Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Is Fortnite Killing Other Games?

Thorgir the Mighty

Ok so I got on my Twitter,and I told 343 something,but he ReTweeted on,”Should be interesting to see where ALL games go now after Fortnite has changed the buisiness model completely.” I don’t know about you,but I think Fortnite is killing other Team games/solo games. Especially since Cod is trying to copy Fortnite by adding its “Blackout” mode. I mean,to me it’s killing off the other games but I’d like to hear your opinions! Also I found this video...

21 minutes ago, Manaka Hitomi said:

I dont even know what fornite is so I guess it doesnt have that much impact on system and after some searching it doesnt even look like even that good of a game.

It isn’t. It’s overhyped,and overrated! Most importantly it’s killing off our favorite games!

• Brohoof 1

Its an "okay" game, I personally find it repetitive, and this is coming from someone who's maxed rank in season 2. Like most trends it will eventually die when the next trendy thing come around. Also I'd have to disagree, I don't think Fortnite is killing team based games when we got games like Overwatch, and TF2 with hundreds of players still active. Also, could you elaborate on how Fortnite is killing solo based games? Those types of games have been dying off since the 6th generation of consoles (unless its Nintendo's).

4 hours ago, Manaka Hitomi said:

I dont even know what fornite is so I guess it doesnt have that much impact on system and after some searching it doesnt even look like even that good of a game.

It does have an impact on the system but in very specific and narrow field.

However, if OP wants to call it Fortnite, I'll call it PUBG. Or you know what? Let's raise the stakes. I call it ArmA II on which both of these games were based. Or whatever was before that.

Sure, Fortnite has influence on games and companies that value income and monetization over everything else. But what about MOBAs then? How many really good and enjoyable RTS have you found coming out in recent years? Only SC2 comes to my mind, you could say MOBAs murdelized RTS scene.

3 hours ago, Snow Frostflame said:

Also, could you elaborate on how Fortnite is killing solo based games? Those types of games have been dying off since the 6th generation of consoles (unless its Nintendo's).

NieR: Automata, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Witcher 3, Prey, Wolfenstein, Divinity, Breathe of the Wild, Total War series, Life is Strange, Injustice, Evil Within and Uncharted beg to differ. And this all is only from 2017, and I could keep going.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Like all other games, it will lose its popularity over time.

Besides, already about half the people that have replied dont even know Fortnite.

I have heard of Fortnite, but I dont know what its about and rn Im not interested.

Edited by Kitty_Cat
  • Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Passion said:

INieR: Automata, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Witcher 3, Prey, Wolfenstein, Divinity, Breathe of the Wild, Total War series, Life is Strange, Injustice, Evil Within and Uncharted beg to differ. And this all is only from 2017, and I could keep going.

First of all I didn't say they were going complete extinct, I said they were a dying breed, or dying out. As in there are more people interested in playing a game with their friends than a game with an interesting narrative

Secondly I'm pretty sure I said unless its Nintendo's.

And third this still doesn't explain how Fortnite is killing solo based games.

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Snow Frostflame said:

First of all I didn't say they were going complete extinct, I said they were a dying breed, or dying out. As in there are more people interested in playing a game with their friends than a game with an interesting narrative

Secondly I'm pretty sure I said unless its Nintendo's.

And third this still doesn't explain how Fortnite is killing solo based games.

#1 That's very subjective point of view. I know for sure that both me and vast majority of my friends enjoy single player games immensly, one of the reasons being that you both need to have time at the exact same moment to play a game, and in our age it's really hard to come by nowadays. Unless we have statistics to work here with, we can say anything we want about this and it will get us nowhere.

Maybe if you could provide me with a source or a stat page that could confirm your words for my insight? Just, if it's EA, tell me. I'll just drop the topic altogether.

#2 I do not understand. As far as my understanding of language goes, you have said that single player games are dying out on consoles which are not Nintendo, that they are not dying out on Nintendo. I've thrown PC in as well because it's also a major "console" of gaming.

#3 That's exactly the point, it doesn't. All that Fortnite did to single player games so far is taking away single player campaign from Black Ops 4, but that's Activision. Nothing less could be expected from them. Otherwise, Fortnite has no influence over single player games. We're on the same side here.

Still playing freelancer discovery, with over 400 players at any time at any point

weekdays and fridays it goes up to about 999 since thats the server limit. 

not bad for a 15 year old game

USSLuna fucks you all up with its 250k capital cannon. 

Nope. It's a fad that will most likely die out on a year or two in my opinion. They have very little room to move in terms of diversifying gameplay and because of this reason I feel the battle royale style will slowly become stale. Battle Royale games are just the latest in thing, just like how survival games were a few years ago.

I don't think so.  Mainly because it suffers from the James Cameron's Avatar effect, in which despite being really successful it has left virtually no impact on pop culture.

• 2 years later...