Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How bad is racism/sexism, etc in the MLP fandom?

ShadowSJG

So, I've noticed that some people have criticized the MLP fandom, saying it is toxic and things like racism/sexism are common in the fandom. In the past, I did post images of a racist member who appears to be somewhat prominent within the fandom and the fact that there appear to be people ok with this/turn a blind eye to it. These have got me wondering, just how bad is racism/sexism within the fandom?

• Brohoof 1

It’s bloody outrageous mate. People are saying Rainbow needs to be gender swapped and that a lot of people DRAW images of the ponies having *** and doing other things! It’s abominable that people draw 4 FEMALE ponies and make them have ***!

not really at all :ooh: though the fandom does attract all all colors so you sometimes get that occasional bad egg, however it's the most accepting and kindest fandom i know.

• Brohoof 5

I can say... From the time I was in the fandom and most of my female friends... This fandom kind of does treat women poorly a lot. I mean your mileage may vary, but women do get harassed a lot in a fandom that is mostly men. Again: your mileage may vary.

Well, I wouldn't say that it's worse than any other large group of people when it comes to actual racism/sexism.Though the brony fandom seems more willing to ignore those problem then other fandoms in my experiences.

• Brohoof 2

You can see racism and sexism anywhere you want to see it these days I think it's gone bit too far tbh I mean these are real problems around here but some people just want to search sexism and racism everywhere I think it's ridiculous  

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, Nightmare Terror said:

It’s bloody outrageous mate. People are saying Rainbow needs to be gender swapped and that a lot of people DRAW images of the ponies having *** and doing other things! It’s abominable that people draw 4 FEMALE ponies and make them have ***!

Pretty sure that's not what racism/sexism is about.

Over the years here I have not experienced that. Never had I seen such activities online, however I do not know how this goes in reality, as I'm way to far away from any conventions. But, in fandom itself at least virtual one, that's next to non-existant apart from a few, selected units I guess. My 2 cents on the case.

One can definitely find those things. The question is: when do those things become harassment? Action should only be taken when such content/fan behavior is not easily avoided by those who do not wish to experience it. However, if you go on ahead and actively seek out sexism or racism just to point fingers and scream how hurt you are cause you have deliberately searched for offensive Aryanne pictures, then it's on you. There's also that big can of worms about what one considers racism or sexism. I believe most of us understand that there is a huge problem with the definitions.

I'd like to point out that Poniverse is very strict when it comes to such content, and as far as I'm aware no member is being harassed on the basis of their gender.

• Brohoof 2

I have to just believe older fans and member of the community on this one. I have been actively part of this fandom only for short amount of time and I'm in no place to comment what the situation was before. As @Gestum said, problems like these are somewhat common in every large group that involves individuals from different backcrounds, cultures, ages and countries. That recent revelation about Toonkritic showed once again that this fandom, like all the rest, have severe problems that many are willing to close their eyes from and ignore them so that bad reputation of said community wouldn't stain them too. Everyone's too busy to maintain that positive, warm and cosy aura that it's easy to just interpret all legitimate concerns as a histrionic whining. If/when we notice that there's racism and sexism here in the forums, or in the fandom in general, it should be made possible to talk about these things.

I haven't encountered any racism or sexism, but then again I'm a bearded, balding dude. It's not very freguent situation that someone sends me a sleazy PM and wants to see pictures of me... If I personally haven't seen or encountered something, It doesn't mean that it wouldn't happen. I have no reason to doupt what @Key Sharkz said above

It seems we've gone so far off the deep end that accusing others of such things always has merit. And I really like the point made that you will find what you seek... this is a deadly problem in our culture. It's like the Salem Witch Trials all over again.

• Brohoof 4

Meh, the sexism stuff is fairly widespread. Just mention that the show's target audience is little girls and you'll find no short supply of people blabbering about how that isn't true because it contains action and well developed characters and how girls can't like that sort of stuff.

• Brohoof 1

Sexism is a word that has lost most of it's meaning in the last 2 or 3 years. Sexism these days is just another word for "no fun allowed"

• Brohoof 7

(edited)

From what I've seen, some people like to form their views on fandoms based on the worst members of those fandoms. Not just when it comes to MLP but various other fandoms as well. There are always some bad individuals in every group, which also applies to fandoms. Based on my experience of the MLP fandom (mostly this forum but I've also read some other sites), I can say I've seen much worse in non-MLP communities.

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

I did post images of a racist member who appears to be somewhat prominent within the fandom and the fact that there appear to be people ok with this/turn a blind eye to it.

5 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Yeah, this thread is conforming what I mean.

Okay, Shadow, I’ve seen a lot of posts from you now, and the reason people don’t not tend to agree with you is because you seem to be the kind of person that believes witchhunts are an appropriate response to dealing with people you don’t agree with.

And it isn’t.

On a related note, I’d like to point out, that what is seen as “racist” and “sexist” can very from person to person. In some parts of the world, there are women who would get their fingers chopped off for wearing nail polish. THAT is abhorant.

But on the Internet, you will run into people that think, “OMG, some misogynistic pig OPENED A DOOR FOR ME!! Ugh!!”

If you don’t mind, I’d like you to tell me, what did this prominent brony say that was racist? It doesn’t need to be a novel. A couple sentences/examples should suffice.

• Brohoof 4

This is only from my point of view so I can just offer subjective views. I don't think racism or sexism is any more bad within the MLP fandom than in other fandoms - I've personally seen that kind of stuff happening in all the fandoms I've been in. There will always be hateful people in fandoms and I find that to be a huge shame.

5 hours ago, Yamet said:

Meh, the sexism stuff is fairly widespread. Just mention that the show's target audience is little girls and you'll find no short supply of people blabbering about how that isn't true because it contains action and well developed characters and how girls can't like that sort of stuff.

Well obviously the TARGET audience is little girls (they gotta rake in that toy money), but that does not make it for them exclusively. The show targets young girls, but it is FOR anyone that derives enjoyment out of it.

Not sure I’ve ever seen anyone arguing that it can’t be for girls because it’s got those things, but the argument that it appeals to others that are NOT girls is an obvious fact.

• Brohoof 5

(edited)
32 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Well obviously the TARGET audience is little girls (they gotta rake in that toy money), but that does not make it for them exclusively. The show targets young girls, but it is FOR anyone that derives enjoyment out of it.

Not sure I’ve ever seen anyone arguing that it can’t be for girls because it’s got those things, but the argument that it appeals to others that are NOT girls is an obvious fact.

This. I'm pretty sure most MLP fans are aware of what the show's target audience is. I doubt many would claim the show is primarily aimed at teenagers and adults. :muffins:

5 hours ago, Yamet said:

The "MLP is a show for little girls" thing is generally used against bronies, to imply that they should not watch the show. It's understandable to me that people would defend the show for its general appeal in that situation (though it would be better sometimes to just ignore those comments). To me, the person telling others that they shouldn't watch a show because of their gender (the phrase is almost always "a show for little girls", not "a show for little kids") is the sexist.

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 3

It happens from time to time. You always find those types of people in virtually any fandom... and no matter how long they try to hide it, it usually bubbles out when topics get hot and buttons get pushed.

However I do think a lot of people choose to see it because being outraged is apparently more interesting than being nonchalant. Which of course muddies the water for those situations when it is really happening.

Aside from jokes, I can't say I've seen anyone from the fandom who finds their race, or gender superior. Though I'm sure there are some bad eggs out there somewhere.

10 hours ago, Nightmare Terror said:

First of all how is the relevant, secondly what the hell are you going on about? If artists want to draw ponies having sex then let them, they aren't breaking any law by doing it.