Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are your views on fate/destiny?

Luna's Admirer

(edited)

What are your views on fate/destiny? Is it prewritten by God (mean unflexible). Or is it given in our own hands (or maybe hooves) and we choose our path by ourselves. 

Just an idea came to my mind. My views are that:-

Almighty God knows everything before it happens so He knows what a person is going to do with his life, so He writes his fate the day he born. 

This means actions of a person is his own choices and not bound by any prewritten destiny. Let me  know your views on fate or destiny.

Edited by Jeric
Shortened topic title
  • Brohoof 1

I think that everything that you do is decided by you and no one else can have any effect on you unless you yourself let them have effect on you. So basically if you have any problems only one you can blame is yourself.

By moving forward you can grow and learn more of the aspects around you and how everything works. In the end I believe that you can reach a state where you have basically absorbed everything that exists into yourself and create basically your own universe. With that you basically become the existence that is referred to as "God" as you govern your own universe that basically exists within yourself. That is all part of an endless cycle of growth and creation.

What im saying basically is that our existence is basically a fragment of an existence that has gone through all that already and as we grow we separate ourselves from that existence yet still are part of it and in the end create our own existences and govern them as a collective entity after absorbing everything into ourselves.

• Brohoof 1

I do not believe in any sort of higher power leading our actions.

Our own decisions majorly influence how our lives go. I'm sitting here writing this post, but I could be outside rollerblading again. Would probably make me a bit more fit, but on the other hand I could do something stupid and have some kind of accident.

There are also decisions of others that influence our lives, but many of them are made based on something we already did in the past, be it a single action or continuous one, stretching it time. Something we said once upon a time could be a single one. The way we behave on day to day basis is the continuous example.

In fact, I think I'll call my parents now because I haven't done that in a while, and I'm sure my mom would love to hear my voice after so much time. I see no connection as to how some kind of destiny or higher power would be guiding me in this decision, you see.

• Brohoof 2

20 minutes ago, Passion said:

I do not believe in any sort of higher power leading our actions.

Our own decisions majorly influence how our lives go. I'm sitting here writing this post, but I could be outside rollerblading again. Would probably make me a bit more fit, but on the other hand I could do something stupid and have some kind of accident.

There are also decisions of others that influence our lives, but many of them are made based on something we already did in the past, be it a single action or continuous one, stretching it time. Something we said once upon a time could be a single one. The way we behave on day to day basis is the continuous example.

In fact, I think I'll call my parents now because I haven't done that in a while, and I'm sure my mom would love to hear my voice after so much time. I see no connection as to how some kind of destiny or higher power would be guiding me in this decision, you see.

Interesting. I saw what you mean. And even though I believe in Almighty God, I also believe that humans are responsible for their own actions. They can't blame fate or anything for this.

I don't belive in fate/destiny/higher power. And even though I find the concept of scientific determinism interesting, I think that a person's "path", as you phrased it, depends on this person's choices and - another very important factor - random. Random events and coincidents can play a huge part in a person's life. But in most cases we make our choices ourselves and should bear the responsibility for them.

I think our lives aren't necessarily pre written by God. I believe in God, but I think once we pass from this life, he takes the decisions we made ourselves in life and uses that to judge us to decide whether or not we deserve eternal life. Our fates and destinies are written by ourselves, but God still uses that to judge us in the end.  

• Brohoof 1

Fate is an excuse for those that don't want to take responsibility for their actions. 

You can choose what to do and what not to do, don't blame it on some unseen driving force.

• Brohoof 1

There's fate, things that are beyond your control like weather and accidents. But for the most part, you control your own life and how it plays out. Destiny is something you decide, not predetermined. 

• Brohoof 1

For the most part, I don't believe in fate - things that happen to you are by and large the results of your own choices and nothing else. However...  I also believe certain events in one's life aren't necessarily by random chance. There was a single event that happened to me in my life in the last two years that caused me to consider this, which I won't get into. I don't personally believe in any kind of higher power, but that doesn't mean I don't accept the possibility that there could be one; certain forces acting upon the universe, so to speak. In other words, I believe most everything is not predetermined, but there are possibly certain things that happen which just maybe aren't so random.

I do not believe in a god, or fate, or a 'planned destiny' of any kind. To me, life is about luck. You can be born in a millionaire family and never have to worry about anything or you can be born in the slums of wherever or right in the middle. A lot of things from there depend on circumstances and the often problematic human condition.

I think it's something that just happen as you go and make your decision. I don't believe in fate. 

(edited)

God doesn't exist, so it's definitely isn't written by someone who doesn't exist. 

11 hours ago, An Admirer said:

Almighty God knows everything before it happens so He knows what a person is going to do with his life, so He writes his fate the day he born. 

This means actions of a person is his own choices and not bound by any prewritten destiny

That literally makes no sense. In any situation it would be the creator at fault and not the creation. 

When a Programmer make a computer program, and that computer program has a fatal error in it, that is The PROGRAMMERS fault and they need to fix it. 

If the Programmer make a computer program, knows it's faulty, let it run all the way until it crashes, and then BLAMES that program for the faults that THEY programmed into it and knew about before they even ran the scripts, then They're the ONLY one to blame in that scenario. That program was doing precisely what it was told to do from beginning to end, it's not it's fault that its creator is incompetent if I'm being nice. 

