Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Default Profile Picture

Rikifive

(edited)

Hello everypony!

I've been wondering on something for some time... If I recall correctly, there was a ponified default profile picture, that was set for users, who didn't have their custom avatar set. What happened to it? :derp: 

Now if you'll take a look at newcomers, you see this:

Id18c3j.png

---which is the IPB very default 'default photo' with a mysterious shape of unknown monster. The problem is, that I'm worried about Rarity... Just look at her...

cDOENZT.png

We cannot let Rarity suffer like this, can we? :rarity: 

I think that ponified default photo was a nice little detail, that welcomed new users. :) 

I don't remember how exactly it looked like, but even something like this would be nice. :P 

jtynsCc.png

Now this is something familiar! :yay: 

Eventually with a different background color?

Spoiler

yvQpSip.png MLPF Logo Color

LnXNrjE.png MLPF Logo Color Dark

rwOrhv1.png Pixel's Touch; AKA The Color of Poniverse

q5Ny9lp.png Color took from the forums' background, sky, that is. sCjjasf.png

It's not a complaint of course, nor anything like this - just a question/suggestion. :muffins: 

Either way, Rarity, what would you say to this?

Hq9Fro1.png

Everything is worth that smile, don't you think? :wub: 

Thank you for reading! :D 

UPDATE:

As suggested below, here is one with buffy:

wgsXITB.png

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 10

Yeah, I actually think that this would be a nice touch. :grin: Sure, it's not needed by any stretch of the imagination, but it would certainly be more appealing.

I have a hunch that this is probably something to do with the program that the site is run on, though; this isn't the first time I've seen that default photo, so it's probably embedded into the site's code. This is probably wrong, though; I have no idea what I'm talking about. :lie:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yeah, there should definitely be a ponified default picture. Personally, I think it should be based on either Buffy or Pixel, though. Nothing against Pinkie Pie, but, it would be cool to have a default pic based on one of the mascots here.

Edited by Nightfall Gloam
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)
13 minutes ago, The Recherche said:

Yeah, I actually think that this would be a nice touch. :grin: Sure, it's not needed by any stretch of the imagination, but it would certainly be more appealing.

I have a hunch that this is probably something to do with the program that the site is run on, though; this isn't the first time I've seen that default photo, so it's probably embedded into the site's code. This is probably wrong, though; I have no idea what I'm talking about. :lie:

It would suit these forums much better than the current default one, that is completely out of place. :derp: 

Don't worry about this; it is totally possible to change the default profile picture in this forum software, without any black magic (coding) needed. :P And as you said, there was a custom default picture set before. ;) 

10 minutes ago, PiratePony said:

@Rikifive if this could be possible it was be amazing! 

:yay: 

8 minutes ago, Nightfall Gloam said:

Yeah, there should definitely be a ponified default picture. Personally, I think it should be based on either Buffy or Pixel, though. Nothing against Pinkie Pie, but, it would be cool to have a default pic based on one of the mascots here.

This is actually a really good idea. I took Pinkie Pie because she has the most iconic mane for purposes like this in my opinion, but yeah, I think Buffy would be a much better choice here. I may make one with her if needed.

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

This is actually a really good idea. I took Pinkie Pie because she has the most iconic mane for purposes like this in my opinion, but yeah, I think Buffy would be a much better choice here. I may make one with her if needed.

Why not Zoidberg?

You could always choose Discord ;x. There's not enough of him around anyway. Tho just a personal preference really.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

@Nightfall Gloam Here is one with Buffy. c:

wgsXITB.png

Based on this reference:
sig_4238451_sig_4238451_sig_4238451_sig_

Example:

gOnlMqz.png

or perhaps with Buffy-themed background?
XO4fEWy.png

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 6

lol I am still very new but even I thought it was sorta surprising there weren't any pony themed default avatar. Sounds like a good idea to have.

• Brohoof 2

This is easy enough to do. 

@Rikifive PM an Admin. They may have access to the files to do this. @LadyMercury probably does. This is a great suggestion and I miss the old default pony silhouette. 

• Brohoof 2

@Jeric Yeah it is, though I didn't want to poke them like this, just wanted to share the idea on which things could be decided afterwards. :P Now that you have mentioned her, it will be enough I think? -- but I could send a PM too I suppose.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, meme said:

In case anyone wants it, this is the old default:

I liked this version of the default avatar much more so I'd certainly like to see it come back! The site is already very much MLP-themed but the avatar made it so much more "pony".

9 hours ago, meme said:

In case anyone wants it, this is the old default:

default_large.png.202411ee1f5274f33d51dd239c0a9842.png

Oh yeah, now I remember! :D

• Brohoof 1

I have to say that those pictures Riki suggested may actually be better than that old ponified default profile pic. Rici's suggestions look more clear and distinct than older version, at least IMO

Nevertheless, anything is better than this current one :P

• Brohoof 2

I had a default avatar of buffy made up for implementation:

BuffySilhouette.png.06b4fe9a79cc12730e92da473a09c8c7.png

But I think it fell through the cracks. It's not something the regular admins can do, as it's not part of the admin control panel. A tech admin has to actually upload the file into the backend.

• Brohoof 5

I see. It could be changed within admin control panel as long as the admin would have an access to theme settings. Either way, it's none of my business, so ignore that. :P

That's a tiny detail, yet really nice to have. :derp:

@Rikifive Yes, the IP.B default has always seemed a little out of place to me... I'll poke our tech-heads and see about getting it replaced. @Fhaolan's variation with Buffy, I'm particularly keen on. :sunbutt:

Would there be any objections to that?

• Brohoof 1

Done and done. 

Thank you @Rikifive for the suggestion. Thank you @Fhaolan for actually whipping that Buffy up. Thank you @Dark Horse for bringing this up on Discord. Thank you to everypone in here that commented your support for this idea. And Thank Rarity that I didn't break anything in the Themes system .... yet. 

• Brohoof 8

Yay! :yay: Now it's much better. :derp: Good job! :pout:

Next Task: Force admins to fix that messenger :dash:

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

It looks great!

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Done and done. 

Thank you @Rikifive for the suggestion. Thank you @Fhaolan for actually whipping that Buffy up. Thank you @Dark Horse for bringing this up on Discord. Thank you to everypone in here that commented your support for this idea. And Thank Rarity that I didn't break anything in the Themes system .... yet. 

And don't forget to thank @Nightfall Gloam for the Buffy idea! :P 

Edited by Wightling
  • Brohoof 2