Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Tundercats Roar

Plonkett

Just now, vgmaster9 said:

I don't really watch Thundercats, but goddamn...

I haven't seen it in a long time, but I used to watch it when it first came out.  This remake looks awful, and going by Cartoon Network's previous record with remaking franchises it seems likely that it will turn out to be as bad as it looks.

Cartoon Network are perfectly capable of making good, original cartoons.  Just look at Adventure Time, The Amazing World of Gumball, Regular Show and compare them to their attempts at franchise remakes such as Teen Titans Go and The Powerpuff Girls.  They really should stick to what they're good at.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Let's be real, even if it turns out to be not be a good show, it isn't the end of the world.  Your childhood isn't ruined, nor is the Thundercats franchise.  I mean its not like the other 2 shows were wiped off the face of the earth and this new one is the only part of the franchise left.  At the very least it already has more fluid animation than the OG Thundercats series had, or the very least outside of it's intro.  Which let's be honest, was the only part of the 1985 cartoon that had decent animation.

Given how obnoxious the discourse surrounding the show is currently, especially with fanboys harassing and sending death threats to the people working on it, I hope that it ends up being really good if only to shut them up.

Edited by cmarston1

1 minute ago, cmarston1 said:

Let's be real, even if it turns out to be not be a good show, it isn't the end of the world.  Your childhood isn't ruined, nor is the Thundercats franchise.  I mean its not like the other 2 shows were wiped off the face of the earth and this new one is the only part of the franchise left.

Too many people don't seem to understand this basic concept, that the new does not overwrite the old but is rather added to it.  I think that this new installment looks like utter dog-toffee but I'm certainly not under any kind of impression that this can somehow retroactively contaminate my childhood.

4 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

Given how obnoxious the discourse surrounding the show is currently, especially with fanboys harassing and sending death threats to the people working on it,

I'm sure I'm guilty of contributing to that discourse, even I lack any significant reach or influence, I have expressed my feelings on various other platforms, although I would never go far as to harass or threaten anyone involved, that kind of behaviour is entirely reprehensible, It is after all only a cartoon.

13 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

I hope that it ends up being really good if only to shut them up.

Sadly even if it does turn out to be good the most vociferous critics will not admit to that, and in exactly the same way those that are most staunchly defending it will never admit that it's terrible if it turns out to be so.  People have a tendency to become entrenched in their views of such things and will only very reluctantly change their minds.

As for myself, I don't currently have regular access to Cartoon Network, but I may give it a watch if the opportunity presents itself.

• Brohoof 2

Looks like a fairly typical cliche cartoon of the modern era, which is iornic since Thundercats was a fairly typical cliche cartoon of the 80's era. Granted, I have not watched any thundercats in my life, but from what it seems, the old show was most likely better. 

• Brohoof 2

43 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

Let's be real, even if it turns out to be not be a good show, it isn't the end of the world.  Your childhood isn't ruined, nor is the Thundercats franchise.  I mean its not like the other 2 shows were wiped off the face of the earth and this new one is the only part of the franchise left.  At the very least it already has more fluid animation than the OG Thundercats series had, or the very least outside of it's intro.  Which let's be honest, was the only part of the 1985 cartoon that had decent animation.

Given how obnoxious the discourse surrounding the show is currently, especially with fanboys harassing and sending death threats to the people working on it, I hope that it ends up being really good if only to shut them up.

You've entered the wrong thread 3Y6uKBJ.png

Guys, we're not allowed to express our distaste for yellow dried poop dolls made by soy boys who aren't able to separate action from millennial pseudo-humor with loud and colorful effects that are enjoyed by only the youngest of children. There are death threats involved! Shame on us for belonging into the same opinion group as those bloodthirsty (Alt-Right Nazi) animals! Shame on us for getting strawmanned by ruined-your-childhood non-argument! We better shut up or Captain Tolerance over here's gonna go all moral superiority on our assess!

You wanna make an argument for this piece of crap? Go ahead. Let's speculate on the financial benefits. Let's observe the waning popularity of similar shows. How about we remove the old animation smokescreen and write a word or two about the flavor and target audience? Square up!

P.S: This shit ruined my childhood. Does anyone have some duct tape? 3Y6uKBJ.png

No matter what they do with it, nobody will be happy. Keep it the same as it was before? "It's the same thing! Do something different!" Make any kind of change? "This isn't the ThunderCats I know! Childhood ruined!"

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

You've entered the wrong thread 3Y6uKBJ.png

Guys, we're not allowed to express our distaste for yellow dried poop dolls made by soy boys who aren't able to separate action from millennial pseudo-humor with loud and colorful effects that are enjoyed by only the youngest of children. There are death threats involved! Shame on us for belonging into the same opinion group as those bloodthirsty (Alt-Right Nazi) animals! Shame on us for getting strawmanned by ruined-your-childhood non-argument! We better shut up or Captain Tolerance over here's gonna go all moral superiority on our assess!

