Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone here who's also a Thilipsophile.

Luna's Admirer

Thilipsophile (a word created by me) is a short word for those people who likes to be sad purposefully. In other words they find sadness more pleasurable.

I sometimes really love to be sad. When there is no reason I tend to read tragic fictions to feel sad. (I know I'm wierd)

So I was wondering if there is anypony else on forums has experience something like that in his/her daily life.

(edited)

More people do this than you would think. It can be quite therapeutic to make yourself bummed out for a bit. It helps to deal with the shit life throws at you. There might be some science to this but I don't know of it if there is. Just my personal experience.

Edited by Twiggy
  • Brohoof 1

Sadness is just as cleansing as happiness, when viewed correctly.

Being of a melancholy mindset isn't a bad thing - there have been a few times I've just sat back and felt low, but not depressed.  

Personally, I have a music playlist that has a number of vaguely sad songs, and it puts me in just the right mindset to simply sit and perhaps reminisce about an old friend that turned me away... or that one girl in school I thought was beautiful, but she thought I was 'dorkbait' and nothing more... or how much I miss my Mom, who passed away years ago.

The ache of sadness can sometimes substitute the blades others cut themselves with; a stimulation of the emotions, just to reassure yourself that you're alive.  There's nothing desperate or depressing about it - it's just bittersweet.

But sometimes, it's the bitter grapes that make the tastiest wine.  I get it, @An Admirer.

• Brohoof 2

Well only for therapudic reasons do I see a point in that. Otherwise it can more often than not lead to chronic sadness which is better known as depression. And that is certainly not a hole you want to purposefully put yourself in. Enough people already have clinical depression not by their choice, and it's a living nightmare. So not to be rude, but aside from just going through normal emotions for therapuic reasons I see no good coming out of purposefully making yourself sad all the time.

I've never heard of making yourself sad on purpose, I mean I know about like having a good cry every once in while, just to get it outta your system because life been kinda crappy, but after that you always feel better and happy. I suppose if you find this to be a good way to cleanse yourself of bad feelings or whatnot, then I guess it's OK, but I would be careful because too much of this could lead to depression or something bad like that :fluttershy: 

(edited)

Actually I said that I sometimes like to be sad. And if there is no reason I tend to read tragic fictions to feel sad. 

I used word 'sometime' for a reason. I am not depressed or anything but I just felt that shedding a few tears could be really helping sometime.

And as

11 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

Sadness is just as cleansing as happiness, when viewed correctly.

Being of a melancholy mindset isn't a bad thing - there have been a few times I've just sat back and felt low, but not depressed.  

Personally, I have a music playlist that has a number of vaguely sad songs, and it puts me in just the right mindset to simply sit and perhaps reminisce about an old friend that turned me away... or that one girl in school I thought was beautiful, but she thought I was 'dorkbait' and nothing more... or how much I miss my Mom, who passed away years ago.

The ache of sadness can sometimes substitute the blades others cut themselves with; a stimulation of the emotions, just to reassure yourself that you're alive.  There's nothing desperate or depressing about it - it's just bittersweet.

Being sad is not always mean that you're depressed. It could also mean that you wanna feel some bittersweet moments of your life once more.

Edited by An Admirer
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Me.

I need my depression--it helps me as an artist. I feel that my work would be shallow and dull if I were happy. Nobody wants to read a story without conflict and pain, and a suffering author can devise more realistic struggles for their characters than a content writer. 

Edited by Kings&Hooves14

Just now, Kings&Hooves14 said:

Me.

I need my depression--it helps me as an artist. I feel that my work would be shallow and dull if I were happy. Nobody wants to read a story without conflict and pain, and a suffering author can devise more realistic struggles for their characters. 

That's a reason sadness can be prove helpful to an author and artist.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
2 minutes ago, An Admirer said:

That's a reason sadness can be prove helpful to an author and artist.

Yeah...some people would call me an idiot--or even selfish--for not making an effort to be happier. They just don't get it.

Edited by Kings&Hooves14
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, Kings&Hooves14 said:

Yeah...some people would call me an idiot--or even selfish--to not make an effort to be happier. They just don't get it.

I totally understand you bro and you're not alone.

(edited)

Different emotions can be good for their own reasons. Being sad, especially if it makes you cry, can have a cathartic effect. Most people wouldn't think fear would be a good emotion and yet so many people enjoy horror movies and roller coasters. It helps to release certain feelings and bring an emotional balance. I wouldn't dwell too long on anything unhappy because it's too easy to get stuck in that kind of thinking and depression would soon follow. Like anything, the proper balance in all things is the desirable outcome. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1

i do make myself sad for the purpose of how good i can feel afterwards, having pushed out the negative emotions in my head. throw on a sad playlist, cry for awhile, feels really good afterwards.

• Brohoof 1