Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Garble playing with fire by bullying Spike?

ggg-2

(edited)

Bad pun aside, i really want to see Garble's bullying to come back to bite him HARD. Spike is not only friends with the entire Equestrian royal family (at least one of whom having LITERALLY raised him), he's close personal friends with Ember, who probably wouldn't have become Dragon Lord without him and as such, he was named the official friendship ambassador to the dragons. Garble knows both of these things as fact.

Edited by ggg-2

Only if he continues to do so, but he doe shave respect for dragon authority and customs at least, otherwise when Spike was briefly the Dragon Lord, he wouldn't have listened. And punishment he would recieve for it though will decrease as Ember learns more about friendship. Something along the lines of being properly locked up or banished would only result if he did something drastic like attempted murder or full on assault. Garble had respect for Spike after he had proved himself in "Dragon quest". Garble only needs to spend time with ponies and maybe other creatures long enough o see them accomplish something that'd be worthy of his praise, and he might lighten up.

• Brohoof 1

Oddly enough I also think Spike will be one of the strongest dragons yet. As a "baby" he has done some incredible things that even a teenage dragon like Garble might have trouble with. 
If the show was even a tiny bit darker I could see Spike after a while finally showing Garble who is boss.

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, A.V. said:

Not to mention Spike even has an official title: Friendship Ambassador.

Garble's playing with international fire, no less.

Ooh yeah, i forgot about the ambassador part.

9 hours ago, ggg-2 said:

Bad pun aside, i really want to see Garble's bullying to come back to bite him HARD. Spike is not only friends with the entire Equestrian royal family (at least one of whom having LITERALLY raised him), he's close personal friends with Ember, who probably wouldn't have become Dragon Lord without him and as such, he was named the official friendship ambassador to the dragons. Garble knows both of these things as fact.

seeing as how Garble is willing to obey dragon customs, I suspect that Ember will order him to be sentenced to reformation in Ponyville, to live 'as a pony' and learn their ways

Nobody likes beta orbiters who scream bully at every display of male dominance. If this was shounen Garble would join mc's group after they had beaten the crap out of each other. Fiction aside, Garble ain't that different from young men IRL, young men who now listen to grey old professors on YT since everyone else is busy painting them as villains.

On the other appendage, what most of you are displaying in this thread is nothing more than calculated savagery stewed in weakness. Keep telling yourself that all those suggestions are for the greater good of friendship. Normal people would not see it like that. Normal people would see you as the actual bullies. Now go write another soapbox about how clop is ruining the fandom or something.

What these dragons need is not friendshism. They need a wise old dragon lord who gives a shit. Too bad you don't become one by winning a stick from a crummy obstacle course.

(edited)
19 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

Nobody likes beta orbiters who scream bully at every display of male dominance. 

What Garble does is actually bullying, though.

Fiction aside, Garble ain't that different from young men IRL, young men who now listen to grey old professors on YT since everyone else is busy painting them as villains.

This doesn’t excuse anything.

On the other appendage, what most of you are displaying in this thread is nothing more than calculated savagery stewed in weakness. Keep telling yourself that all those suggestions are for the greater good of friendship. Normal people would not see it like that. Normal people would see you as the actual bullies. 

You do understand that this paragraph is implying that you think standing up to a bully is just as bad, if not worse, than being an actual bully, right?

How is wanting bullies to face consequences for their actions and actually learn their lesson, even if it means the hard way “calculated savagery stewed in weakness”?

The OP never attacked male dominance. NO ONE is attacking male dominance. This thread is about wanting to see a problematic asshole face consequences for his actions.

Edited by BlackPony
  • Brohoof 1

I miss the days when people weren't so sensitive about bullying. People bullied me, I learned to get tough and I didn't grow up to be a serial killer. If you spend your life basically getting mad anyone is shown to be unreasonably mean you are going to hate when you get a job lol.

9 minutes ago, BlackPony said:

How is wanting bullies to face consequences for their actions and actually learn their lesson, even if it means the hard way “calculated savagery stewed in weakness”?