You wanna make an argument for this piece of crap? Go ahead. Let's speculate on the financial benefits. Let's observe the waning popularity of similar shows. How about we remove the old animation smokescreen and write a word or two about the flavor and target audience? Square up!

P.S: This shit ruined my childhood. Does anyone have some duct tape? 3Y6uKBJ.png

I am not saying that people have to like this.   No one has to like it or think it is the best thing ever.  What I am saying is that it is not okay to be a jerks to the people working on it because you don't like the way it looks. If someone doesn't like Roar, then more power to them, as long as they aren't jerks about it, then I can respect their opinion.

This screams of basically being the Radical Heights of cartoons, AKA this is doing what Radical Heights did: try to cash in on a current trend in a growing ocean of similar entries and become bound to fail.

Sorry, but while this could be a financial success in the way that Teen Titans Go is, it will definitely be a critical and fan failure. It's the principal of chasing the small money in the short term. Do whatever it takes to get as much moolah in a short period with the least amount of effort, but then you burn the bridges with your longtime fans so once those easily amused nitwits you are fleecing move onto something else, you are left with nothing because you pushed your truly loyal audience away.

Sad... I knew CN's success wouldn't last. SU has ironically become a cancer, and while the network once sought out new talent and ideas, they have now decided to stiple diversity and push every show to be more like SU so we're left with a ton of SU clones.

It's going to be awkward seeing how this new iteration turns out considering that I've watched the entirety of the original series--I even own the entire DVD collection.

2 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

I am not saying that people have to like this.   No one has to like it or think it is the best thing ever.  What I am saying is that it is not okay to be a jerks to the people working on it because you don't like the way it looks. If someone doesn't like Roar, then more power to them, as long as they aren't jerks about it, then I can respect their opinion.

Receiving death threats? Call the police. That's that.

Getting blasted by angry fans cause you completely changed everything beyond the point of recognition? Get rekt son! What they did to Thundercats is like turning Pokemon into a gritty dystopian future about animal fights, sex, drugs, and violence, and then acting like it's the same old continuation of the original show. Well, at least that would have an art style that doesn't remind one of Secret Mountain Fort Awesome. They look like monkeys with elephantiasis.

• Brohoof 1

So a few articles are trying to claim that people only don't like it because they are older now and thus "out of touch" but sorry... That isn't an argument. MLP was loved by adult and child fans alike, clearly showing that you can make something that appeals to both and then when adults don't like it's it's not just "I am old and out of date with the youth and what is cool now!"

Furthermore I heard from somewhere that the creator of this show actually has said that he didn't like the original that much and he wanted to change it. He also admits in the reveal that he's never seen the entire show either.

Hiring someone who isn't 100% familiar with the original... Off to a great start.

18 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

Furthermore I heard from somewhere that the creator of this show actually has said that he didn't like the original that much and he wanted to change it.

I'm not sure where you heard that, but the producer (who I believe is who you're referring to) says in the video in the opening post that he's a fan of the original and watched a bunch of it when he was a kid.

Just now, PinkiePie97 said:

I'm not sure where you heard that, but the producer (who I believe is who you're referring to) says in the video in the opening post that he's a fan of the original and watched a bunch of it when he was a kid.

Yeah see "whole bunch" and then he said his brother watched it more than him. So that is kind of an indirect admission. Also hearing other people saying he's said things that contradict him being a "fan" of it.

I really never cares much for Thundercats as a kid but this kills it. What's next, He-Man? 

The problem with shows like this and TTG is that they're not like FiM or Mario, franchises made for kids but happen to have adult followings, these franchises do cater to adults in one way or another, whether it be through other mediums like movies or comics. So these do feel drastic and would be better suited for side shows while a main show airs. Not to mention they could have easily looked for a good middle ground like with the original Teen Titans. On that tangent, the biggest hurdle with these shows is that they're follow ups to shows that, not only lots of people and fans loved, but are pretty much unfinished, and instead are followed up with shows that, lets be honest, most people don't really want. In contrast, Transformers Animated was judged harshly at first because its artstyle turned lots of people off(especially coming off the insanely successful movie), however Beast Wars, G1 and the Unicron Trilogy finished the stories they wanted to tell, so if it sucked they could just can it and start fresh. In an cruel twist of fate, the show wound up being great but was cancelled prematurely. Yet it's follow up, Transformers Prime, seems to get a free pass from drama because it was still something lots of TF fans still wanted to see in a Transformers show