Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Issuse with how this site is working.

CHA0SXIII

Alright, first off I want to make this as clear as I can before proceeding, I love this sit I really do and it's important to me, but I've got some issues with how it functions (and for the record, I don't know if these are bugs or if they're supposed to be 'features' hints the tags).

1. Why do my posts keep combining, and is there a way to disable it? It's becoming downright obnoxious, I get that it may be some attempt to prevent people from spamming on a topic, but there has to be a better way.

2. Can we get some more notification options so we don't have to get all the things we're tracking notified the exact same way?

3. Trying to type on here is kinda badly broken. I've actually had to retype this on something else, then copy and past it onto here, which is ridiculous.

4. If these have already been covered elsewhere on here, you'll have to forgive me, as trying to look up anything via the on-site search bar served only to randomize the topics already listed, and no one should have to look through 100+ topics just to check that sort of thing out when that's what the search bar is supposed to be for.

Sorry if I'm coming off as harsh I don't mean to be, it's just that I've been dealing with these problems for a while now, and a response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

(edited)

1. No way to disable that as far as I'm aware. The only time it doesn't happen is if there is a large wait between your first post and the second. Best just to get all your thoughts out in one go. If you have to indicate your second post is an afterthought, I just post EDIT or UPDATE first.

2. I wouldn’t mind this. I would especially like to keep people from mentioning me if they regularly vistit the "Boop a Snoot" and "Cuddle War" threads.

3. I haven't had that problem. Could you share more details on how it's "broken"? What's it doing?

Edited by ShadOBabe

(edited)

1. It can be disabled, but that is a global setting, so it would apply to everyone and yes, it is set to prevent users from spamming, why do you have a need to disable it? There is a timer set as mentioned above, so if that bothers you, then that means you're trying to make two posts one after another in a short period of time (though not sure for how long exactly it is set) -- why? That's how 'foruming' works; one user posts after another, rather than talk using multiple messages like it tends to be in live-chats. :P The staff (admins) would be able to tell more details, such as how long exactly you have to wait to prevent your posts from merging. 

2. I'm afraid what you can set in the notification settings is all the forum software can offer. Adding more options would require struggling with code, which I doubt will happen, as there are other things requiring 'fixing' first. :twi: 

3. Yep, the text editor has some bugs in it, but what exactly is broken for you? I'm aware of many bugs there, but just typing should work well; the problems start when formatting kicks in.

4. No need to worry, it's fine. It just requires things named differently in order to make them hard to find with that feature, due to not being able to come up with correct keywords. -- or what you're looking for simply doesn't exist. Either way, there's nothing wrong with asking questions - looking for answers on your own may take a while, where asking may bring you them faster thanks to 'experienced' users, who have been on the site for a while and more importantly - STAFF members. Besides, you'll most likely get more accurate answers that way, as these will be up-to-date, rather than what you could find in some old threads. That's what this section is for! ;) 

Hope that helps! :) 

Edited by Rikifive

14 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

3. I haven't had that problem. Could you share more details on how it's "broken"? What's it doing?

@ShadOBabe Well, when a post I tried to make combined with another post that I'd made (both having pictures) in order to remove the second picture I had to completely delete it from the on-site list of 'existing attachments' to do so - not just delete it from the post, but from the website outright. On top of this when I first tried to make this post, and space the issues out, upon clicking enter it erased everything but the last four words (lately emots have started doing the same thing half the time) and I had to retype the whole thing on TextNote, then copy/past it onto here. Those are just the ones I know about thus far.

10 hours ago, Rikifive said:

1. It can be disabled, but that is a global setting, so it would apply to everyone and yes, it is set to prevent users from spamming, why do you have a need to disable it? There is a timer set as mentioned above, so if that bothers you, then that means you're trying to make two posts one after another in a short period of time (though not sure for how long exactly it is set) -- why? That's how 'foruming' works; one user posts after another, rather than talk using multiple messages like it tends to be in live-chats. :P The staff (admins) would be able to tell more details, such as how long exactly you have to wait to prevent your posts from merging. 