I think what Goat is implying is that it's unrealistic to expect it and doing so is kind of just showing your own inability to deal with bullying yourself. The reality is: most "bullies" don't face retribution. Wait until you are out in the real world and some dickhead snakes a job from you because he was mates with someone who worked there and flips you off when he sees you. Then watch as he becomes VP of the company and never really gets retribution for being a dickhead to you.

What Goat is implying is that you have to accept the reality that not everyone who wrongs another person will face consequences and expecting it in a TV show for every character who has done wrong is... Not gonna lie... Pretty weak. It kind of shows that you have an expectation of anyone who wrongs you or someone you care about to always face justice and you don't want to accept the reality that sometimes... bad people get away with stuff and that someone being a dick to one person doesn't inherently make them a bad person either.

I am just interpreting though. I am pretty sure that's what he's getting at.

That being said... Goat isn't inherently entirely wrong in most regards here:

Nobody likes beta orbiters who scream bully at every display of male dominance.

Male dominance is being regularly shunned these days as a bad thing for sure.

If this was shounen Garble would join mc's group after they had beaten the crap out of each other.

Yeah that's the other thing, I remember in Yu Yu Hakusho where a member joins their group after regularly getting into fights with Yusuke and stating "that's not why men fight, we fight because we want to become stronger people, we fight so we can get stronger to protect what's really important" and the entire show demonstrates that comradery and passion. Yusuke's love of fighting and competitiveness ignites a fire in everyone around him, pushing them all to better themselves and be stronger so they can take care of what is important. That USED to be a good message: telling men to use their strength to take care of what matters.

Goat is pointing out here that the old message of telling men to use their strength to fight for what is right is being lost nowadays where the only instances of male dominance in shows is basically just being used to portray men as bullies and nothing more. Comradery is now frowned upon.

Fiction aside, Garble ain't that different from young men IRL

A reality that most don't want to accept. It's true. Look no matter how much people don't want to admit it... Boys play rough sometimes. We smack talk in competitions and we like to toughen each other up. He is far from atypical.

18 minutes ago, BlackPony said:

The OP never attacked male dominance. NO ONE is attacking male dominance. This thread is about wanting to see a problematic asshole face consequences for his actions.

Isn't there enough of that in the show though? I mean if you want the show to be more true to real life AND have a great lesson for kids: make the bad guy get away with it sometimes. Tell kids that sometimes people are dickheads and don't get punished, but you learn to move on and get over it.

51 minutes ago, BlackPony said:

What Garble does is actually bullying, though.

This doesn’t excuse anything.

Garble is a typical hypercompetitive teenage boy who is asserting his dominance within his group of peers through fighting, competitions, and by doing unnecessarily dangerous and silly things. That also includes chasing after ponies, calling them names, and bragging about how he would totally destroy everything. He needs guidance from an older dragon, not some new age 1984 reeducation under duress.

1 hour ago, BlackPony said:

You do understand that this paragraph is implying that you think standing up to a bully is just as bad, if not worse, than being an actual bully, right?

Are we still talking about kids having fights or are we talking about mobsters breaking limbs in chop shops?

Now, you should stand up to a bully if you have what it takes to pull it off and make them respect you. And as far as punishment and education is concerned, this is mostly the domain of parents. Perhaps Garble should get grounded for some of his transgressions. Maybe spend an entire week cleaning up pumice or something. Young men also need their boundaries. It's just that these boundaries have become rather irrational.

• Brohoof 1

On 5/23/2018 at 7:38 PM, Goat-kun said:

And as far as punishment and education is concerned, this is mostly the domain of parents.

<insert whatever reaction gif or meme that you would find most appealing> 

I'm being lazy with my approval. This and ... 

On 5/23/2018 at 7:38 PM, Goat-kun said:

He needs guidance from an older dragon, not some new age 1984 reeducation under duress.

This ... this was the second time you mentioned that, but reinforcement tends to work with people so I'm quoting the two most important elements of your post again. While I'm rather apathetic on the whole Garble hatred vs Garble redemption debate, I can't ignore that much of what I see from him is typical behavior I witnessed from my friends growing up. I seriously doubt they all wound up being evil bastards worth being locked away or beating savagely. As one gains experience and deal with the real world, young boys tend to modify your behavior, especially if one has a role model. 

Otherwise there would be a greater amount of assholes walking around.