Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

science How would life be different, if humans had flammable blood?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

Say, if humans (or a race of humans/mutants) had a mutation that caused their blood to be flammable, how would it affect their society and their daily life (e.g. in ancient, medieval, and modern times)? And how do you think it would affect relations between firebloods and non-firebloods?

They'd all be dead. If you burned yourself on accident you might light up. If you were wounded during a battle and they had to cauterize the wound, you might burst into flames. People have a long history of singling others out, so flammable blood would likely be interpreted as you being evil, and because you can test people with a hot needle or a candle, rather than blindly accuse random civilians, you can much more effectively seek these people out, so we'd see a witch hunt unlike any seen before at some point. In some instances these people may be worshipped, but at some point some invader will come about and take advantage of your inherited vulnerability. There have been so many persecutions and mass killings of specific people groups, most notably the Holocaust by Nazi Germany of Jews, Slavs, homosexuals, ect, and others within the past century alone, hell I think there's two or three happening right now, that I'm certain people with flammable blood would have been wiped out.

• Brohoof 4

It would be like it is in the X-Men movies. Some would regard it with fear and suspicion while others considered it a cool gift to be used for the greater good. I'm sure there would be some people who would abuse that kind of ability and unfortunately that's what everyone would focus on. So ultimately there would be some restrictive law governing the uses of such an attribute. Those who had it would wisely keep it to themselves unless it was necessary to do otherwise. 

Random question...  What happens to those of us that get periods?  Or does our skin have some sort of protection against our blood?  Because, that just sounds painful otherwise.

On 5/23/2018 at 5:07 AM, Thuja said:

Random question...  What happens to those of us that get periods?  Or does our skin have some sort of protection against our blood?  Because, that just sounds painful otherwise.

I thought that they would especially avoid fire when they menstruate, and try to wash blood from their hands before handling anything with fire.

Well hon, to be quite honest-----while humans aren't technically made only out of flammable chemicals... humans are pretty darn flammable. Someone lights you on fire, you burn. Blood "flammable" or not. I don't wana knock your creativity, but why is this even a question??

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 2:23 AM, King Blanketfort said:

Well hon, to be quite honest-----while humans aren't technically made only out of flammable chemicals... humans are pretty darn flammable. Someone lights you on fire, you burn. Blood "flammable" or not. I don't wana knock your creativity, but why is this even a question??

I meant if blood is as easily combustible as gasoline.

Hmm... You made me think about this in a totally different way... Do you think there could be People with such a Mutation living in our world, just not knowing that they

could burn to death practically anytime? I mean, there are many odd unsolved cases of spontaneous human combustion that have never been solved, and there are still many

mysteries out there that mankind still has to uncover, soooo....

• 11 months later...

I highly doubt we would be here. I mean think about it. It’s a boiling hot summer day, you’re doing yard work or something and the sun is beating down on you....

I dunno, just doesn’t seem like anyone would survive here if they had flammable blood.