Edited by Buck Testa

(edited)
7 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

God doesn't exist, so it's definitely isn't written by someone who doesn't exist. 

That literally makes no sense. In any situation it would be the creator at fault and not the creation. 

When a Programmer make a computer program, and that computer program has a fatal error in it, that is The PROGRAMMERS fault and they need to fix it. 

If the Programmer make a computer program, knows it's faulty, let it run all the way until it crashes, and then BLAMES that program for the faults that THEY programmed into it and knew about before they even ran the scripts, then They're the ONLY one to blame in that scenario. That program was doing precisely what it was told to do from beginning to end, it's not it's fault that its creator is incompetent if I'm being nice. 

We're born with our own abilities and flaws. They aren't errors. Everyone is created in a different way but what a person choose to do with his life is totally depends upon him. We're given our freewill to choose after all.

Edited by An Admirer

I think that the future is the future and that cannot be changed, but our future could be either taking what life gives us or changing it. But if you change it, it is your destiny to. I hope that makes sense! :D

Just now, Lunar Glow said:

I think that the future is the future and that cannot be changed, but our future could be either taking what life gives us or changing it. But if you change it, it is your destiny to. I hope that makes sense! :D

Well, I think it does make sense in a way.

(edited)
43 minutes ago, An Admirer said:

We're born with our own abilities and flaws. They aren't errors. Everyone is created in a different way but what a person choose to do with his life is totally depends upon him. We're given our freewill to choose after all.

It's not a choice, it's an ultimatum. Either burn in a lake of fire or bend the knee in servitude and you better mean it. If a dictator had those kind of rules a sane person would say they were a Monster.

I'm pulling out of this discussion before mods get on my rear for being a meanie. I'll just leave it with my original point, that God doesn't exist, so I do not believe in something like a destiny.

Edited by Buck Testa

(edited)

It really doesn't matter. Regardless if everything is prewritten or not, our lives are driven by a series of interconnected decisions and choices. It's in the choosing where things get interesting, because you have the ability to make decisions which go against what you would normally do. Initiative is interesting in that way, kind of like a misfiring of the branch predictor in a CPU.

Regardless of whether that unpredictability is fate or not, good decision making is something you need to hold yourself to. And above all else, never use fate or destiny as an excuse from making difficult and life-changing choices; your choices could potentially be predetermined, but you won't reach a desired outcome without showing the initiative to start down the right path. You can't lose weight without diet and exercise or earn a diploma without going to college, you need to chase after these things. So use initiative to either make good decisions for yourself, or to hack fate into making you choose good decisions, to achieve your goals.

Edited by Celtore

I don't believe in destiny if that helps you. Fate is kind of iffy thing for me too.Am I fated to do what with my life? Like destiny is something that others people want from you, and fate is something that already happened in your life.

As for fate and/or destiny, I believe it flows like the human concept of cause-to-effect-based time. We can make choices which can widely steer the events of our lives. But sometimes we kind of corner ourselves into ultimatum. Say you don't eat. Eventually, you'll get to the point where you'd eat pretty much anything. With every passing second, it becomes more likely that you'll eat something. Of course, you could just die, but that's unlikely for anyone to decide upon. You're pretty much destined to eat something at some point, but it isn't fixed.

So some things are more or less "destined", but you can always prevent them.

What matters is whether you want to or not.

As for what part the Divine play in this, I will say this and nothing more:

We are divinity

I will go no further on that subject to avoid any fueding

I do not believe in any kind of deity or fate. However, I'm not going to say that I put confidence behind the concept of free will, either. Our brains are a complicated thing, and we may not really have all of the control that we think we do.

I'd no intentions to create a fued b/w relegious and agnostic people. I just wanted to know different views of other people. Should we stop this discussion here? That is if somepony is feeling offended by another. Is this topic is too controversial? Sorry if that was. I think that was enough on this topic because I don't want any feud.

I'll try to not get into religion, but I will say that any god or high being out there is also affected by fate and destiny (unless they are such beings as the three fates from Greek and Roman mythology) Moving on, I think it's safe to say that both fate and destiny exist, but are two different things. Fate is usually associated with death and other negative happenings, while destiny is usually associated with heroic actions and such. Both however, follow the same rules in the fact that both fate and destiny are 'written' by each individual person and being, whether intentionally or not. The person or being can do many different things to change their fate or destiny, but it won't always be what they had hoped for or initially thought. I could go on and on about how this applies to and builds off of other ideas of mine such as the multiverse theory and the possibility of any or every god we know of existing, but I won't because that would be really douche of me. Anyway yeah, those are my thoughts hope you enjoyed. :adorkable:

• Brohoof 1

God gives everyone free will, and even though He may know what we'll do over our lives, it's still up to us to author it. We're here to learn things from our own experiences and from the outcome of our own decisions. Without doing so we wouldn't be experiencing free will, which is at the core of everything and gives life meaning. 

• Brohoof 2

if everything is decided by cause and effect, then, to some extent, destiny does exist. atoms bounce off each other, and that sets things in motion from there. i personally believe in limited free will, since the model of cause and effect proves that we don't have as much control as our brains like to make us think we do. in my opinion, fate, or "effect" is the ultimatum of what happens from all the situations you grew up and lived around, "causes". it's still something that i think requires more research, but we certainly aren't completely in control of our own brain's impulses.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...