Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Around the world, why isn't the show broadcasting over terrestrial signals?

FirePuppy

I looked at the International broadcast page of the MLP wiki, and found out that with the exception of TV Tokyo in Japan (until 2014), the show only airs on satellite and cable television worldwide. What's up with that?

It just depends on who has bought the rights to air the show in each country. If I'm not mistaken, children's programs have been moved to pay channels in many countries. But it's not true of all countries – at least in Finland, it's shown on one of the main networks (though many episodes have premiered on a pay channel).

• Brohoof 3

I had to look this up because I didn't know what a terrestrial signal really was. I think my response to this would have to be how many people honestly still require an antenna for watching television, and do most media conglomerates still maintain that sort of set up? I live in an area controlled by Comcast so what they say goes except I don't even have cable.

I don't know why a company would continue airing a channel on what they might consider an obsolete means that only using users and losing profitability. I don't know anything about technology of any kind though so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I know it airs in a mexican broadcaster weekday mornings, don't know if the whole week though. I also don't know if they air the recent seasons, as they do in the cable channel; or if they air only old seasons, as they do with many other shows.

1 hour ago, Sherbert Music-Guard said:

I was just going to say TinyPop!

You. read. my. mind!

Egads, you know my powers! 

I must vanish across the UK airwaves ....

poof.jpg

We should all know it is not ever illegal for any country to broadcast MLP: FiM over terrestrial signals, since it's clearly a kid's show and not a television drama.

(edited)

Because the only channels you will receive over the air is the local channels that are located in your general area. What do you want a bunch of broadcasting towers with the hidden costs of maintenance, or a bunch of copper (most likely) cables that do loose the signal strength with distance? I am not sure if television companies support fiber optics signal.

Imagine your TV being similar to your smartphone, only now the television companies charging you with data caps, and, they dislike you for using their broadcasting towers because users are killing their bandwidth, and they are going to recommend to use your WiFi to stream your channels to save data. The really best part of it is that your TV is going to be sold by the cable companies and locked by the companies accordingly.

Edited by R.D.Dash