2. I'm afraid what you can set in the notification settings is all the forum software can offer. Adding more options would require struggling with code, which I doubt will happen, as there are other things requiring 'fixing' first. :twi: 

3. Yep, the text editor has some bugs in it, but what exactly is broken for you? I'm aware of many bugs there, but just typing should work well; the problems start when formatting kicks in.

4. No need to worry, it's fine. It just requires things named differently in order to make them hard to find with that feature, due to not being able to come up with correct keywords. -- or what you're looking for simply doesn't exist. Either way, there's nothing wrong with asking questions - looking for answers on your own may take a while, where asking may bring you them faster thanks to 'experienced' users, who have been on the site for a while and more importantly - STAFF members. Besides, you'll most likely get more accurate answers that way, as these will be up-to-date, rather than what you could find in some old threads. That's what this section is for! ;) 

Hope that helps! :) 

@Rikifive

1. Fair enough, it's just I'd wanted to post something separate from the first post, and didn't want to alter the first one and risk confusing people who'd already seen the original version or something. Is there any chance we could get some kind of timer or bar for a sort of 'cooldown meter' to keep track of that kind of thing?

2. I understand I'm just happy I know the why of it.

3. See the above response to ShadOBabe.

4. I typed 'combined post' in the search bar three times. The third time I did this it finally said 'no results found' (paraphrasing there a bit), but the first two times it was literally the first page of the Tech Support section, just with a few topics having switched places. Just seems really weird.

Thank you both for responding. Sorry again if I came off as hostile toward you or anyone else, I've just been dealing with a lot of tech issues lately (mostly from microsoft & google) and I'm kind of badly stressed out right now. Thank you again.   

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@CHA0SXIII Yeah, editing is something users may not notice when they'll load the page before the edit. There are pros and cons with this, that's true. Nevertheless, the forums are one of the slower form of communication, so you can take your time with replying - you'll have to get used to it and think twice before posting. For example, there's no way to edit e-mails after they're sent -- at all, so it still is nice, that here you can edit the posts. :derp: As for the meter- it probably would be possible, but that would require some advanced magic with site code. Besides, that kind of meter would be suggesting, that you are allowed to post combos after you wait that moment it counts down, which isn't really true. Double posting is something, that should be avoided in general, similar to e-mails, so there's no need to have that displayed all the time. That fancy bar telling you, that you can put another post could be misleading. I guess the best option is to ask admins how long exactly you need to wait to avoid merging, assuming, that you'd have a good reason for that and you'll be allowed to do so. There has to be a reason why it was set that way.

In regards to issues with posting

The attachments just work that way. ;) 

If you'll add an attachment to the post, you can specify where exactly you want to put it by manually adding it to the post. If you'll not do that, it will be automatically embedded at the end of the post. Similar to e-mails, it will send the files you attached. To get rid of the file (image in your case) from the post, you need to remove the whole attachment from it.
Every single attachment is stored in the contents themselves, rather than directly in your account, which doesn't make it a reliable way to store contents

You can view your attachments here. (click your username at the upper-right corner and select "My Attachments")
There you have a list of all files you have attached. As you can see to the right, each attachment points to the thread it was posted in, which basically is its 'home'.

Now once uploaded, you can reuse that attachment in next posts from now on, by selecting "Insert existing attachment".
OioupA5.png
Doing so will set a new home for that attachment - to the thread you'll post it in again.

If home-post will no longer be available or you'll decide to remove the attachment from there (basically the source of that file will be gone), it will permanently remove it from all places it was posted in, leaving these in return:
NBZUFOp.png 

To remove the attachment only from home-post, you'd have to make a post somewhere else, insert it, thus set a new home, then go back and remove it from where you wanted safely. Sounds funny, because it is funny. :muffins: 

So be careful with this.

