Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Military/Government terms for magic users

Creepermin3

Hi everyone, so I'm working on a story for a video game I'm going to be developing and I need some ideas on some military or government terms for magic users.

here is a quick summary of the setting so far.

so it takes place in a world a lot like ours but it's a little more futuristic as it takes place in the year 2024, but suddenly this universe starts fusing with another universe where magic, elves, dragons and most other fantasy elements exist this event I will be calling "The Rift" for now and at random portals would open up between worlds allowing magic as well as other things to come through, the portals are actually the first part of The Rift later on the universes actually start merging causing all sorts of things to happen including a new continent in the pacific ocean and even a second moon to appear, now again about the portals  if someone happens to be near a portal when it opens they tend to get raw magic energy siphoned into them causing them to develop various powers depending on their personality, now the magic of the fantasy universe doesn't usually work like this (in the fantasy universe everyone has the ability to use magic people just have to research, study, and learn in order to get powers) but the reason it is doing that has to do with the fact that it's now in a world where magic isn't supposed to exist so it is acting kinda crazy, anyway these people who where involuntarily given these powers are kind of victims of a lot of fearmongering and in a lot of places (especially in the refugee camps of places that were destroyed by what ever fantastical creatures have come through the portals) these magic users have to get special tattoos that label them as such.

What I need help with is figuring out some kind of term the U.S Government would use for magic users (words like wizard,mage,witch,mystic,warlock,druid, and other terms will be used but not by the government) Like how in Left 4 Dead people who are immune to the Green Flu virus are called "Carriers" and in InFamous people who have powers are called "Conduits" something like these are what I'm aiming for, so can somebody please help?

(edited)

There's a sci-fi roleplaying game I'm quite fond of called Stars Without Number, where there are people who posses what are effectively magical talents. The technical name given to the affliction they suffer from (usually fatal without training) is called "Metadimensional Extroversion Syndrome", or MES for short. 

In Shadowrun, a dsytopian cyberpunk roleplaying game, those that have any form of magical talent are referred to as 'Awakened'.

There was also a tongue-in-cheek idea I saw a little while ago called Tactical Breach Wizards, where you have a magical SWAT team and clear out rooms full of armed hostiles:

Spoiler

collage-shuffled-1.png

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon

Maybe do what the Conversion Bureau. Come up with scientific terms for magic. TCB calls it thaumaturgy. The unit of measurement is called a thaum.  o maybe the users can be called something similar, thaumaturge, or thurge for short.