.

Anybody use an antenna? Can you use a DVR with it? And what kind would you recommend?

(edited)

Did they get rid of it, or move it to a more costly package? I'm just curious. We "Cut the cable" several years ago. I'm lucky. My house is close enough to a public wifi net where I don't have to pay anyone for internet. I just had to buy an external wifi dongle with a good antenna.  Now I get a "good" to "excellent" signal for free!

I just download any shows I want to watch.

(I know some ways!)

I have an antenna for the TV, but reception isn't that great. I live fairly close to a military base. Whenever the Big Birds fly over my house, my signal gets blocked!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

30 minutes ago, Fluttershutter said:

Anybody use an antenna? Can you use a DVR with it? And what kind would you recommend?

I know a few years ago my mom wanted to get rid of our cable and replace it with an antenna, but we never went through with it because we couldn't record our shows with an antenna, so no you cannot use a DVR or any recording device with an antenna form of TV as far as I know. 

This was the service that my mom was thinking of getting but didn't, they have a great variety of TV antennas and many other accessories to go with them, and maybe you can record shows, but as I far as I know you can't, but I may be wrong-

https://www.channelmaster.com/TV_Antennas_s/35.htm

Honestly, almost all of those cable companies suck. They charge an insane amount for TV. My grandma has had issues with Dish (not cable, but they behave similarly) charging her 50 or 60 dollars a month for literally the most basic thing you can get. 

Frankly, I'd much rather just stick with Hulu and Netflix. You can get both for literally a THIRD of the price of cable and they're on-demand, with as good if not better of a selection. I also do have my own cable box where I can get about five or six channels (I get CBS, NBC, and ABC, as well as a crime network, and some channel called "Quest" that occasionally has interesting shows) without a subscription, which is really nice because it's literally FREE TV.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

So they've gotten rid of cartoon network. Basically the only cable channel I watch. 100 channels of "reality" and reruns. Unfortunately there's no other way to get internet here but I want to quit paying for their tv.

I use an antenna but that's WAY more common here in Scotland,

We can use DVR with it but no clue about the US, you'd just need to look on-line and see, I know in Europe we can use DVRs!

I wish that companies wouldn't remove channels and still charge way too fucking much for the same shit repeated all the time.

(edited)

If you want to keep watching Cartoon Network, then I recommend Sling TV. It's a live TV streaming service that has CN in their basic package, which only costs $20 a month. For another $5 a month, you can get a DVR. Though if you want to watch broadcast networks, they don't have much in the way of that. They offer extra packages with broadcast being one of them for $5 a month, but all they have is ABC (and even then, it says "Select Markets" under the ABC logo), Univision, and UniMás. And I don't know enough about antennas to help with that, though I didn't think they seemed like something you can record stuff on. In any case, I'll link Sling's website.
https://www.sling.com

11 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Did they get rid of it, or move it to a more costly package?

It was moved to a higher package. I have digital at home and can still watch CN, but the break room TV at my work only has basic channels and when I try to watch CN on it now, it says it requires a subscription service.

Edited by PinkiePie97

13 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Did they get rid of it, or move it to a more costly package? I'm just curious. We "Cut the cable" several years ago. I'm lucky. My house is close enough to a public wifi net where I don't have to pay anyone for internet. I just had to buy an external wifi dongle with a good antenna.  Now I get a "good" to "excellent" signal for free!

I just download any shows I want to watch.

(I know some ways!)

I have an antenna for the TV, but reception isn't that great. I live fairly close to a military base. Whenever the Big Birds fly over my house, my signal gets blocked!

My family did the same over a year ago -- except we still need paid Internet (Charter).