Generally I don't recommend using attachments. It requires way more work to configure them properly, but it all depends on what you need and your preferences. All I can say is, that I always had problems with these; organization-wise. Back then MLPForums kinda forced us to use attachments due to limit of offsite images allowed to embed in a single post, so I had a chance to try it out... I have only regrets. I'm so happy it's gone now. :pout:
Instead of that, I suggest uploading your images to image-hosing sites, such as Imgur, then simply put their direct links in the post, which will automatically turn them into images, without any weird magic happening behind that process. :P 

Spoiler

Xx15oWN.png

This makes managing images way easier, what's more, you can post them pretty much everywhere (even outside of the forums) without having to worry about the source (that home, as I was referring to it before), as it will stay there, on Imgur. I'm using it for around 3 years, almost hitting 3000 uploaded images, never had any issues. :catface: 

For mobile devices though, I imagine using attachments is simpler than having to upload it to external sites first. As I said, it depends on preferences, so it is up to you decide. :) 

6 hours ago, CHA0SXIII said:

On top of this when I first tried to make this post, and space the issues out, upon clicking enter it erased everything but the last four words

This is the moment where I'd like to see that. Hard to tell anything. Perhaps the contents were just highlighted? In that case, pressing enter would replace them with a new line - thus remove them.

Have you tried undoing this?

Either CTRL+Z key combination, or the button in the toolbar

Spoiler

mHoWHME.png

That would go back by one action, which could bring your contents back. ---- unless undo function would break, because it happens, but that's another story. :icwudt:

Give it another try - if things will be happening again, feel free to poke me with details; maybe we'll be able to pinpoint the problem. :) 

6 hours ago, CHA0SXIII said:

4. I typed 'combined post' in the search bar three times. The third time I did this it finally said 'no results found' (paraphrasing there a bit), but the first two times it was literally the first page of the Tech Support section, just with a few topics having switched places. Just seems really weird.

It just tries to find results with the keywords you've put. Sometimes it may be hard to find something when not knowing how users named/described the things you're looking for.

Either way "merging" is the word you should look for and actually it did the job when put in the search box; it pointed these threads:
Stop merging PMs?
Merging messagss
Post merging methods

--That happen to be related to what you were looking for. ;) 

Oh it's fine, don't you worry. :fluttershy: I know that feel. :P 

Hope that helps and sorry for that wall of text, that's just me... as always..  :derp: 

Edited by Rikifive

OioupA5.png

But it was on my profile that I added the pic originally, and to remove it from my post I had to completely remove it from my existing attachments.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            I made sure the contents were not highlight and I know how to restor what I've typed, infact while wrighting this it did it again and I have to use the space bar instead.

Sorry, not trying to sound pushy or ungrateful @Rikifive, just seems like this stuff is working for everyone but me. :unsure:

(also I'm really bad about text walls myself)    

(edited)

Which could explain things I think. As I said, the attachments are stored in the contents themselves and let's assume, that you have uploaded that attachment somewhere else before, for example, in profile page, now if you inserted that existing attachment to the recent post you made, it automatically became its 'home' and now was stored in the post you just made, rather than the profile page. In that case, you can easily remove the attachment from any other post (profile page), but the one you just made will be more tricky, as it stores that file, unlike the previous posts.

If the post stores any attachments, you'll see them at the bottom of the editor. You can easily remove them by clicking the trash can icon:
GdHmEWd.png

But be aware, that it will permanently remove them from all places it was posted in, leaving these in return*:
NBZUFOp.png 

In our example, that would happen to your profile page, where it was originally posted.

* - However, MLPF captures the images you post and stores them on its own, so previously posted attachments may survive, at least for some time.

That's why attachments are tricky to work with.

19 hours ago, CHA0SXIII said:

I made sure the contents were not highlight and I know how to restor what I've typed, infact while wrighting this it did it again and I have to use the space bar instead.

But this... I admit I have no idea what's happening. This is the very first time I heard about that issue... I kinda can't even believe in this to be honest. :derp: You'd have to tell what is happening step-by-step to help me recreate that issue.

So if you know about undo, did it fail? You didn't specify what happened, only mentioned, that you had to retype everything.
If everything suddenly disappears and undo doesn't work, try refreshing the page, perhaps it will restore the contents, as the editor autosaves your drafts every once in a while when you're typing.

Just of curiosity, may I ask which browser you're using? Desktop or mobile?

19 hours ago, CHA0SXIII said:

Sorry, not trying to sound pushy or ungrateful @Rikifive, just seems like this stuff is working for everyone but me. :unsure:

Yeah you should be ashamed! :lol: 

Just kidding, don't you worry, it's all fine. ;) I understand you may be frustrated by what happens. :fluttershy:

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 1

• The topic was locked