Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health How Do You Handle An Upset Stomach?

Denim&Venöm

(edited)

So what do you do if you're feeling nauseous and what do you eat and drink when you are? 

Depending on when it happens, I'll drink a lot of water. Cause sometimes I sleep in for a really long time, so the nausea might be due to dehydration. If that doesn't work, I'll take peptoismal. 

After that, I'll eat (if I can find them) saltines, bread and bananas, as well as drink ginger ale (if I remember to get some). 

How about you? 

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 2

I usually try not to eat too much solid food, especially not anything too salty. :grin: I drink protein shakes in the mean time. I would probably drink some Ginger Tea as well, but I rarely have any on hand. I'm also absolutely sure to stay away from greasy foods; those have a way of aggravating the hell out of my stomach... :scoots: I usually just avoid those anyways, but you get the idea. If it's especially bad, I might drink some water with baking soda mixed in.

Basically, I just carefully monitor what I'm consuming. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I try to eat bland when my stomach is upset; bread, rice, oatmeal, apples and nuts are usually my staple foods. A nice cup of peppermint tea is also really nice, but I drink that with or without nausia :P

Also, if you're in the need for a sweet soothing snack, popsicles are really easy on the stomach.

Edited by Celtore
Forgot about popsicles
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I lay on my left side because I heard that it helps to settle an upset stomach. I also don't really try to eat anything (Mostly because I probably wouldn't even have an appetite anyways) and I don't tend to move around a whole lot either. I don't tend to get upset stomachs too often though, thank goodness :fluttershy:  

Edited by King of Canterlot
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I take aspirin. That almost always helps. If not that then antacids help, but then again, those also have aspirin in them.

I also sometimes drink carbonated water, that seems to help.

I don't have to do this very often, as my stomach is quite strong.

Edited by Soren Peregrine
  • Brohoof 2

Hydration, liquid diet (Jell-O, clear broth), and wrist acupressure work for me. Fresh air as well. It really depends on the cause. If it is a virus ... water ... water .... water. Very few other things will work as your body is doing what it is supposed to be doing. 

• Brohoof 2

It depends on how bad it is. If it's something small I might make myself some peppermint tea (yes it does help an upset stomach) or maybe take some Pepto. If it's real bad I'll just go lie down and keep real still. Eating something if it's real bad is not a good idea for me. It usually comes right back up. :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Liquids usually help simmer it down for a bit, but going to the bathroom is usually the sure-fire way of getting it to settle.

Eat some crackers like gold fish or saltines. They are easy to digest with an upset stomach. Drink ginger ail and Gatorade to help rehydrate yourself. Rice cooked in chicken stock is good as well.

My stomach tends to be very temperamental, so often the best course of action is for me to go lie down until it settles down. Ginger Ale and soup tends to help too. 

(edited)

Something that always works for me is chewing fennel seeds. It tastes like licorice and you can feel the calming almost immediately! Herbs are medicine, my little ponies. Roll credits.

Edited by Lunar Glow

6 minutes ago, Barik said:

I haven't had issues in a while, but when I do, ginger ale GENERALLY does the trick.

This works great.

Also kick it old school like an apothecary and mix a teaspoon of baking soda in some water and chug it down.

I don't get a sour stomach often, but the above two have worked as well if not better than Pepto 

• Brohoof 1

I get these more often than I should...

However, I tend to struggle more with nausea than I do with a basic upset stomach. Regardless, I try to lie down ans close my eyes. I will drink a clear soda such as ginger ale and avoid eating. If my nausea gets severe, I have a medication I can take for it but that's only for extreme circumstances.

I rely on 7-Up and Saltines. It's often good to have at least some little something in the stomach so it has something to work on besides just attacking itself. Medicinally speaking, I would take Pepto Bismol.